What's new

Hard Drive on Network for movies (1 Viewer)

beetle_slayer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I've been searching several sites and can't seem to find the answer. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction. My search words might be different than needed.

OK. I need a hard drive on my fios network for general storage of pictures, songs, etc. I also want to back up a few frequently watched kids movies that I can play through either my fios stb or my Pioneer BDP 330.

The question arises in whether or not I can use one drive for this (ethernet) or will I need 2 (1 ethernet for storage and 1 USB for plugging into my BDP or STB- whichever works best).

Any help?

Jon

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
One drive will work, but it also depends on the rest of your components. I have a network drive (ethernet) and use a Seagate Hometheater+ to decode and send to the TV/receiver. If you are intending to go without the middleman, then you need a (more expensive) receiver or TV that can talk directly to the NAS. Usually this is accomplished by setting the NAS up as a server, and the receiver or TV uses the DLNA protocol.

beetle_slayer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Thanks a ton. My receiver doesn't have dlna nor my tv. I guess I would need a device such as the Seagate (or similar). I know now what I need to do.

beetle_slayer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I think I will probably lose some sound formats like True HD and DTS Master. But I have a BDP for that. How would you rate your experience with it? (would you do it again?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks