What's new

House Of Flying Daggers OFFICIAL R3 DVD Release Oct 18th! (1 Viewer)

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Ohh come off it!!What's with all the whining?It's only a budget release and it looks fine to me.While it's a long way off a slick hollywood transfer it's still totally clean with vibrant colors.The dts soundtrack is absolutely awesome,i almost wet myself in the Echo Game scene
biggrin.gif

It's a total bargain imho.We will no doubt get an ultimate edition in due course,till then this will do fine.

RichP

Second Unit
It's only a budget release and it looks fine to me.While it's a long way off a slick hollywood transfer it's still totally clean with vibrant colors.

Um.. ok.If this DVD looks fine to you, I'd really hate to see what you consider a poor transfer.

I'd comment on the "vibrant colors", but the blown-out white level kept me from seeing a lot of them.
biggrin.gif

Movie:
thumbsup.gif

DVD:
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Um.. ok.If this DVD looks fine to you, I'd really hate to see what you consider a poor transfer.

I'd comment on the "vibrant colors", but the blown-out white level kept me from seeing a lot of them.

We must be looking at a different dvd because i have no idea what your talking about Rich.This is a very watchable dvd on my setup.As for bad transfers well some of the r3 releases of the 80's HK stuff are pretty dodgy.The original r1 pan/scan release of Roman Polanski's "Frantic" is one that almost had me bursting into tears
frown.gif
.The Remstar release of Baise Moi is probably the worst dvd i have ever layed my eyes on ,i sold that one off as quick as i could
wink.gif

TomDaniel

Auditioning
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned one of the prime reasons it's such a bad DVD. It's an especially bad PAL to NTSC conversion, and of necessity was encoded as interlaced video. It's 114 minutes long, while the film is 119 minutes long. The DVD is blended at the field level, and whether viewing on an interlaced or progressive display (although an interlaced display will probably give a better viewing experience), this blurriness/lack-of-detail is only too apparent.

While it's a long way off a slick hollywood transfer it's still totally clean...

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Eric. To me this mess is anything but clean. A bargain? Yes. A fine movie? Yes. A good transfer? No.

I expect (hope?) that the soon-to-be-released Korean version will be much better. I'm going to reencode my EDKO R3 version to remove the blends and the PAL speedup.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
This link with screenshots will explain the shortcommings of the transfer.Naturally i will be re buying a better version of this film that has been mastered from an original ntsc source.It may be months before an ultimate edition similar to the one that was done by Bitwin for "Hero" becomes available.This is a cheap option in the mean time and i don't believe anyone could say it's a total waste of money.The review by dvdbeaver seems to be more balanced and less hysterical to me.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...ingdaggers.htm[/url]

RichP

Second Unit
We must be looking at a different dvd because i have no idea what your talking about Rich.This is a very watchable dvd on my setup

Ok. Whatever you say.
smile.gif

You seem to be alone in this view though, that may tell you something.
smile.gif

No one said it was a "total waste of money" -- I have no idea where you got that from -- rather, we are saying that it is a horrible DVD transfer, which it is.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another objective review of the dvd that whilst detailing the shortcomings of the transfer still points out that
quote:The Region 3 DVD is tremendous value, offering an admirable presentation of the film at a low price.

How many other dvd releases have come out this year with a sensational dts soundtrack for this price?

Now i don't have time for this anymore i'm watching the dvd for the third time with no discomfort to my eyes whatsoever.
popcorn.gif

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok the korean Starmax version is listed as comming out on nov 25 2004.The transfer should be good if there past record for high quality dvd's is taken into account.They are not listing it with a dts soundtrack as far as i can see though
frown.gif
Guess w'll have to wait and see.

Japan version has a pre order date of Jan 28 2005.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
There are two Japanese editions, a 2-disc special edition, and a 3-disc Deluxe Limited edition. But the Japanese DVD releases do not have English subtitles.
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
That sucks bigtime
confused.gif
I guess it could be a long wait for a definitive version of this film.In the meantime i guess it comes down to picture or sound.I really love the full bitrate dts of the edko release but the starmax is probably gonna look sweet.

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
i heard Edko's planning a special edition release with remastered video and hopefully, with bonus features.

Les Fowler

Grip
The yesasia web site is now taking preorders for a 2 disc dts6.1 release. It is still from Edco , hopefully the video will be improved. But for the price of $20 US I'm going for the DTS-ES and I'll let you know how it is ......

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Les, thanks for the heads up. I couldn't find it on their site (always seem to have a problem with their search engine). I'm looking forward to hearing your comments. I hope to get a version of this film that will do it justice....similar to Elite's ver. of Hero....solid transfer.

Ron

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
The version of House Of Flying Daggers that has just opened in theatres in the US has suffered multiple cuts compared with the R3 DVD release. These seem to be mostly the brief graphic moments of blood letting to secure its cinema rating. Though one cut - shortening Ziyi's death scene
- was done as a result of earlier audience reaction, and actually improves the ending. Check out monkeypeaches.com for the details. This "cut" version then will probably be the eventual R1 DVD release. Would Sony DVD bother putting the blood back in and do an UNRATED on this title?

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
just read a review on the 2 disc special edition of HOFD at avbuzz.com and apparently, the video isn't great. and it isn't that much of an improvement over the first release either. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks