What's new

Honeymoon is over (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Carl,

I have to say the attitude is commendable.
I, on the other hand, would be crushed.
Very sorry you have had issues.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carl, sorry for your troubles. I have to say, I'm one lucky SOB -- over the years I have had numerous Macs, never a serious problem:
I started in March of 1984, with the original 128K Mac.
Upgraded to Fat Mac.
Mac Plus
Mac SE/30
Mac II
Mac IIvx
PowerMac 7200/90
PowerMac G3 (Blue&White)
My first problem ever: after about 3 years, one day it would not power up/boot. Took it to TechServ, it turned out the battery was dead. Total repair cost $8 for new battery.
PowerMac G4 (MDD - FireWire 800) & Apple Cinema Display 20"
PowerBook G4 (1.67GHz)
Latch broke -- fixed by AppleCare
MacMini (Intel)
[I've also inherited 2nd and 3rd hand 2 more PowerBooks -- both still in working order, although I think both had some sort of AppleCare service. I am typing this on a 4 year old, 3rd hand 17" PB G4 that spent 9 months in brutal conditions in rural Ethiopia. Works great, now that I upgraded the RAM to 1GB]

And remarkably, I've never lost a disk drive -- over the years I have bought numerous external drives (first SCSI, then FireWire) as well as a couple of internal ones. The externals were from APS Tech, then LaCie, now I have three from OWC. I've never had to re-install OS X (or OS 1 to 9 for that matter).

And yes, I should backup more. I do, but I'm not systematic about it, and in particular I need to backup all (not just some) of my iPhoto library. Some stuff, like EyeTV HD recordings I'm not backing up, as the amount of space needed is too much. I am fully reconciled with losing them.

All that said, I've had horrible problems with the 4th gen 40GB iPod. I had it replaced twice by AppleCare, the 3rd dead one I just threw out (dead disks in all cases), and went back to my 20GB, 2nd gen iPod that still works great (and it has been used constantly since it was bought -- I had given it away, but the new owner got a Nano, so I got it back...)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Michael, sorry about the HD...I'm encouraged to hear they took care of you however. Apple Care was good to deal with. I was at least left confident that if it comes to it, they'll take care of things.

Eric, the computer seems to be fine. I spent a lot of time getting myself setup comfortably and am stlll re-doing that. One good thing came of this in that I've got my music collection better organized.

Mary, thanks! I'm not sure I'm worthy of such commendation...I was cursing up a storm when it happened. :D

Ted, that's a ton of Macs. :) Do you still have that original Mac? The Museum of Modern Art in NYC has one on display.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm fortunate I've had my Mac Mini for a couple of years and never had an issue, but I rarely shut it down, I just put it into Sleep mode. Obviously not possible with a Macbook if your portable

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks