What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: REIGN OF FIRE - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
ronsreviews_covers_80428.jpg">

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
I wouldn't have given it 5 stars if edge enancement had been present. So, no, there isn't any edge enhancement on Reign of Fire.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Great to hear about RoF's transfer (of course, if Disney switched to DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD then all their discs could be 24 bit).

The film had a lot of potential, but sadly fell short IMHO. And the ease to which they slaughtered the biggest, baddest, oldest dragon was pretty much a let down. I'll pass.

Did you catch that they modeled the CGI dragons on Vermithrax Pejorative (the dragon's full name) from Disney/Paramount's classic DragonSlayer?

Dan

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
I did catch that... good move on their part as I still think that Vermithrax (I didn't know that was the dragon's name, actually...) is the best looking dragon ever put on screen...Whenever Dragonslayer comes on VOOM, I'm there. It is now permanently stored on my DVR. Great stuff!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Nuts. I'm pretty lukewarm on this flic but your review is making me want to pick it up anyway. I'm turning into a Hi-Def/Blu-Ray junkie. :D

Nice to hear Disney raising the bar with these releases. Can't wait to see how Pirates 1 & 2 turn out.

Andy_MT

Second Unit

just watched this on a 120" FP screen. yes there IS edge enhancement. quite a lot of it as well. sometimes not too bad, sometimes bad (particularly for HD). maybe this was an old master. i still liked the look of most of this film, but the amount of ee gets a bit annoying after a while - nearly always confined to exterior shots.

there isn't anything in my chain introducing this ringing as i have many other HD discs than don't have ee.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

What BD player are you using? On my 93" screen, there wasn't any noticeable EE. Strange!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
using the PS3, over HDMI, 120". only a 720 PJ, but using other titles as a frame of reference that don't have ee (so i know that my setup can produce an ee free experience), i can only say what i'm seeing. it most definitely is the type of ringing associated with ee.

the DVD suffered from EE, and although it's a lot better on HD, it's still disappointing to see. i would imagine they've used an older master for this one. thanks disney. the only thing that makes this tolerable for me is that those scenes without ee (and those with very minor amounts) still look very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks