What's new

Greatest Christmas Movies (2006 Edition) (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Not saying they're the greatest, just the ones I try to see each year.

In no particular order:
White Christmas
Bad Santa
Little Women (1949)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooge (1951)
Scrooged
Blackadder's Christmas Carol

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Hey, I remember Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Of course I love Charlie Browns Christmas, and I remember from when I was a kid, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. Haven't seen that in forever. Also A Christmas Story is an annual favorite.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
definitely Scrooged - every year

Also Die Hard - it is the Christmas action movie

I like Bad Santa - but you can watch that anytime of the year

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's on DVD, too. I just picked it up last week and watched it.

Forgot about "Garfield Christmas". I think I might even have it on DVD somewhere in the collection.

Oh, and I would warn everyone to avoid the new Looney Tunes christmas DVD: "Bah, Humduck." It was extremely disappointing.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn

Gremlins is definately my favorite non-traditional Christmas movie! I hadn't watched it for a couple of years and just played it last night; laughed my ass off! I can't believe this film is over 25 years old. I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out, and laughing my ass off then too! :laugh:

Love the bar scene and the movie theater scene as well:

Kate: "What're they doing?"
Billy Peltzer: "They're watching Snow White. And they love it."

You got to love cameo appearences by Robby The Robot, Steven Speilberg, and Chuch Jones. Did I mention Phoebe Cates co-stars? YUM YUM :)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Patty, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol has been one of my favorite's since I was a kid. I had it on vhs and then got the dvd several years ago.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I know it's after Christmas but it's still the holiday season so here are my favorite Xmas themes movies:

LIVE ACTION

*The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant AND David Niven, plus a radiant Loretta Young)
*Miracle on 34th Street (Wears much better for me than the overrated It's A Wonderful Life)
*Holiday Inn (Astaire & Crosby & the original debut of the song White Christmas, plus a couple of amazing dance sequenbces from Fred)
*The Lion In Winter (Equal parts exhilerating and exhausting but man, what a cast!)
*Scrooge (Alistair Sim is the best in this role ever, fully conveying how Scrooge is not a bad man redeemed, but a good man gone sour restored to his former self)

ANIMATED

*A Nightmare before Christmas
*A Charlie Brown Christmas
*Ceature Comforts 12 Days of CHristmas (I know, I know, technically it's a short - but I still LOVE IT)

I regret to sadmit I don't recall seeing Mr. McGoo's Christmas, although I'm sure (at my advanced age) that I must have seen it sometime during my childhood.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
1. Miracle on 34th Street (a film so powerful to the culture that one can still "feel" the movie when visiting the streets of NYC.)

2. It's A Wonderful Life

3. White Christmas (love Rosemary in this)

4. Holiday Inn

5. The Bells of St. Mary's

As far as Television Specials, my love for Rankin/Bass goes without saying!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Claire, give me a call, come over, and we'll watch the Magoo Christmas Special together, cause I have it on disc. I don't think I've seen you since we celebrated the LotR sweep at the Greenbriar together.

I did watch the theatrical version of Fanny and Alexander while wrapping presents. I just didn't have 5 hours to watch the TV version. Definitely Christmas and atomospheric of the season, so I watch it just about every year. But it's definitely a bit strange, too, and not to be shared with youngsters in front of the tree.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I need to see some of the classic stuff.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (watched it this year at the hospital with my daughter who got hit with pneumonia), How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Charlie Brown are watched yearly in my house.

I second the vote for Love Actually. Great cast, great soundtrack, great film period. My wife and I have watched it three years running around Christmas with adult friends and it gets better each time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Christmas Vacation: I've been watching this every year since I originally had it on VHS!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

and now that I have Trapped in Paradise on DVD, this will probably go on my yearly viewing list as well.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

The true identity of David Williams.....It's Mr.Potter.

:D

Hard to give a top five. But, no x-mas is complete without a viewing of "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
At least Hoover and I play/played for the same team... :D

I do have a soft spot and no, it isn't two sizes too small... I just don't enjoy having it tugged at by obviousness & cliché. Frank Capra certainly made better movies, like Arsenic & Old Lace which he, thankfully, didn't also write.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks