What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how sales were for this set. I never expected it to be available for under $50 so quickly and that tells me it might not have done the type of numbers they were expecting.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I believe that I saw the lotr set for sale around 50 bucks locally at the frys.

I got the set. its fine.

Jacob

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I thought this set was well worth the purchase price. The PQ is nowhere near the travesty that I expected after reading the many comments here (mostly from people who had not even viewed the discs themselves!). No, they aren't perfect, and there is certainly some room for improvement down the road, but I thought FOTR still looked good, and TTT and ROTK both looked very good.

The Theatrical Edition vs. Extended Edition issue was not a consideration for me, since I find each edition to be different enough to own individually (I happily purchased all of the previous DVD editions). Like someone said earlier, if these were the original versions of the Star Wars movies, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So, if you're interested in the theatrical editions, I think it's a no-brainer (and when you break the price down per-picture, it seems even more reasonable). Otherwise, wait for the extended editions. In the meantime, I'll be getting more than my money's worth out of these over the next couple of years.

- Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brent M

I wonder how sales were for this set. I never expected it to be available for under $50 so quickly and that tells me it might not have done the type of numbers they were expecting.
I bought the set for less than this current price when it first went on sale.

Crawdaddy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron,

If you are interested in owning the theatrical versions, $50 is a decent price for the set, IMO. Personally, since I never watched the theatrical editions of the DVD's after the extended editions were released, this is still too much $$$ for my situation -- I will probably only watch these once (assuming the extended editions eventually get released). Hopefully our local Blockbuster will get these in for rental soon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Ron,

If you are interested in owning the theatrical versions, $50 is a decent price for the set, IMO. Personally, since I never watched the theatrical editions of the DVD's after the extended editions were released, this is still too much $$$ for my situation -- I will probably only watch these once (assuming the extended editions eventually get released). Hopefully our local Blockbuster will get these in for rental soon.
Scott they should be there, unless you have a franchise store, My store is a corporate, we got the first two in a few weeks ago then the third movie last week.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mark_TB

I thought this set was well worth the purchase price. The PQ is nowhere near the travesty that I expected after reading the many comments here (mostly from people who had not even viewed the discs themselves!). No, they aren't perfect, and there is certainly some room for improvement down the road, but I thought FOTR still looked good, and TTT and ROTK both looked very good.

I was told by an excellent source that early on in the format war New Line did multiple encodes of FOTR as a trial for both Blu-ray and HD DVD. This was done at a time when New Line was using some DNR on their encodes. I wonder if since it was already done they just used that earlier encode on the first film on this set? That could explain the picture quality difference.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Your could probably deduce this from my review, but the improvements in audio for Fellowship of the Ring are substantial, so if the price is right, I would consider picking it up even with the asterisk associated with the PQ for that particular title. That being said, if you strongly prefer the Extended Editions and will have no interest in the theatrical editions once those are available, you can probably just stand pat. There's a lot of other things on which you could spend $50.

As an aside, I never had a chance to watch the seamlessly branched Limited Edition SD DVD of both cuts of FotR, so I do not know if the compressed audio on the theatrical cut was fixed on that or not.

Regards,

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by TonyD

Scott they should be there, unless you have a franchise store, My store is a corporate, we got the first two in a few weeks ago then the third movie last week.

I checked the local Blockbuster again last weekend (it had been over a month since I last was there), and still no LOTR BD's for rental. I do not know if it's a corporate or franchise store.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hello guys, can anyone tell me if the Canadian release of the trilogy from alliance is identical other than bilingual cover? Same video transfer, audio and features?

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Yes, it's identical. The only time it's not is when it's a Canada only release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks