What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Last Emperor (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"Bertolucci had control over whether or not he allowed Storaro to change it, therefore it is ultimately Bertolucci's change to his film."

I don't know how to answer this,we don't really know how involved he
was,I bet he wasn't there when Storaro cropped the image,changing
the design of the frame.
To sugest that Bertolluci didn't have anything
to do with the design of the frame of the Original Frame in the first place would be wrong.While some Dp's are given designing the frame by one of the many
directors who don't know or care about the Design of the frame,this
is not the case with Directors like Bertollucci,

I can't Believe that Bertollucci did much,He lelf it to storaro,and
we know Storaro's plan,Seems if you want Storaro now ...you get
2.00:1 if not no Storaro
if I am doing a new film and I want 2.35:1 and I could get Storaro
but only if its 2.00:1 I would rather have Storaro.But letting him go
back and crop things is another thing,

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

My understanding is that Bertollucci did in fact see and approve the final version of this video transfer. As did Coppola with Apocalypse Now.

Doug

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
yesterday i got hold on this blu-ray. i didn't bought nor will i do because i wont support this crap-o-rama release. i want this film presented in it's original theatrical aspect ratio!!!

but from what i've seen so far, the film presented here looks very nice. i have only checked a few little parts to get a glimpse of what awaits me. one thing made me wonder: the audio! while i do like dts audio, i wonder why criterion used it on a 2.0 mix. the film was presented in theaters in dolby surround but the dts doesn't support this. you only get audio from the main speakers, the other speakers are silent. this is due to how it handles 2.0 stereo. criterion should've been used lpcm instead or used dts 4.0 to get a proper audio presentation. i also dislike the usage of subs for the hard of hearing as the only option for subtitles and criterion just like fox, warner and universal have this bad habbit in using only these subs.

this is another reason for me not buying this film, even though i'd love to add into my collection.

sorry criterion... but releasing this film inproperly doesn't cut it for me, no matter how nice the video looks.
btw, the trailer quality is a joke. i've seen much better work from criterion on other films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks