What's new

Got my new 70-200 f/2.8 IS II today (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I got rid of my 70-200 f/2.8 and bought the new version II. Ordered it from Amazon Saturday and it arrived this morning. Haven't had a chance to do much with it since it was nearly dark by the time I got home, but so far it's impressive. I'll get a chance to shoot a high school basketball scrimmage tomorrow night. Looking forward to giving it a workout. I was always pleased with the version I, but couldn't resist getting the new version II after seeing all the reviews for this it.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'll try to remember to post some images from the scrimmage. It's a gym I've never been to though, so I'm hoping the lighting is decent. If not, there's plenty of scrimmages and games coming up. Really looking forward to the basketball and track seasons with this lens. But the original 2.8 did serve me well last year. My son is a sophomore so I figured if I was going to upgrade to ver. II, I should do it now when I can get a lot of good use out of it.

When I do post images, keep in mind I'm no pro.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I have this lens and I love it!! It is a bit heavy when I add it to my D700 with the grip but it is just so freaking sharp that I can't help but love it. I just finished shooting indoor volleyball with it and it was spot on. Enjoy it and post some shots. Have fun!!! Don

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It is definately a lot heavier than the 70-200 2.8 non-IS I replaced. I noticed that while shooting a basketball scrimmage last night. Unfortunately the gym we went to was very poorly lit so I didn't get as good as shots as I had hoped (poorly lit AND those annoying cycling lights). I'm still trying to run it through it's paces to make sure it is working properly (within the return window!). I'm one of those paranoids that read all the stories about people receiving defective lenses then sweat when I get an OOF shot or two, or the focus isn't exactly where I "placed" it.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Here's a picture I took inside tonight. It's nothing special, but shows the lens is darn sharp. This was taken at 200mm, f/2.8, 1/160, ISO 100, RAW, @ about 10 feet. The focus was on the center part of the medallion of the wine stopper. The first picture is the whole image, resized. The second picture is a 100% crop of the focus area. No PP done except for a small amount of USM.

The forum seems to resize these, so make sure you click on the image to see the 100% crop properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks