What's new

How do you view your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Martin_KA

Agent
I have a problem, well it's not really a problem. I have a collection that is nearing 200 movies. When I get the urge to watch a movie, I spend 30min trying to decide on which one to watch.

So my question is to all you movie fans out there. How do you choose on which movie to watch from your vast collection?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I watch whatever I'm in the mood for, sci-fi, action, drama, comedy, etc...

The only time I have for movie watching anymore is (usually) Saturday evening when my wife is at work. I can usually squeeze in two movies with some housework and errands.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have that problem sometimes. Usually I play my favorite new dvd that I just got in the past week.. like episode 3, batman or any other titles..
sometimes I play an older movie.. maybe one that I had not wached in a while.

JACOB

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
This is characteristically anal (according to my wife, at least...:) ), but I keep my library (both LD and DVD) on a custom Access database, sorted by year of theatrical release. I keep track of what movies are watched during a given "cycle" (through which all titles have been watched at least once). I am "required" to watch one unwatched title each week, but beyond that I am free to watch whatever I am in the mood for. This has the added benefit of periodically checking each title for defects...

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Just whatever I'm in the mood for. I sometimes spend 15 minutes just lookin through mine and then decide not to watch one because I can't make up my mind. It's irritating knowing I have 300+ and still think I have nothin good to watch sometimes :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As an emergency food source.

Oh! Sorry, what were we talking about? :)

I suppose the same idea applies to my LD collection. The answer, in general, is that if I have something new which I haven't watched, that goes first. That way I can check for defects, hopefully within the return window.
Beyond that, it's a question of my mood, or the opinios of those around me. I guess I use video [and music] the way some people use drugs, to reinforce or to change my emotional state, and so I will tend to pick something which matches the way I feel. If somebody else is around, and shows signs of wanting to watch something, I find out what it is, and generally oblige -- in fact, when I violate Rule 1 that's usually the reason.

mylan

Screenwriter
My wife and I have a joke, if there is a movie we like to catch on HBO or whenever it is on, just buy it and we'll never watch it again. I don't know why that is but as soon as I know I can watch it any time I want, We never see it again. This sounds ludicris I know but our time is valuable and between work and regular tv viewing, there is not much time left over.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have all my films (over 1000) in an excel file. When I watch one it goes to the bottom of the list. Each film is coded as one that my wife likes or not. When I watch with her, I give her a choice of two films that she likes, from the top of the list (actually I use the genres - "Do you want to watch a mystery or comedy?"). When I'm watching by myself, I watch the film nearest the top that she doesn't like. I also have a separate list of films that we watch once a year (e.g., Young Frankenstein on Halloween, Planes Trains & Automobiles on Thanksgiving, etc.). On weekends, I usually let my son pick a movie (picking two appropriate movies for him from the top of the list for him to choose from). Of course, it's all a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist. Bottom line - I basically cycle through the films. Since there's nothing in my collection I don't like (else I wouldn't have bought it), nothing gets missed, and nothing gets stale from watching too often.

Martin_KA

Agent
Those are all pretty good ideas. I'm think I'm going to try Georges idea. Now comes the beauty of typing all the titles in excel. No better way to spend your mornings than organizing your DVD collection.:)

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
If there's nothing on my "yet to watch" pile that catches my eye (which is rare - it's a BIG pile), I keep a short list of titles in my collection that I haven't watched in ages. Usually something will jump out which suits my mood. The irritating thing is when I'm torn between two choices, and when I finally pick one, I spend the first 15 minutes or so thinking "I should have picked the other one ..."

Martin_KA

Agent
Dave, yes, thats exactly what I go through, I start watching a movie and in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the other movie I should've picked.

The dilemas that come with having a big collection

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Like others have said, I try and watch what I'm in the mood for. I still have about 40 dvds that I haven't watched yet that I need to get to. I've nearly reached a point where sometimes I'll look through my collection and nothing really grabs me.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
I stare allot..then stare some more..then go do something else because I get hungry/internet or whatever..then come back to it..then look at the clock and realize if I start this now I'll never get it all in..so end up picking a short movie..long movies get the shaft with me, hard to find the time. I've been meaning to sit down and watch Lord Jim but who knows when I'll get to it.

Martin_KA

Agent

Dvd profiler has a "movie pick"? what, how why and when, insnae. Had no idea, think I'm going to try and use it, see how it works.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I do the same thing sometimes, with over 1400 DVD's I'll often want to watch a movie and then Indecisive I'll end up throwing something on TV or a TV on DVD disk and end up watching nothing. It's often made me question the decision of owning all these things becase realistically How much would you ever watch? I've come close a few times to picking the must haves and ditching the rest. Ie the James bond's, Star Wars, Trek's etc and the classic films.. never done it thou but come close

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
[Napolean Dynamite]

I watch whatever I feel like I'm gonna watch....GOSH!!!

[/Napolean Dynamite]

:D

Seriously though, if I'm in the mood to watch something, I throw it in. Sometimes I get 20 minutes into it and decide I didnt want to watch it, and if that happens, I pull it out.

If I have to sit there for more than a couple minutes trying to decide, then that means I must not really want to watch something, so I just find something else to do.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
The "I just visited the location" selection. I Went to San Francisco for the first time last year. I came back and watched "The Rock" and "Star Trek IV." When I visited Savannah I came back and watched "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and "Forrest Gump." You could come back from New York and watch almost anything...

The "We were just talking about this movie while standing around at work" selection.

The actor/actress film festival.

The brushing up for a new release film festival. I just rewatched Star Wars Episodes I & II before the Sith DVD came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks