What's new

Hardware Review Epson LW-600P: How To Better Organize Your Entire Blu-ray and DVD Collection (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

EPSON
LW-600P
App-Enabled Portable Label Printer

By Ronald Epstein
September 2015

When Epson asked me if I was interested in reviewing their latest label printer, I felt a light bulb go off in my head. I have had a project in mind for quite some time, had put it put it on the back burner, and now I had the perfect excuse to execute my plan...

I was finally going to organize my huge home entertainment library!

Out of the box, the Epson LW-600P has everything you need to get started with your first project, including a sample cartridge of labeling tape. Simply plug it into power and connect the included USB cable to your computer. Drivers and labeling software can be obtained online through a link provided with the Quick Setup tutorial.

While the Epson LW-600P makes a great desktop accessory, it can also be used on the "go" when traveling or out in the field. You can put it in your toolbox or travel bag. Utilizing bluetooth connectivity and AA batteries, you can print wirelessly from any smart device.

There are a wide range of durable adhesive label cartridges in tape widths of 6mm (1/4"), 9mm (3/8"), 12mm (1/2"), 18mm (3/4") and 24mm (1"). The printer is compatible with a variety of tapes, including iron-on, glow-in-the-dark, metallic, reflective and ribbons.

At first, it was odd for me to see that that Epson has marketed this printer more towards the professional class, i.e. electricians and installers. rather than hobbyists. However, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Hobbyists don't really need to throw batteries into this printer and travel to different places with it. For my needs, as a hobbyist, I just want a desktop label printer. To be able to use it with a smartphone and tablet app, is just a huge bonus.

So, getting back to my project...

I have a massive library of Blu-ray and DVD movies that spans several rooms in my home. The Blu-rays and DVDs are shelved separately, and organized alphabetically by studio. I thought it would be a great idea to create dividers with customized labels to give the library a more decisive indication of how it is being broken down by studio.

Epson offers a full version of their editor for Windows and a lite version for Mac. It is a free download from their support site. As you can see in the screen capture above, I was able to easily import an image of the Columbia Studios logo that I downloaded from the Internet. You can easily import any graphic or photo to give your label a more professional look or to add a personalized touch. The editing software includes over 100 label design templates and 400 symbols.

From computer to printer. A perfect label complete with my selected image!

And look how great using a blank DVD case with customized labels created on the Epson printer make the collection look more organized!

For those of you that want to throw some AA batteries into the LW-600P and take it on the go, there were no problems establishing a bluetooth connection with an iPhone 6. From what I could find, Epson offers two apps that allow you to create your own customized labels. I have provided screenshots of both iLable (left) and Datacomm (right) that I downloaded from the app store. Datacomm seems to be geared more towards electricians and professional installers. That being said, since wiring is a big part of our home theater hobby, this printer seems perfectly suited to label any connection to and from speakers, receivers, and other components.

Moving? Take a photo of your inventory stuffed inside a packing box. Assign a QR code to your label. When you arrive at your new location, simply scan the QR code with your smartphone/tablet to recall that photo of what's inside your sealed box.

So, I am pretty happy with my new printer. As I stand back and look over my shelves lined with films, properly organized and labeled, I feel a real sense of satisfaction.

Hope I have been able to inspire some of you to start organizing!

Click To Play Above Video

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Ron! I currently go between alphabetizing my movies and having them in "groups" (ie. Disney, Marvel, Star Trek, etc.). There's advantages and disadvantages to both, obviously. I've often thought about dividers to make searching easier and this may give me the push.

And we can use the printer to print labels for other things...like the seemingly thousand spices in the spice rank I can't keep straight!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jason,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Epson gave me a handful of different sized labels to try. None of them were big enough for this task.

I went to Staples and picked up their LabelWorks 18 mm (3/4") tape. Found that to be the perfect size for nice bold labels that stand out when applied to the divider.

Here is a photo of one of the dividers...

DSC00773.JPG

And, yes, labeling gets addictive. I will be labeling everything in the home! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks