What's new

Hill Street Blues abandoned? (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Two problems have affected the DVD sales of HSB and NYPD Blue: they have been off the air for a while and one show (NYPD Blue) has been shown in reruns for a long time (or not currently airing in reruns anymore). HSB might have had DVD sales helped if it was actually being shown on some cable channel now.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I thought the St Elsewhere cover was a half-arsed attempt to emulate the cover art of Gray's Anatomy (the emphasis on little squares). Which in itself says "we have no confidence in this show on its own merits, but if you like Gray's maybe you'll like this too."

Andrew!A

Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't noticed the similarities. That's funny.

Even more likely is that Fox told their creative agency (or their in-house designers) that this was a low budget release and that they didn't want to spend more than $1000 on the packaging design. (Believe me, this is not far fetched.)

When faced with severe budget restraints (which translate to severe time restraints, since agencies bill by the hour), then square cropping photos is a quick, simple solution. Much easier and faster than trying to do a more intricate design solution.

No time was spent on the typography. It's very clumsy, which makes me think it was either done in a big hurry, or it was done by a junior designer with no skills.

The Photoshop airbrushing on Denzel is incredibly amateurish. He looks like he's had one too many rounds of plastic surgery.

I could go on, but it pains me too much!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I bet you they had to take screen grabs from old video sources for the composite. Knowing how crappy that usually is, it's extremely difficult to get a decent print out of that, so I can't blame the artist.

If this is the case, I would say the artist is more professional than what any amateur would do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I was thinking more along the lines of the graduating high school senior with a bad case of acne who had his yearbook photo "fixed" by the portrait company! :D

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Any news regarding season 3?? I am so angry that they have abandoned plans to release it... It's just typical any 70's-80's show released on DVD is virtually known not to make the complete set on DVD apart from say MacGyver or Columbo etc... WE WANT HSB S3+!

TV_Fanatic

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I really think classic series like HSB should be released the way TimeLife is releasing Get Smart.

They're releasing the whole series as a box set first, at the same time they're releasing the first season as an individual set. That way, if the individual sets fail to sell, they don't have to keep making them, but at least the entire series is out there for those willing to make the investment.

ALL shows no longer running new episodes should be released this way.

Andrew!A

Stunt Coordinator
I sent an impassioned email to the Foxdrop email addy, and just got a reply. Short and succinct:

-----------

Hello,
We do not have a release date available for season 3.

Thank you
Fox Consumer Services

-----------

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wrote to the address above and asked about NYPD Blue Season 5. Here is the response I got:

Not entirely negative, so I guess we will see.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I contacted them aswell, got the same reply... *Hopefully* they've just delayed it a bit, realized they were releasing them too quick? lol... One can hope.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Is the dropping of HSB just R1 or does it apply to all regions? I'd happily buy it from Japan or Europe if the series is going to be completely released in another region. :eek: :frowning:

Andrew!A

Stunt Coordinator

It's a different company doing the releases in the UK (Channel 4, I believe), so it's possible.

But be careful (out there!)... I've read that some of the episodes on their first two season releases were edited. I think they may have been the syndicated versions.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I'll contact C4 and let you know here ASAP -- would be nice to have something R1 or 2, even though Im in UK I bought R1 due to the box set of R2 looking crap

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Got this reply from Channel 4:

No plans at present, I am afraid. Sorry to disappoint you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks