What's new

Great post 1995 bands...is there any? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I agree totally, the bands post-95 ("big" bands that is), just haven't proved themselves. There are few exceptions, Incubus, DMB, Radiohead,Green Day, whether you like them or not, they have a bit of history and are not really post-95 technically,but they keep producing music and hitting the charts strongly. Some true post-95, just haven't enough material yet to judge if they "have it" for the long haul. We'll have to see some "sophmore" efforts first e.g Linkin PArk, Puddle of Mudd, System of a Down, just to name a few. Personally, I don't expect much from these guys.
Exactly Zen. They need time, unfortunately lots of it given the way it seems to take most bands 2-3 years to follow up their debut these days.

I'm definately not expecting much from any of the above bands, except maybe Puddle of Mudd. I don't like them, but they're the kind of mainstream rock band I can picture being around 5 years from now.

One band I haven't seen mentioned here actually is Tool. Don't know if they're post-1995, but I sure like em'!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Is Wilco post-95? I think they've built up a fan base and are poised to have some breakout radio hits. Of course, who knows whether it will happen.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that record companies AND radio stations are not committed to building core artists right now. It's all about right now, which is going to hurt them down the line. It doesn't help that playlists are essentially the same just about wherever you listen. Broadcasting deregulation has made it possible for one company to own obscene numbers of stations and spit out the exact same playlist to all within that format.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Here's the thing folks, you are missing the point STILL! If a band isn't well known, the odds of them being able to fill a stadium in 10 years are zero, because they wont have the financial support to continue making albums. So to answer his question, NO. There are no bands formed past 1995 at THIS time that will be playing in 10 years, let alone 30 years. The only band to come out of the current era that I believe has staying power is metallica, and PERHAPS the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Otherwise, no one will be listening to these albums in 30 years telling their kids about the awesome "Wilco" concert they met their mother at.

PS

The White Stripes and the Strokes are the exact same band

(They aren't really).

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Otherwise, no one will be listening to these albums in 30 years telling their kids about the awesome "Wilco" concert they met their mother at.
Wanna bet?

I met my wife at a Wilco concert (and an AWESOME Wilco concert at that).

PLease don't tell me you think that this cookie-cutter mainstream crap has staying power? If anyone thinks that Incubus or Green Day or Third Eye Blind is going to be filling stadiums in 10 years... well, you're nuts. The bands that initially have a loyal, but small fanbase (ie, Wilco) usually build a larger fanbase as their career develops, thus have much more staying power than these crappy alterna-rock copycats will.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
PLease don't tell me you think that this cookie-cutter mainstream crap has staying power? If anyone thinks that Incubus or Green Day or Third Eye Blind is going to be filling stadiums in 10 years... well, you're nuts. The bands that initially have a loyal, but small fanbase (ie, Wilco) usually build a larger fanbase as their career develops, thus have much more staying power than these crappy alterna-rock copycats will.
I agree, but the big question here I think is if their career develops. The industry isn't operating in a manner that is conducive to developing long careers.

What the music industry really does today is operate more like an investor in corporate stock. They invest heavily on the new acts and give them a limited amount of time to succeed. If they succeed, they stay in until they've reached maximum return on investment, then they bail. If they fail or are only moderately successful, they cut their losses and find a new act to invest in.

Record companies sign and invest in fewer acts, but they invest more in the acts they do sign and seek large returns. It's the difference between putting out 10 albums by 10 bands and selling 10 million records vs putting out 2 albums by 2 bands and selling 10 million records.

The former allows for career and long term fan base development, the latter does not. In this atmosphere, it's going to be very difficult for any band to stay signed and maintain a long standing career.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Carl, great post! You accurately explained my whole beef with the record industry. For the sake of their business and for music, they need to seriously re-evaluate how they do things.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
If a band isn't well known, the odds of them being able to fill a stadium in 10 years are zero, because they wont have the financial support to continue making albums.
I realize times are different, but it took time for R.E.M. to evolve into a band that went from small, loyal fan base to mainstream acceptance. I think Wilco could be one that follows a similar model, assuming Jeff Tweedy doesn't totally go off the deep end musically.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I was thinkig about this today... and realyl, even the pre 95 bands that were good, have released crap lately.. like tool. I hated lateralus

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I just can't.. I hate that album, it's seems so repetative and uninspired.. it just can't hold up to undertow. And actually, given the choice I'd listen to a perfect circle before lateralus.
it's kind of funny, I posted that last one without reading page 2 becuase I had been thinking about this thread while listening to music last night.. I had no idea you were talking tool, I must be psyco :)
I'll give you aenima, it was fantastic.. but it was 1996.. I think it was recorded in 1995 so it doesn't really count :D
I saw tool back when they were on ozzfest (1998-ish?)
they made a stop off and played portland OR by themselves. it was a great show, but I don't care to see them touring for the new album and didn't go when they were nearby.
ok now I've added on to this 3 times and it makes no sense whatsoever. I'm done :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
You accurately explained my whole beef with the record industry. For the sake of their business and for music, they need to seriously re-evaluate how they do things.
Thanks Mike! I agree with you 100% of course, but sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to change. A couple of years ago when MTV was doing poorly, I had hopes that maybe the music industry would right itself. But then they got healthy and, well, you know where it's at now.
What really bugs me about the whole subject is that I think people, especially young people are really missing out on something special the way things are now. They don't look backwards into musics past to discover new music or genres, they just look forward to whatever the next big thing is coming down the pike.
I just think about what a joy it was to hear a song from Who Are You on the radio for the first time as a teenager, go to the record store and find a dozen albums worth of their music I'd never heard before! That opened the door to me to a host of other British Invasion bands, which opened the door to an entire decades worth of great music.
The way things are today, how are young people going to find their way back to all the good music that preceded them? Even worse, will they have very much to look back on?
And it's all MTV's fault! Ok, not all, but some of it:)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Zen, Dean..Yep, you're right about Tool. I can't believe it was that long ago.

I agree about Laterlus too. It really lacked the innovation that made Tool's earlier work so good. It's actually pretty hard to distinguish one song from another, but most of all I think Lateralus was too polished.

Kind of reminded me of how I felt when I heard Metallica's black album for the first time.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmmmm, I've heard this criticism of Lateralus before. Sounds so familiar:
LOL you da man ;)
actually the last few days are the first I've come in here!
from your posts in after hours (the only place I've seen you) I wouldn't have pegged you for a music buff..
anywho. I think maynard needs to be mroe depressed/pissed off/whatever maybe then he'll be more inspired

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, the ol' Tool argument. Well, if we're dredging this stuff up, then I'll simply say this to balance out the criticism Lateralus is getting:
Every note, every second of Lateralus is necessary, more so than on Undertow and Aenima. The album's structure allows for looking at each track as a seperate entity, groups of songs as suite works, and the whole album as a sweeping statement.
While Undertow is a solid rock album and Aenima is certainly a crowning achievement, Lateralus is by far their strongest and most powerful work to date. It's actually frightening to me how vastly superior Tool as a band and Lateralus as an album stand above every other popular metal or rock act today.
But, then again, I'm always in the minority opinion on practically everything in rock. I guess I should just stick to jazz and butt out of these discussions. :) (But, of course, I'm way too opinionated to do that)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Lateralus is by far their strongest and most powerful work to date
eh.. chocolate and vanilla I guess :)
I think part of what irritates me are all the little MTV TRL kiddies that jumped on the tool bandwagon about the time korn got big hehe

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I've seen Tool four times. Twice on the Undertow tour and twice on the Lateralus tour. I was one of the fortunate few that got to see one of the 4 shows they did before going to Europe last year. It was hands down the best show I have ever seen. Lateralus had only been out for 2 days (I had it for almost two weeks) before they played the Chicago show so the new album was very fresh. You have to hear Lateralus material live to really appreciate it. Now, it is not my favorite Tool album but IMHO it is their most complex and to see them pull it off live, flawlessly, is even more impressive.
You guys see the Parabol/Parabola video yet? Freaky stuff as usual. :)
-Dean-

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You guys see the Parabol/Parabola video yet? Freaky stuff as usual.
No, I'd love too, though. Of course, never watching MTV ever probably won't help with that. :)
I have seen the video for Schism, though.
Soon they'll need a Salival II.
I would love to see Tool live. Last time they were in town, tickets sold out so fast it made my head spin. I'm not used to a band I like being that popular. I'll have to be more vigilant next time.
I am extremely envious of those on the West Coast that got to see Crimson open for them. They are talking about touring together again. Heaven- my favorite band of all time and one of my favorite current bands sharing a stage. And damnit, come here next time, too!
NP: Chick Corea + Origin, A Week At The Blue Note, disc 4, CD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks