What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nelson, its not the memory card. I forget how big my memory is, but it is more than ample. Beside, its not JAVA that is causing this. My bet is a defect in the encode. You described my problem to a tee with disc 4. I have the Sony 1000ES. Plays everything else just fine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rick, regarding the memory card. I didn't think that was it.

This is sure a quandary. Your guess of a bad encode could be possible. Given some people with PS3's that can play the 4th disc, that might indicate another cause. I hope to figure this out soon. I check Sony's site too for FW updates every now and then.

music613

Grip
Real Name
avrohom leichtling
My copy of TZ season 1 is OK for discs 1, 2, 3 and 5. 4 will not load. Thought it was a defective disc. Called Amazon - they replaced the whole set. Problem persists.

I'm using a Panasonic BD30 - the last firmware update for this model was in July, 2009. Any thoughts?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Update: Got the second replacement set from Amazon. Like the previous replacement set, it was sloppily re-shrinkwrapped and lacking the normal factory stickers.... in other words, it's (again) someone else's return. Okay, whatever. So I'm sitting here with three sets.

As I reported in another thread, disc 4 plays fine on my Samsung BD-C6500, but wouldn't load at all in my PS3 (with the latest firmware). So it's not as if I didn't have a workaround for the problem (whatever the "problem" is/was); however, I wasn't content to limit myself to the bedroom to watch disc 4. So armed with three copies, I endeavored to do some extensive testing.

All 3 copies of disc 4 resulted in varying degrees of failure on my PS3. I tried all 3 copies multiple times; they loaded about 50% of the time (the rest of the time, the PS3 gave me an error message). I was actually able to watch "Long Live Walter Jameson" in its entirety on one of the discs, but "The Big Tall Wish" invariably crashed at the halfway point every time I got that far. Moreover, with all 3 copies, fast-forwarding didn't work at all. Also, you know that subtle grinding sound that usually only happens for a second or two when a disc first loads? Here, on all 3 copies, it was constant. The other discs in the set loaded fine, played fine, didn't make undue noise, and had no trouble fast-forwarding.

Onto the Samsung. Happily, all 3 copies of disc 4 played flawlessly. I watched both "Long Live Walter Jameson" and "The Big Tall Wish" all the way through with a critical eye, and saw zero anomalies. The other discs in the set also played fine.

I also have a first-generation Sony (BDP-S300) that resides in my daughter's room. Frankly, it's a piece of crap. Slow as mud, no internet connectivity, big and clunky. I wasn't even going to bother trying it, but in the interest of scientific discovery... well, I had to. And guess what? Disc 4, from all three sets, played FLAWLESSLY. This is a first-generation player WITHOUT the latest firmware (which is 5.50, dated 10/14/10), and all 3 copies of disc 4 (and the other discs in the set) loaded quickly and played without incident. I was floored.

It now appears that the problem is indeed with my PS3 (despite the current firmware) and not with the discs. I'm blown away. I honestly don't know what to think now. I was convinced that disc 4 was defective somehow, but now.... well, I'm stumped. Is it possible that Image was right, and it's our players that are the problem?

I'll probably get another Samsung BD-C6500 for the bedroom and sell the PS3 (I don't do any gaming, and the Samsung does everything I need a blu-ray player to do and more). My wife thinks I'm crazy to replace a player over one disc, but hey, it's The Twilight Zone.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by music613
My copy of TZ season 1 is OK for discs 1, 2, 3 and 5. 4 will not load. Thought it was a defective disc. Called Amazon - they replaced the whole set. Problem persists.

I'm using a Panasonic BD30 - the last firmware update for this model was in July, 2009. Any thoughts?
Yup, it's already been mentioned on one of the threads (might even be this one) that the problem also exists on Panasonic's BD50. The disc seems to work on later models. But just as with the BD30, the last firmware update that the BD50 received was quite a long time ago. (What ticks me off about this is that when I bought this player in 2008 it was the latest model. Essentially, Panasonic stopped supporting it through firmware updates less than 1.5 years after the player's release.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your update Craig. As you probably read in my post above, #96. I have the same experience with my third set, the forth disc is problematic.

That's good to know you have multiple players to test the set out on. I only have the one Sony player. I will see if I can try my 4th disc on another player. The last firmware update from Sony on my BD player was end of September 2010. so it's really new and came out shortly after the TZ set came out. And my call to Sony tech support revealed that they are not aware of any TZ playback issues.

The evidence is looking more like a player issue. Some Panasonic and Sony players are having issues. And some PS3 users have no troubles, yet you are having a problem Craig. I'm puzzled that your older S300 played the 4th disc, yet my S550 will not! I wonder if it's something in the firmware, or the optics. Or your older machine is just more robust. Rick's machine is having issues too.

I'm going to keep on top of this and won't rest till I have a solution. I have been shopping around for a PS3 slim for games. But I want my S550 to play it and not have to use another player.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Another minor update:

The Amazon customer support rep I have been working with called me to see how my third copy of the TZ blu-ray set faired. I let her know the new set has the same problem and won't play The Big Tall Wish and the episode that follows it. She was very sorry to hear that. Because we tried three times and the same problem persists on three copies, the only recourse she felt she could offer was a discount. Until another solution appears such as a firmware update, or another player in my future and I wanted to keep the set, I took the discount.

So I got the set for $50 something. I will try my set on a friend's player to see if his newer machine can deal with the set. I'll keep trying to contact Image and see if Sony has any updates.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Little update on my part as well: While disc 4 will not load at all on my Panasonic BD50 it loads fine on a Buffalo BD-ROM drive that I received today. However: The only episode I skimmed through is A Big Tall Wish and it acts up just as described (pixelation etc.).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's amazing Christian. This is the second example of as ROM drive having issues. Thanks for adding your experience to the list.

And I came across this review site: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/twilightzone1bluray.php

The reviewer also has playback issues. Is Image reading our forums?

EDIT: Christian, I was thinking, could an inability to play on a ROM drive mean the problem is the way the disc is encoded?

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]EDIT 2: On another forum, I was participating in a TZ thread discussing the playback problem. Finally a member there said he heard back from Image. They said they got hold of a problematic set and confirmed, they could not play the disc either and was contacting the replication company. He wasn't convinced anything would come of it. And if he was telling the truth, this is promising news that Image is aware of the problem and could be doing something about it. [/COLOR]

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

EDIT: Christian, I was thinking, could an inability to play on a ROM drive mean the problem is the way the disc is encoded?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
I thought I had told all of you that Image is in the process of a new replication run now. The rep. from Image asked for my ship to address so I'm hopeful. I'm thinking that season 2 coming next week will be just fine. I imagine it will take awhile to author and press a new batch of season 1s.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Trevor,

Yes, I did read your post # 85 in this thread. But it wasn't clear that they got your address for a replacement. I think I did see you comment about that in the other TZ thread in the blu ray movies section. I have not gone over there to look up exactly what you posted, but it sounded like you were not that confident if they'd send you a replacement.

I'm really happy you got through to Image and got news of the replication problem. I think that's great you got an answer! It was positive news that I found that other posting in the other forum that posted a similar story. Yet, that person wasn't confident either of what Image would do. I tried again to contact Image and I have not received any replies.

I was hoping to get some kind of additional confirmation from Image for reassurance of what the solution will be. There hasn't been any kind of official comment except 2 separate postings, one in separate forums that said they got through to Image. How will Image be taking care of the many customers who have discs that won't play? Will they announce that they will replace the disc? Will they suggest we take the set back to the retailer? Why hasn't any major website on blu-ray/DVD (like The Digital Bits) done any reports on this? Maybe they have and I haven't seen it.

I can be happy to keep my set for now and hope that Image will make some kind of statement for how we can exchange the disc.

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
Nelson, I'm sorry I wasn't clear on the issue about Image asking me for my address. I just think it's going to take awhile IF Image will set me a new set I imagine what's happening is a press of a completely new batch of season 1s. This makes me happy since a new replication company took over (Sony) and I plan on getting season 2. I don't anticipate any problems.

music613

Grip
Real Name
avrohom leichtling
Perhaps it would be a good idea if ALL of us who've had problems with this set of discs contacts Image. I'd like to do just that - can anyone out there provide an email address or some other contact info?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I received the Twilight Zone Season 2 Blu-ray set this week and am in the process of preparing my review. I reviewed both season sets on a Panasonic DMP-BD60 with the most recent firmware updates. Although all of the Season 1 discs played through flawlessly, I had a problem with Disc 3 in the Season 2 set. The disc repeatedly froze up and "pixellated" in the latter half of the episode The Odyssey of Flight 33 and there was some audio "popping" as well.

I examined the surface of the disc and there were no dust nor scratches perceptible to the naked eye. I was convinced I might have a faulty disc on my hands since the firmware in the player is up to date.

Even though the disc appeared to be pristine, I cleaned the disc surface with a soft lint-free cloth and inserted the disc back into the player. The disc now plays flawlessly. Is it possible that the disc replication process leaves microscopic particles on the surface of the disc that interfere with playback? I cannot say if this will work for anyone else but it did work for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Timothy, thanks for your update on the Season 2 set. Although I have received 3 copies and all 3 are having the same issue at the exact same location. I'll try wiping my disc and testing it, but I doubt it will work! I hope I do not have the same issue on that episode. I'm looking forward to your review.

Interesting proposal Avrohom to do a mass mailing to Image. I think we have to be careful about something like that. I did send them an email last week. I was very polite and explained how much I was enjoying the set and excellent quality of the episodes and extras. Then I added that I was having troubles with the 2 episodes and I had exchanged it twice and had 3 copies all with the same problems. I think it works better that way rather then to come off upset. I had used an email address for general inquires. I did find some individual's address on blu-ray.com. Though I don't know who they are, so it might not be good to blind side them.

I have not received a reply yet. And I doubt I will. If you really want to do a group mailing, perhaps it would be better to think about how we go about it. There are reports, like Trevor's above, that Image is aware of the replication problem and are working to make new copies. We just don't have any information as to how they will resolve our problems, by replacements or what. We don't need to go and upset Image. But it would be great to get some kind of feedback.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
We don't need to go and upset Image.
Really? I'd be happy to "upset" them if it meant they'd actually wake up and stop ignoring the customers who are buying their products. I sent two courteous emails, and they haven't replied at all. They've "upset" me plenty. I should tiptoe around them?

And now season 2 might be dodgy too? Jesus. My copy will be arriving on Tuesday. I'll scan through as much of it as I can and report back.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Craig Beam said:
Really? I'd be happy to "upset" them if it meant they'd actually wake up and stop ignoring the customers who are buying their products. I sent two courteous emails, and they haven't replied at all. They've "upset" me plenty. I should tiptoe around them?

And now season 2 might be dodgy too? Jesus. My copy will be arriving on Tuesday. I'll scan through as much of it as I can and report back.
What Craig said. And i take it a step further...i refuse to buy anymore Image titles. I will not "reward them" with my money until they fix the problem. Then i will have to think about it.

And it's not because they have a faulty set, i will not buy from them because of some of the comments they have made. To members here and on other forums, they have been mostly silent, but also have been rude when they do talk..."We do not deal with the end consumer!", type comments put a bad taste in my mouth.

They can stick it. Season 2 as well!

DanMel

Second Unit
I just cancelled my pre-order for Seasons 2 and 3 on Amazon. I had Season 2 on pre-order but not going to take any chances. There's no turning back for me as I did have it on advanced pre-order for 56 dollars there and it is currently 69 dollars. I have all season sets on dvd and since I finally got the time element on season 1 that will end my buying of any further sets. My disc 4 will not play on on my playstation 3. Although it does play on the platstation 3 slim which I do not own. The disc will not rip to my hard drive and the others do so there is a problem with it and like you image will not return my email I sent them. I am not rewarding them for faulty disc pressing by buying future sets. There just isn't that much differance anyway in image quality between blu-ray and dvd on my 42 inch plasma. There might be a bigger differance if I had a large projection TV but I don't.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Don't misunderstand what I said about making Image mad. I am just as annoyed by this as you are. I have not pre-ordered my Season 2 set yet. But I may be doing that soon.

My point above is that you'd likely get a response using a carrot then a stick. A certain doctor on a certain spaceship said that once. Image has not done themselves any favors so far by being quiet. I was the one who spoke to Image by phone. The person answering, presumably a receptionist was the one who said they don't deal with the end consumer. I can give them the benefit of the doubt and put that down to a clueless receptionist and not condemn the whole company.

I admit that I am possibly being too easy on Image. I wish the receptionist would have connected me directly to someone instead of taking my number and saying they would call me back. I knew that wasn't going to happen!

So what do we do? Organize a mass write-in campaign? I think writing real letters for snail mail would be more impressive then random emails. Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks