What's new

Home Theater Plugged To Computer (1 Viewer)

Zac_p

Auditioning
Is it possible to plugg a Home Theater in computer and enjoy GAMES, MUSIC, DVD.

Does the system use the 3d gaming sound effects or does it ignore the stantards and make impossible 3d sound.

And please, if possible,

recommend a Home theater model
recommend a soundcard

regards

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
There are now a couple of options of getting 5.1 audio to your receiver.

- A sound card with 5.1 analog outputs (M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or SB Audigy 2)
- An AMD based system with the nVidia2 motherboard (The nVidia2 chipset can output Dolby Digital 5.1 through it's digital output)

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I was gonna say get an Audigy and use the 5.1 analog output and run them into the 5.1 input on a HT reciever should work just fine.

Zac_p

Auditioning
?!!!!!!!!! ok, first problem, my system is,

P4 2.533 533fsb 512ram and Asus p4s8x motherboard

I though about get an Audigy 2 and maybe go for 6.1 support in the Home Theater because this card is supposed to include this standard.

So is really not possible to plug throw a pentium with asus??? only AMD !!!!

regards

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
ok you lost me on that last one, Asus makes boards for both Intel and AMD chips, but no you cannot use an AMD on a board made for intel.

Zac_p

Auditioning
i know that i cannot plugg an amd core into an intel made mobo but the question is.... are you really sure i cannot plugg a HT on an intel based comp????? why am i supposed to be able to get that on amd pc an not in intel based one??????

that really makes no sense for me???

thanx

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
what they were saying is the Nvida chipset AMD boards have a 6channel output, but in your case easiest way to get 3d audio to your HT would be to use an audigy/audigy2, take the 6 channel analog out and hook it up to the 6 channel analog in on your reciever if it is so equipped like you would for DVD-A/SACD.

Zac_p

Auditioning
well now i´m more sure about what i need.
thank you very much.:D

looking for an Audigy 2, btw there are 3 models and the difference is settled on inputs an outputs do you know wich model will be more suitable. I think the basic is not usefuul at all for this so ill chech platinum and platinum ex (i think those were the models)

thx

KenE

Grip
back to the original request,

soundcard- M-Audio flavor (the Revolution is nice!), or do some reading at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org for even more obscurely named cards.

home theater model- look through the HT Basics forum, try for seperates if they fit your budget

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
The Nforce2 motherboard from Nvidia actually outputs real-time encoded Dolby Digital via Toslink (same thing the Xbox has), other than that, you need to output discrete analog channels.

Another concern is video output from the PC to your TV.
I purchased the ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro and connected my PC to my TV via the component video connection.

My HDTV doesn't do 720p, and I believe this is the only way to go. Both 480p and 1080i were nearly nearly useless, and the screen format, even at 16x9 was terrible. leaving off the top and bottom of the screen (no toolbar!).

If game companies put widescreen, HDTV resolution into their games (which would be simple for most first person shooters and driving games) I could see keeping the card, but as it is, most games will be cut off, scrunched, and otherwise pretty ugly on the HDTV.

So as it is, my only HT game system is the Xbox and the very few games with 16x9 and decent gameplay.

Hopefully as technologies converge and HDTV becomes more widespread options will increase, but for now, the solutions are primative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks