What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
On a side note, probably wise not to have this as the last episode of the season. Can you imagine waiting until March after that ?? :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was a wise decision. People are going to need to see the aftermath right away.

I watched the fan reaction video posted above. Funny stuff.

Part of me is so happy that GoT is getting the recognition it, IMO, deserves. When the show was first announced I was wondering how they'd translate these fantastic books into a show, and would they get the mainstream public to watch. I think it's safe to say they've succeeded on both counts. Hopefully the show writers will find a way to translate A Feast for Crows and a Dance with Dragons successfully as well.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Question about a wedding guest who wasn't there in the books:

Was that the Blackfish at the wedding? The guy who Cat called "uncle?" And if so, did he escape last night? He has a continuing role in the books.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Charlie Campisi said:
Question about a wedding guest who wasn't there in the books:

Was that the Blackfish at the wedding? The guy who Cat called "uncle?" And if so, did he escape last night? He has a continuing role in the books.
I read that he went out to take a leak and that got him out of the hall. I didn't notice when I watched, though. If he did leave the hall then I expect we'll see him escape next week. Based on the preview we're going to see Robb's army killed. Who knows, maybe we'll see them sew the direwolf's head onto Robb's body as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Regarding the scene with Arya and the Hound, I still feel it was pointless, and any character development was either too early, or will be surely undone in an upcoming scene (that should be coming up soon, although it may be postponed until next season). Specifically, regarding that upcoming scene (spoiler from book 3):

The scene at the Inn at the Crossroads, with Polliver, the Tickler, and the squire. Arya mortally wounds the squire, and then gives him mercy, but also massacres the Tickler in a gore-filled fit of rage. Maybe the scene at the cart shows how she can be merciful, but in my opinion, it's not a large part of who Arya is in the books (either before or after her voyage across the Narrow Sea). When Arya recites her nightly prayer, and skips the Hound (though she adds him back in), that scene does far more work establishing her emotion--she's almost forgot Mycah, for instance, and her hatred toward the Hound is clearly diminished, despite what she convinces herself of. There is also the interesting factor of Arya's rage arguably increasing as soon as she gets Needle back.

Additionally, the development of the Hound is dealt with much better in this scene, as well, with his comments regarding Sansa, and his actions toward Arya (he's actually kind, though his language is gruff).

This is all by way of saying that this scene (which is dealt with a throwaway paragraph in the book) did nothing meaningful in the episode. If it had to occur at all for development purposes, it would have been better placed in contrast (in the same episode) with the upcoming scene at the Inn at the Crossroads. In this episode, while there is a minor benefit to having some "mercy" to contrast the Red Wedding, I feel it simply took up valuable time that could have been better spent developing the tension.

One other thing that I strongly disliked with the Red Wedding was the line from Lord Bolton about the "Lannisters send[ing] their regards." The show previously included the line with Jaime personally sending his regards to Robb. The reader/viewer is supposed to think, albeit briefly, that perhaps Jaime himself had a direct hand in the Red Wedding, once again placing him in a bad light (after chapters of redemption). It's deftly done in the book, and a missed opportunity in the show. Why include the line from Jaime if you aren't going to get the line from Bolton correct?

Oh well, I'll just let the episode slide on by, since I'm in the minority with thinking it wasn't just inferior to the book, but actually poor :)

It won't affect my enjoyment of the series--I'll just pretend the episode was crafted perfectly!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
Feel like I have been punched in the stomach and don't want to watch anymore (but knowing full well I will be back next week for more!!) You have to hand it to Martin and his books and the show - they have created such compelling characters and dynamics that even losing secondary characters is annoying, but when the primary ones fall it is devastating. Reading the interview with Martin on the scene, you can see his logic in that Ned's death meant Robb had to go as the expectation of his son rising up was obvious and how even he struggled with this moment. But I wanted more Catelyn - Fairely deserves an award for this season.
I sort of felt that Robb got what was coming to him, so I wasn't as upset as some people. In fact, going into this episode I almost felt it would be a cheat if the show didn't kill Robb off. That being said, the first forty minutes or so totally bamboozled me into a false sense of security, such that the last ten minutes really did feel like a rug being pulled out from under me. David Bradley excels at playing devious, miserable old cocksuckers.
Quentin said:
Part of the reason I always felt the Red Wedding works in the books is because it is pretty quickly tempered with (spoiler)
Other non-book readers like myself: definitely don't click on Quentin's first spoiler in this post. It's a doozy. I clicked on it by mistake and regretted it instantly. Not Quentin's fault in the slightest, since he was diligent and conscientious about spoiler tagging it and I just screwed up. But those risking a peek at some minor spoilers should definitely avoid this one.
Simon Massey said:
On a side note, probably wise not to have this as the last episode of the season. Can you imagine waiting until March after that ?? :)
I agree 100 percent. If this was it for the season, I think I'd have been throwing things at the television. Much like the first season when Ned is beheaded in episode 9 and then episode 10 was like the exhale in the aftermath. I think that's necessary to making the year long wait bearable.
Josh Dial said:
Regarding the scene with Arya and the Hound, I still feel it was pointless, and any character development was either too early, or will be surely undone in an upcoming scene (that should be coming up soon, although it may be postponed until next season).
I didn't read your spoiler, but I thought the Arya stuff this week was crucial. Sometimes I think of this show as "Arya: Genesis of a Sociopath" because each event seems to make her colder and harder and crueler. The scene at the cart shows Arya reflecting a bit of her father, being noble and showing kindness, albeit of a hard sort. And what's her karmic reward for that noble action and kindness? Standing on the sidelines while her mother and brother and betrayed and assassinated in truly horrific fashion. Everything that's supposed to shape adults into empathetic, responsible, caring human beings, Arya's getting the opposite of. Much like Carl on "The Walking Dead", we seem to be watching this harsh world slowly transform her into a monster.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam Lenhardt said:
I didn't read your spoiler, but I thought the Arya stuff this week was crucial. Sometimes I think of this show as "Arya: Genesis of a Sociopath" because each event seems to make her colder and harder and crueler. The scene at the cart shows Arya reflecting a bit of her father, being noble and showing kindness, albeit of a hard sort. And what's her karmic reward for that noble action and kindness? Standing on the sidelines while her mother and brother and betrayed and assassinated in truly horrific fashion. Everything that's supposed to shape adults into empathetic, responsible, caring human beings, Arya's getting the opposite of. Much like Carl on "The Walking Dead", we seem to be watching this harsh world slowly transform her into a monster.
It may be safe to read my spoiler after next week's finale, as the events (actually very minor and barely a spoiler at all--I was just being cautious) ought to occur then, or very soon next season. A non-spoiler summary of my thoughts are that the impact of the scene will be quickly reduced, or would have been better placed alongside other scenes, and that any kindness shown in the show isn't really reflected in the books. Rather, the chapter in the book speaks to Arya's understanding of death and what it means to kill. It's not so much mercy or kindness, but rather what it means to be a tool of death.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
todd s said:
Holy crap on a stick!! Just saw tonights episode....never read the books. So the red wedding was quite a shock. Killed half the fricking cast. Frey was one pissed off scumbag. I did read in a GOT wiki that this betrayal broke one of the oldest rules of Westeros...when you welcome someone into your home. No harm should come of them. This turns the Frey's into pariahs.On another note. Wonder why Jon Snow left his women after she defended him. She looked pissed.Sean, I agree....I too want some serious revenge on the Lannisters and Frey's.
Totally agree with everything. That was truly jaw-dropping television, I can't remember the last time I was this shocked.

I don't get those who are now freaking out and hating Martin or HBO for this. Whaddya expect? You don't get warm and fuzzies on GOT/Ice & Fire.

Thinking back, this makes the observation that Sansa Stark could be the key to the north all the more prophetic, and why Tywin married her off to Tyrion. Of course, they don't know that Brann and Rickon are still out there.

Here's hoping to some relief next week -- I did get spoiled on something and if it does happen next week, well...

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Of course, they don't know that Brann and Rickon are still out there.
I think they do know. Since Theon told his torturer, and I at least suspect that guy being a tool of the Lannisters. That Tywin is a pretty clever guy.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Dheiner said:
I think they do know. Since Theon told his torturer, and I at least suspect that guy being a tool of the Lannisters. That Tywin is a pretty clever guy.
You might find a clue to your suspicions by reviewing some of the middle tier house sigils...

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Question for anyone that has read the books (as i have not).

In the books, are the Chapters titled? I guess my question is in the book is the chapter(s) when this all goes down called "The Red Wedding"? Or does it just eventually become how it's referenced later in the books.
Thanks in advance.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Chad Erickson said:
Question for anyone that has read the books (as i have not).

In the books, are the Chapters titled? I guess my question is in the book is the chapter(s) when this all goes down called "The Red Wedding"? Or does it just eventually become how it's referenced later in the books.
Thanks in advance.
The chapters are titled with the names of a character. For example, a chapter named Tyrion would be written about the story from his point of view, etc. I can't recall but I believe the Red Wedding was a Cat chapter. I'm 99% sure it's Cat's as that makes more sense with her slowly realizing what's going on.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
You might find a clue to your suspicions by reviewing some of the middle tier house sigils...
I know who it is, Charlie. But since he's not been "show-named".....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Jim_C said:
The chapters are titled with the names of a character. For example, a chapter named Tyrion would be written about the story from his point of view, etc. I can't recall but I believe the Red Wedding was a Cat chapter. I'm 99% sure it's Cat's as that makes more sense with her slowly realizing what's going on.
Yes, Cat. I haven't read the books, but I've seen descriptions of the difference between the way it plays out in the books and the way it did on TV, and said descriptions make reference to it being told from Cat's POV (including her thoughts and her descent into madness before her throat is eventually cut).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks