What's new

Home Depot doesn't cut MDF anymore? (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I just went to HP to get some MDF. Unfortunately, they don't cut MDF anymore :frowning: The guy there said it's against regulation now. The darn thing is 4x8, too large for my car. I went home empty handed :angry: Any of you guys know where I can get MDF and cut into couple smaller pieces to fit in my car? I don't have a pickup truck.

TIA

Alex,

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I just bought a sheet from Lowes, and they cut it up for me. Also, my Home Depot sells 2' x 4' MDF and 2' x 2' MDF.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I called Lowe up and they said they do cut MDF boards. So I went there thinking that I should be able to get the MDF. To my worst luck day, they ran out of 3/4 thick, only 5/8 left... Damn... waste my gas... Everything went bad today, I went return a motherboard/cpu combo but I forgot to bring the cpu :frowning: Feeling like to pick a fight w/ the dude that helps me :D Oh well, perhaps tomorrow I will have better luck...

Alex,

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator

Bob, I didn't see 3/4" thick though. They only have the 1/2" thick :frowning:

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Have you tried a different Home Depot? I had no problem getting my MDF cut to exact specifications for my flexy a couple of months ago.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
i think the only thing at lowes that is clsoe to MDf is 3/4 partical board. HD is the only place i knew of that 3/4 MDF is regularly avialable, and if they dont cut it anymore then i am screwed:frowning:

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I just got some cut last week at HD. Ask the folks at the customer service desk if this guy was feeding you a line.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if it's a hazardous material issue. MDF is usually made with a urea-formaldehyde resin which some people are sensitive to. Also, it turns into a pretty fine dust when cut.

In fact, the dust is the reason I have HD cut it for me! :) Bummer if they're not going to do it anymore.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
How about buying or borrowing an 18-24 volt mini-circular saw and cutting it in the parking lot yourself. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Several HD in my area carry 3/4" and 1/2" MDF in full sheets and in 2x4 sheets. Lowe's only seems to have 3/4" MDF. I've never seen any 5/8" MDF in any HD or Lowe's but I know ol' Hank has picked up some out there in the great nation of Texas. :)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

when I had my 4X8 sheet ripped down, they had a nice panel saw with a complete dust system there was absolutely no problem with the dust. It might be that the other store doesn't have a dust collector.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
In the nation of Texas, we get what we want, including 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" MDF and they cut it at HD and Lowes, or we draw our six-guns and shoot out the lights.

If they do discontinue cutting MDF, I think their reasoning would be something like:
1. Hazardous, messy dust.
2. MDF is abrasive and very wearing on saw blades.
2. MDF is a low-value sale - a few minutes labor to slice up a $15 sheet is not a profitable situation.

Here's what I did last time: I rented a Lowe's pickup for $20, loaded 5 sheets of 3/4" MDF, drove it home, unloaded it, drove the truck back, all in an hour.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Go up to the customer service desk, and tell them that if they don't cut that wood for you, you will take all your business to Lowes. They should jump right on it. I got a 250 foot spool of RG6 Quad shield for 15 dollar less than marked because Lowes had it on sale. They didn't even call to find out, just reduced the price to match plus an extra 10%. If they are looking at saving money (or keeping customers away from the comp), they should wise up.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I was fed the same line, but convinced the guy that it would not fit it my car otherwise. Now if they sold 2x4 sheets of mdf this wouldn't be a problem.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

You need more kids!

Once I was forced to buy a minivan, I chose the Honda Odyssey because you can fit a 4x8 sheet flat in the back with the seat folded down. No need to rent the truck, just have a big family.

That said, my Home Depot cuts my mdf for me for free. . .

Wes

Rich-R

Grip
I just had a sheet cut in PGH, PA at a Home Depot. Although the guy did complain about it hurting his back lifting the mdf (note, I had the other end). The guy looked like he was in his mid 20's. Kids these days!!

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went to a different HP close to my work place today. They said that they won't cut MDF boards anymore. Due to hazardous materials/chemicals, they won't cut MDF boards anymore. You guys are lucky to have them cut. Look like I have to go to local Lowe's :angry:

Alex,

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
When I bought my first sheet of MDF at a local lumberyard, (Home Depots weren't in my area yet.. now I've got about 6 of em!) the guy cut it for me to fit into my car with no dust collector.... there was dust flying everywhere! And, it didn't look like they ever cleaned up sawdust... it was up to his ankles around the saw!

The place burned down a few years later.. no lie.

I would bet a Home Depot employee took a little worker's-comp related vacation due to MDF dust exposure and ruined it for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks