What's new

granite countertops (1 Viewer)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I have a question pertaining to longevity of countertops made out of 3/4" granite vs 1 1/2" in terms of fracture, not surface scratches. The standard 3/4" is obviously cheaper and I plan to laminate another 3/4" on all edges to give it a thicker look, without a thinner wallet.

The 1 1/2" thickness all the way thru will be stronger no doubt, but is the cost worth it? Short of stomping on the island, will the extra thickness actually payoff or it is just over-engineering?

Anybody share a story on granite failure? Thx!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Go with the thinner stuff and have the edge beefed up. It is not gonna fail with any kind of normal or even most abnormal use.

However, I would strongly advise you to consider an alternative to granite - like Quartz. Granite can scratch and needs to be sealed. Quartz is a natural stone but chopped up and compressed to make an ultra hard surface that is basically indestructible. You can cut on it, hammer it and put raw chicken on it without the fear of bacteria growing in the pores of the material.

Oh and you sure you want the edge to look thick? It is all about what style will look best in your kitchen, but the 3/4" look is nice imo. I was all into getting our edges laminated until I walked into a store that actually had the 3/4" installed. I knew that is what I wanted when I saw it.

tb512215

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
As for the thickness, there are three kinds, 3/4" , 1 1/4", 1 1/2"
As for the durable, just take it easy, even 3/4" can be used more than 5years. as usual, you can try 1 1/4", the price and thickness is in middle, while 1 1/2", the edge sees good, but price expensive.

cidegypt

Auditioning
Real Name
cid
Do you know about the Egyptian marble ? do you know that the Egyptian marble is the best marble around the world, [COLOR= black] [/COLOR]the Egyptian Marble has a wide variety of types it can look sophisticated or simple, warm or cool, elegant or rustic due to its wide range of colors such as : sunny, silvia ,topica rosa ,sinai pearl

also the Egyptian granite is one of the best granite over the world It resists wear, deterioration and weathering, while maintaining its natural beauty and finish indefinitely,
there are many types of the Egyptian granite such as :
gandona aswan , karnak gray , shabah Sinai , nero aswan and another marvelous types .

cid egypt can export any types of the Egyptian marble and granite to any place over the world with affordable prices , cid Egypt also provide After-sales service
cid egypt have created unique and innovative designs with co-operation of Mr. Hazem Shoukry designs who are the best natural stone designer in Egypt and middle
east.
with cid Egypt you can order delivery and installation easily, do you know that cid Egypt recently made a deal with HSBC to protect your deposit until you receive your order!

This means that your money is secure until you receive the goods you are paying for ultimately making you feel more secure and relaxed when dealing with us.

contact us at :

Office No.: 002 22 62 63 97
0020 10 16 49 770

English landline: 0044 02030027894

Address: 17 El Shahid Ahmed Zaki St.,behind El-Ebour building,4th floor, Apartment 42. Box 11371

E-maiL: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks