What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If you are a fan of the film, and are anywhere near Disneyland in Anaheim, I can highly recommend the NBC overlay of The Haunted Mansion. They typically open in late September and stay running through Christmas.

Many Disneyland purists absolutely HATE the NBC overlay, but as a huge fan of the film, I can say that it is not to be missed. The ride is overlaid with lots of references from the film, and the soundtrack also incorporates music from the film.

To my knowledge, they only do this at Disneyland. No other Disney park gets it.

Brian

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ron, IMO this film is FAR superior to Corpse Bride. I thought CB was about a 3 or 3.5 out of 5, while Nightmare is an all-time holiday classic. As far as the music goes, IIRC CB only had about 4 songs in it, and maybe one of them was really good. Nightmare is a full-on musical with a wonderful score.

That said, if the animation style drove you nuts, then it'll probably do so again.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ill be getting this with my preorder of Transformers next week from Amazon.

Cant wait.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I would consider myself a Disneyland purist, been an annual passholder for nearly 2 decades now, and I LOVE the Haunted Mansion makeover, it's nothing short of fantastic. But, let's don't talk about the Pirate changes...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me also reaffirm that NBC is better than Corpse Bride.

NBC is much lighter fare, more fun to watch, and at least one
catchy tune that you will not soon forget.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Aaron and Ron. I'll definitely check this out then. I may just give it a rent first with the option to buy! ;)

Thane101

Agent
Real Name
Ethan
After having seen this update (EXCL: The Nightmare Before Christmas Bonus Clip & Photos! - ComingSoon.net) and seeing extra behind the scenes footage (such as an interview with the guy who did the voice of Oogie Boogie), I was led to believe that these would be included on the new release. But they are not there, I've checked every section of the Blu-Ray and can find no "new" behind the scenes footage (with the exception of the haunted house, and intros by Tim Burton)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just watched this on my Panasonic BD-50, then also tried it on my PS3.
At the start of chapter 3 of Jack's Lament, when he's about to pass through the gate. The ground shimmers slightly.

Anyone else notice this shimmer?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I also think NBC is very superior to CB, which I thought was just ok.

This disc is fantastic. The XmasLand scenes are magnificent and so colorful compared to the rest of the film which has so many greys and blacks.

One of the best HD discs Ive bought.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Disney: why, oh why must you tempt my pocketbook so? I wanted to wait to get a reasonably priced profile 2.0 BD player and this, but you're making it very difficult. ;)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I read that Disney replaced the Touchstone Pictures logo with the Walt Disney Pictures logo and in the process removed the beautiful opening chords of music. If this is true, that's unfortunate. I love those opening bars. It really sets the tone of the picture.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I recall seeing the ground shimmer a bit (not in a jaggy way) but blamed it on the fact that this film is stop-motion, not CGI, and open to small mistakes such as this.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have a DLP Samsung 50" TV.

But since someone else mentioned about a slight shimmer, it might not be just me.

The funny thing is, if I'm sitting on my recliner I can see it shimmer just slightly.
But If I'm standing up watching it, it doesn't have that slight shimmer.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wow, this disc is impressive. Amazing PQ and SQ, one of the best on Blu to date.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
From the The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray disc, there is an example of the DNR or Scratch-Removal work leaving two flawed artifacts in a single frame of the movie.

IMHO, a good catch to show how careful a quality assurance team needs to be when using such techniques.

The Blu-ray frame is compared to an anamorphic 1.66:1 Scandinavian Pal DVD frame at this site.

Jack loses the right black pant leg and the left black jacket cover over his arm in the frame.

Paul

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
Quite a comparison; as it shows both the strengths & flaws of the BD.
Thanks for sharing.

EDitEDbyED:
Too me its not that Jack is missing an arm and/or leg on a few frames.
Too me its that Disney is DNR'ing all these titles.
Bad day for HDM.
Missing information does not = HiDef!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have liked to get NBC to go along with The Corpse Bride (which I actually think is better) but 40 bucks at Future Shop. On the store shelf Jack still sits. It sucks not getting it because it certainly looks better than the DVD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... How noticeable are those DNR artifacts? Do they only show up for a frame or two in each case (like a quick flicker) or do they actually last a whole second or so (or more!)?

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks