What's new

Great post 1995 bands...is there any? (1 Viewer)

Incubus is a perfect example of this. Their sales are down, there are sound-alike bands galore getting signed with one, Hoobastank, already eclipsing them on the radio and on MTV. Doesn't bode well for Incubus' future.
Carl, your probably right about radio and MTV play, however it doesn't seem to be reflected in actual album sales. "Hoobastank" is number 88 this week on the billboard charts, whereas "Morning View" rose from 71 to 67. Plus "Hoobastank" has only gone gold, while "Morning View" has been certified platinum for a while now.
Of course none of this really matters. As long as Incubus continues to make great music I will continue to buy their records.
WiGgLe :D

Ike

Screenwriter
Larry,

Liz Phair is certainly not post-1999, since her most successful album came out in the 1980's.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Not quite. Exile (I assume the record you're alluding to)- didn't hit until June of 1993. She didn't even finish college until 1990, and recorded Girlysounds demos in 91/92.

Although- I would agree Exile is the most interesting album of the 3 she has released, I think you're incorrect on it being the "most successful" as well.

Exile peaked at 196 on Billboard charts, and sold right around 500,000 in the US [was certified gold]-- but lacked real promotional push because the release was pre-Matador's distribution agreement with Atlantic. It was essentially released completely "indie" and only got the added distribution of Atlantic nearly a year after it came out.

Whipsmart had the extra push of the Atlantic deal, and a video in Mtv rotation- peaked at 27 on billboard and sold over 700,000.

Whitechocolatespaceegg peaked at 35 on billboard, and I don't thik ever hit even 250,000 sales- despite Liz's somewhat odd adoption into the Lillith Fair scene (??). In true irony, when Liz was trying to be all indie and lo-fi, her albums sold like wildfire. When she tried to be commercial and sell-out, no one cared.

Now she's doing collaboration with luke-warm mainstreamers like Sheryl Crow.

Anyway- long story short--- I think you're right to say she's more "early 90's" than late-- but her material doesn't quite extend into the 80's.

-Vince

Ike

Screenwriter
Oops, chalk it to late-at-night not thinking, but I thought Exile came out in 1989. Now that you mention it, I realize it did drop in the early 90's.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Great post-1995 bands:

-Super Furry Animals (might be the best active band in the world)

-The Flaming Lips (their forthcoming Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is my favorite album of the year, so far)

The Lips and The Furries are two of the most innovative bands currently putting out rock music... and they take themselves way less serious than radiohead.

-Mogwai

-Belle and Sebastian

-Sleater Kinney

-Pretty Girls Make Graves (pay attention to this one - they might be huge in a year or two)

-Neko Case and Her Boyfriends

-And you will know us by the trail of dead....

I could go on, but you get the idea. There's some amazing music out there - you just have to look a little harder.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Again- I would say it's tough to call a band "post-1995" just because they only became known post 1995. Heck, Tony pointed to The Flaming Lips as a post-1995 band, and they formed in 1983 and their S/t debut record came out in 1985. I was in a band that played with the Flamin Lips in the early 90's. They even charted with a single in 1993- so calling them late 90's is a stretch.
So, you couldn't call the lips a post 1995 band, heck I think it would be a stretch to call them a post 1985 band!
It's like when Blues Traveller was nominated for the "best New Artist" grammy in 1995, for their forth album, 7 years after the formed.
-Vince

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Re: Liz Phair

Is "great" based on chart position and sales? Then I guess Britney and "N'Sync" are great (despite the fact that I despise them).

Whitechocalatespaceegg is on of my top 10 albums of the 90's. Maybe top 5.

And related to what Vince said about Blues Traveller, The Smithereens had existed as a band for 8 years before there first album came out.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Tony pointed to The Flaming Lips as a post-1995 band, and they formed in 1983 and their S/t debut record came out in 1985.
duh, I should have read his post better. He wanted bands that have formed post-1995, not bands that are active as of 1995? that's kind of limited.

still... the Lips are one of the best bands making music today.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure the original poster's intent- but I took it to mean- came out after 1995. (since he pointed in his contrast example some bands who came out pre-1995 and are still around).
I don't know if "formation" is as important as "when the emerged"- or even better "when they came into their own". I'm a big fan of the band REFUSED, but feel they really only started coming into their own on "songs to fan the flames of discontent". The Lips are a similar band, as there could be a big debate as to when the modern "lips" sound became focused.
-V

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Of course none of this really matters. As long as Incubus continues to make great music I will continue to buy their records.
William,

Yep, you're right. Incubus is beating Hoobastank on the charts and in sales. I'll still keep buying Incubus too, they're one of the few newer bands I actually like.

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
some of you guys are getting way off topic...your once again posting bands that you personally think are good...I wanted bands that we will actually be hearing in on the radio ten years from now saying "remember that tune"...not some band that I havn't even heard of today!...and yes greatness is based on record sales and chart positions...if a record doesn't sell it means that a majority of the people did not like it...not that the band didnt fit into the whole MTV look...there have been tons of non MTV bands that have made it big...but I'm not talking about nsysnc and britney...im talking about bands(i.e. guitar, drummer and singer) not some pretty boy pop act

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
A band I like that is quickly becoming overexposed is Train....I listen to both of their cd's on a fairly regular basis...good, catchy pop tunes. Seen 'em live several times and they're fun.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to get into a pissing contest over Liz with you Vince, though I think you are way off base, but entitled to your opinion.

FYI, I've been a fan since Exile and I've like each album better than the last. In a long list of rock and roll sell outs, she isn't even in the top 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks