What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
Max,

My guess is deinterlacer in your video card probably doesnt do a good job in "Video" mode vs "Film" mode. For example, I demoed for my brother two projection options for anime:

1. Momitsu V880 via DVI bypassing the BenQ's Sil504
2. Panasonic XP50 via component 480i using BenQ's Sil504

It was like night and day. The video mode of the V880 softened the picture rediculously. The Sil504 took the image and did the pixel level motion adaptive stuff. Much sharper.

The "other" way I watch anime on the projector is via VGA->BNC breakout off my laptop. I've got a USB sound card that converts to TOSLINK for my reciever. Looks and sounds simply awesome! If you think about it, the 1280x720 projector in 4:3 mode actually has to downscale the 1024x768 image slightly.

From the laptop I'm watching primarily *unlicenced* Fan Subbed stuff such as Sunabouzo, Aquarion, Eureka, Kenran. The Fan Subbed stuff is very professional in quality - really amazing. I confress I'm watching Full Metal Alchemist this way - but I'm also buying the DVDs.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Not much going on but got caught up on a lot of my manga. Well except for Negima, A.I. Love You, and Samurai Deeper Kyo, I think... Read Fruits Basket 8. More Zodiac Member Goodness...

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I finished up Hand Maid May last night with volume three. I ended up really enjoying this series. It was light and fluffy, but the characters where enjoyable, and even the 'bad' guys ended up being likeable. 'B', recommended.

John.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There's a reason he's known as "Kill 'em All Tomino", and it's not because he makes an effort to write happy endings. Some suggest that he has grown to hate Gundam over the years.
As for anime I don't like -- I rented Princess Minerva once. That was a waste of a few bucks. The Anime Encyclopedia says it was based off a video game, which maybe explains why it made so sense and was insanely irritating. I also saw some of that Housekeeping Hamster Ebichu show, and I think it was the most revolting and perverted anything I have ever seen. And this at the end of a night in the Hentai room at a con, where the organisers showed nothing which could be described as pleasant.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Christopher:

Now I'm intrigued by Ebichu :D. If it ever comes out here, I'll have to seriously think about getting it.

John.

Todd McF

Second Unit
That's an odd show. Gainax no less. Intentionally crappy animation - but funny content. I've only watched a few minutes of it though:

The hamster was giving a play by play while its owner was trying to have sex. The guy she's with finally gets up and beats the crap out of the hamster.

Its that kind of show!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Considering some of the stuff I see get licenced, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it got licenced at some point. It certainly seems to get good reactions a cons (at least, the Otakon I attended.)

Speaking of Tomino, I just started watching my copy of Aura Battler Dunbine. He really like to throw you into the middle of the action, doesn't he? The main character gets spirited off to another land and immediatly gets asked to pilot a mech. Will be interested to see where this goes.

Jason

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Todd, 90% of the time my HTPC does an amazing job playing DVDs, including most animes. Captain Tylor looked very good for example. :)

I have a Momitsu as well - horrible for anime. My Panasonic RP91 in progressive mode has some trouble too, but in interlaced mode on my old 40" RPTV looks very very good. However, it seems to add a chroma-upsampling-error effect when I use it with the Benq 8700 - most likely a bug in the Sil504 implementation. :frowning: I know it can't be the RP91, as I've seen an RP91 in interlaced mode hooked up to a $200,000 (not a typo) CRT projector a couple of years ago - absolutely zero artifacts! Hmmm, maybe it is because I used the BNC connectors on the back of the projector instead of the component 480i connectors...

BTW, In a moment of weakness I bought the boxset of "His and Her Circumstances" for $105 CDN at London Drugs last night. Oops.

I was tempted by volume 1 of Rahxephon too...$28 CDN I think. I'll think about it - damn pricey.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Todd:

HTF doesn't support URLing to a place that is considered "bootleg" in their eyes. Best to take the URL off before you get into trouble. Although, you can leave the name of the group intact, but the URL needs to be altered.

Jason:

If you like Aura Battler Dunbine, you may like Ideon, another Tomino's great 80s epic series/movies.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Top 10 anime:

1. Berserk
2. Evangelion
3. Lain
4. Fruits Basket
5. Crest/Banner of the Stars
6. Escaflowne
7. X TV ?

I suspect the list will be eventually rounded out with Last Exile, Twelve Kingdoms, and Full Metal Alchemist, but as always, I reserve judgement until I've watched more of each show.

Classes for the semester are done, yay! So I bought myself a present. FMA vol 2, Last Exile 6, and on a blind buy I got the $27 Mirage of Blaze boxset from Best Buy.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Heh- I'd doubt they can afford it, but if they do get their hands on it, I would expect to see the series by the time I am fifty or so...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I would rather give Ideon to the hands of better companies, like AnimeNation, over companies like ADV.

I really want better treatment of old series.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Woo:

Well, Animeigo better start aquiring new licenses. Otherwise, I'm not sure that they'll be able to stay in business. Of course, they could do something similar to their treatment of Macross, and get a 'preorder' list going.

John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I sorta agree with Kong in that AnimeNation did a superb job with Risky Safety, and I believe they also licensed and hopefully releasing Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu sooner than later.

The thing is I don't know if they can license older shows.. or what they can afford to license, as they area a rather small outfit.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, since AnimEigo's website reports that Robert Woodhead has finally finished editing the script for Urusei Yatsura, they may have time to start work on something else one of these days. It seems like, beyond Macross -- which was something of a contract job -- their major efforts in the past 5 years have been focussed on getting their catalogue of titles out on DVD. Would that some of the other houses had done the same, instead of flooding the market willy-nilly with new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks