What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Got my JP DTS from DVDEmpire two days ago. Sold my DD version to a guy at work some weeks back upon hearing of the newer version of JP DTS. I've heard the LD disk on my system about a year ago and it was impressive. I've upgraded my system quite a bit over the last year and so I can't make a good comparison of the LD to my current system. But having the DD version since its release. I have to say that the newest DTS is very impressive compared to the DD version. I watched it two day ago and enjoyed it very much. A buddy of mine which I haven't seen in about three years came by last night and wanted to check out my system. SO,... In went JP. He could feel his shirt and pant legs move. And couldn't believe how good a HT could sound. I'm running a 20-39 SVS with a bridged carver cube (500wpc@4omh) and a M&K MX-125 sub combo. His comment was. "You must never want to go to a movie theater?!" He's right of course.
One thing I thought was interesting when I opened up the box from DVDEmpire. It was shrink wrapped of course and had the security tape on three edges. But the security tape was already cut. I think the disk were sent to DVDEmpire and boxes opened and disk swapped and re-wrapped. No problem to me. But I thought it was something of interest.
------------------

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Howdy guys:

My call to that Universal Customer Service line was never returned.

I'd call again . . . but I'm thinking more and more about a possible JP: Ultimate Edition. U's UEs provide a marketing hook on which to hang the re-packaged re-release of a DD/DTS dual track offering of titles that sometimes originally had separate DD/DTS releases (sorta like what the Superbit product enables Col/Tri to do with titles that were originally released single layer).

Although many of you would probably join me in criticizing some (all?) of Universal's title choices for their first four UEs (Meet Joe Black, Patch Adams, The Mummy and American Pie), they are impressive from a supplements perspective and I think it's a fairly safe bet that a UE of JP will eventually be released. (Are the AP and PA see-through back packages as cool on the inside as they look on the outside?)

So this broaches the question: which "mix" of the film (the DTS LD or the D2R1 DTS DVD master) would U use for a JP: UE? The possibility (likelihood?) of it being the former, leads me to wanna just hang on to my October 2k JP, buy the JP: UE (when it perhaps streets on December 11 in conjunction with JP III's release??) and have both as a compare-and-contrast memento of this almost year-long bumpy ride . . .

Rather that than swap the D2R1 for the D2R2 now and then get JP on DVD for the third time when the UE streets . . .

Cheers,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks