What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How to balance TV show watching? (1 Viewer)

Lincoln

Agent
Real Name
Lincoln
Right now I'm trying to balance all the show's I'm trying to through without favoring one (even though it happens some days)

So I've got;
M*A*S*H The complete series to watch (On season 3, put kinda on hold)
Get Smart The complete series (on season 2)
Andy Griffith Season 6 (on disk 4)
Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C (Sitting on my lap, just came)
And House M.D. (season 2)

How would you suggest to balance watching them? getting a weekly dose of each one.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Actually, I've given a lot of thought about this lately, because, come the New Year, I plan to seriously dig into my TV on DVD collections. In general, I plan to go the weekly dose route, watching different TV shows each weeknight, to maximize variety. The only shows I'd watch more frequently would be ones that have so many episodes that, even with watching one each weeknight, it would take years to see them all.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The best way to properly balance your TV-show-on-DVD watching is by holding one box set in each hand.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've started watching an entire set of one show before I move onto another. There are some exceptions, like the stuff I watch at my place with the boyfriend (Firefly, Desperate Housewives) or the stuff at his house (Seinfeld, Buffy). Currently working on He-Man 2.2.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: That's classic, David

I'm another of the "variety" viewers. I usually watch an "action", "Drama", "Sfifi", etc 1-hr episode then follow it with a comedy "chaser", like Dick Van Dyke, Get Smart, etc, or sometimes an animated cartoon closer.

I keep track of the viewing with a weekly Excel printout. Why? Well, the reason's apparent with my list : ;)

My current list of "in progress" and "not started" TV/DVD's:

A TEAM SEASON 4
A TEAM SEASON 5
ADAM-12 SEASON 1
ADDAMS FAMILY SEASON 1 VOL 1
BEWITCHED SEASON 2
BEWITCHED SEASON 3
BEWITCHED SEASON 4
BIG VALLEY SEASON 1
CHARLIE'S ANGELS SEASON 3
COLUMBO SEASON 2
COLUMBO SEASON 3
COLUMBO SEASON 4
COLUMBO SEASON 5
COMBAT SEASON 3 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 3 PACK 2
COMBAT SEASON 4 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 4 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 5 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 5 PACK 1
DALLAS SEASON 4
DICK VAN DYKE COMPLETE SERIES
FAMLY SEASON 1 & 2
FANTASY ISLAND SEASON 1
FLINTSTONES SEASON 2
FLINTSTONES SEASON 3
GREEN ACRES SEASON 1
GREEN ACRES SEASON 2
GREEN ACRES SEASON 3
HILL STREET BLUES SEASON 2
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 2
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 3
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 4
I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 1
I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 2
JETSONS SEASON 1
JONNY QUEST SEASON 1
KNOTS LANDING SEASON 1
LOIS AND CLARK SEASON 2
LOIS AND CLARK SEASON 3
LOONEY TUNES VOL 1
LOONEY TUNES VOL 2
LOONEY TUNES VOL 3
LOONEY TUNES VOL 4
McCLOUD SEASON 1 & 2
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE SEASON 1
MOONLIGHTING SEASON 1 & 2
MURDER SHE WROTE SEASON 1
NEW AVENGERS SEASON 2
OUTER LIMITS SEASON 1
OUTER LIMITS SEASON 2
PERRY MASON SEASON 1 VOL 1
PERRY MASON SEASON 1 VOL 2
POLICE SQUAD
PRETENDER SEASON 1
RAT PATROL SEASON 1
RAWHIDE SEASON 1
RIFLEMAN SET 2
RIFLEMAN SET 3
RIFLEMAN SET 4
RIFLEMAN SET 5
ROCKFORD FILES SEASON 1
ROCKFORD FILES SEASON 2
SECRET AGENT MEGASET
TABITHA SEASON 1
TAXI SEASON 1
TAXI SEASON 2
TIME TUNNEL VOL 2
TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT SEASON 1
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 2
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 3
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 4
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 5
VOYAGE TO BOTTOM OF SEA V1
VOYAGE TO BOTTOM OF SEA V2
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE SEASON 1
YOGI BEAR SEASON 1

Yes, I do see the light of day and know that the sun is still shining :laugh:

One reason that the list is somewhat long is that I'm also a sports fan so I'm usually watching a live game in the evenings (NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAA DIV 1A Football).

I rarely "marathon" through an entire series or season set. I don't recall ever doing that but I came close with "Murder One" S1.

I don't worry about returns/exchanges since I order nearly all of my DVD's from Amazon and they have always honored an exchange even outside the 30-day window.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
You just have to figure out something that you want to do with your TV DVDs. For example, I've been watching ``The Dead Zone'' Season 3 (usually two episodes), then I'll switch to watching ``Buffy'' Season 5 (again, two episodes), then two episodes of ``Charmed'' Season 5, then three episodes of ``Friends'' Season 6, and if it's not too late, then a few episodes of ``Get Smart''. Whichever method works best for you, if you only want to watch a few episodes at a time, or just only watch a certain set's episodes until you finish that set, then choose that.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ideally, I have about 5 tv-dvd sets in rotation at any one time. I like to have a couple of sitcoms, a western, one or two hour-long action/drama shows, all to allow optimum variety. Plus a smattering of movie fare, as well. I'm not always lucky enough to have things work out this way, but it tends to be my goal.

I really don't allow myself to get stuck with a big backlog of unviewed material. I'll go through each set within about four to six weeks of purchasing it. Maybe I just don't want that odd pressure that comes from having a huge pile of discs accumulating and demanding my attention. Come to think of it, since most months only have, at best, two or three sets that interest me, I really don't find the opportunity to be buried in a backlog.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I like to mix it up a bit myself. Watch some of this, some of that. I watch a lot of tv on dvd when I travel, so I'll usually finish at least a disc or two of Trek, another disc, maybe two of A-Team, then maybe a disc of Farscape. Makes it a bit longer to get through each individual seasons, but I get to mix it up and in the end have three different shows' seasons completed.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm just watching 1 Episode per week of each show until they're all watched. In some cases it will take more thanh a year to watch them all. (I watch about three hours per evening each night. The Series that will take me the longest to watch will be LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. According to my calculations I'll be watching the "Final Farewell" Episode (The one where they blow up the Town :D ) right after the Vancouver Winter Olympics are over!
BTW I'll probably schedule a Ski Trip to the Canadian Rockies so I can watch the "Games" on Canadian Television, which does a FAR SUPERIOR JOB of Covering this Sporting Event. (There's a Law in Canada that limits the amount of Commercials they can show per hour on Canadian Broadcasts :) )

Dan_V

Agent
I tried the rotation thing and it didn't work for me. It seemed to take forever to get through a set. With my crazy schedule it works out much better if I stay focused on one set a a time. I also think the show has more of an impact if you watch multiple episodes/multiple nights, but maybe that is just me. Lately I have gone as far as watching an entire series before moving on to the next one.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I have a large amount of TV shows on DVD just like most of you. I think the best way is to watch one disc from each show at a time. Most hour long shows have 4 eps on a disc. While half hour shows have 6 eps. Roughly speaking that is. That plan tends to work for me.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I simply just stick to one series set at a time. After i finish that i move on to the next set. I am also big sports fan so that usually takes up alot of my evenings. So i have alot of unwatched sets at the moment.

Sometimes a certain show will take priority and i will move it to the top of the next set to watch list like i did with St. Elsewhere!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As a general rule I don't watch 2 box sets of the same show back-to-back. I like to stretch them out and make them last, especially for a show like Buffy or Angel that are defunct.

Also, I usually do a few sitcom box sets in a row and then a drama set to cleanse the pallete.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen

I get that too, that's basically the only thing keeping my spending in check. I don't call it pressure, I call it stress.
I'm having a b*tch of a time explaining this to everyone. The hell of being me.

So basically I try to only have one unwatched boxset in the house at a time.
The ones I have the hardest time getting through are the Star Treks (Voy/DS9), they just grate when taken in too large quantities.

24, however, is a mandatory marathon.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
For me, I have found out that it's better I watch one season series at a time. I can't watch several series parallel. Because each series requires its own mood and when you watch only that series (or season), you stay in the mood and it's a more satisfying experience.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, I find that watching one season at a time helps me watch more than I normally would. Plus, I like leaving the disc in the player until I'm finished with it.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
Watching one season at a time works if you are really into the show. For example: Star Trek TOS. I watched all three seasons back to back to back. I agree about DS9 and Voyager though, those series will take me a long time to get through.

I try to spread out the shows a little bit because staying in one show can get kind of stale. It's nice to mix it up a bit and have different shows from different genres in current circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks