What's new

home theater speakers stolen during vacation... looking for new ones (1 Viewer)

Derek Kan

Agent
Sadly, my home theater system was stolen from my college apartment over christmas break so now I'm in the midst of looking for a new one. What I had was:

fronts: energy exl 26s

center: energy exl c2

subwoofer: energy exl s10

rears: energy exl 16s

All of that costed me a little under $2000 which I had to work my ass off for the past few summers. But, I guess this type of thing is expected during vacation at college campuses. It sucks cuz I'm a huge music person and these speakers were my babies. I loved them to death.

Anyways, to get on with my post, I was completely satisfied with what I had, especially the fronts and sub, but I was just OK with the rears. At the current moment, I don't have the money to really purchase all the speakers, if any... (because they stole more than just my speakers so i'm pretty much out-of-funds). But, I just want to get a look out on good surround/rear speakers.

I REALLY WANT some sort of dipole/bipole surrounds. Any one have a good suggestion let's say... under 500 bucks? I most likely will buy similar, if not the exact same, speakers for my fronts (energy exl 26).

I noticed the cambridge soundworks newton series s300 multipole surrounds. Any one have any opinion on that?

Oh, I'm not too interested in the energy exl r's because my room setup won't be the way these speakers are intended to be (though it would be nice to have all matching energy speakers). Basically, my listening position is all the way back against the wall and these exl r's are "supposed" to be along the side walls, slightly behind me, which can't work in my room. However, I've noticed that the Klipsch rs3's and the cambridge s300s will probably work well in terms of set up. What do you guys think?

Charles L.

Agent
I just read a post yesterday about a guy that wanted to start over and get rid of his current set-up. I believe he had def-tech 2002's find that post and shoot him a offer.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
That sucks, sorry to hear.

SF stereo & theater systems @1805 4th st in Berkeley has good used stuff from time to time ( i go to the one in SF)

Check there I got a great pair of kefs a while back

Good luck

Grant

JasonWB

Auditioning
Derek:

For some reason, when I was off at college I remember hearing that if you are still a dependant of your parents, and they had homeowners insurance, your stuff at school is covered under their policy. I may be completely wrong but you may want to check on it. Hope you filed a report.

Jason

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Derek, I seem to remember the same as Jason. Definitely check into it. You did file a report with the campus police/security didn't you? I'm fairly certain most home insurance or renters insurance cover things you own that are not part of a car even when they aren't on your property. And many specifically have clauses regarding dependents away at school.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
As long as you live part of the time at your parents' home, then your speakers should be covered by their homeowners' policy, even when it was stolen at your dorm room. Go file a police report. I was a property claims adjuster for 4 months.

Derek Kan

Agent
Thanks for your help people. Actually, I did file a police report and my parents are trying to get the insurance company to cover it as we speak. I'm not sure yet if they will, but I'm waiting for the company to call (they said they would call Monday but they didn't). I am under 21 years, (I'm 20) and I'm technically still a dependent. I also gathered all the receipts for my stolen speakers too... so I'm praying that the insurance will cover it. Let's hope.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Derek,
First off...sorry about your loss, but it will be covered by your insurance. A similar thing happened to me in college about 11 years ago and it was covered by my Dad's insurance since he used me as a massive tax deduction ;)
As far as the Cambridge Soundworks speakers, I have the 300's as my surrounds and am very pleased with them. I have owned them for about 8 months and have a 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 989. My other speakers are the CS Towers, their Centerstage center channel, 4 S300's and an SVS 20-39PC as the sub. The only thing lacking for me is HDTV, but I am waiting for a while on that...still living with my 48" RPTV from Sony which is 3 years old.
Just my $.02.

Derek Kan

Agent
Dave,

Thanks for your input. About your surrounds, can u just hang them on the walls? Or do u have to buy separate wall mounts or speaker stands? With my previous surrounds, I had to buy these $50 wallmounts that were a pain to install. I rather just have it so that the speaker comes with a template where I am supposed to screw nails into the wall at certain places, and then the speaker just hangs on those screws/nails. Thanks.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Derek,

Yes, you can mount them on a screw. In fact, a screw comes in the box as well. I have my rears mounted on brackets though because they are higher than they should be so I have them facing down towards the seating area. Which Cambridge store have you been going to? The one at Sun Valley Mall has a couple of good audio guys at it. I would go and see them if you haven't already.

Dave

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I believe the one by SFO is an outlet store

I went there a while ago; they had some great deals

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I believe the Cambridge Soundworks Outlet store near SFO has been closed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I believe they moved over to The Great Mall in Milpitas.

Derek Kan

Agent
I'm actually in LA right now with my parents, but when I get back up to the Bay Area, I'll check the outlet out in Milpitas. I also did check out hifi.com. Their prices are pretty good. $299 for those surrounds. It looks tempting, but I'm going to have to wait til the whole insurance thing comes to a close. Grrr... could be weeks or months!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks