What's new

Good news about Walt Disney Treasures! (3 Viewers)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I can't find the Treasures anywhere, in New York City. Are they out of print, now?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Since the sets likely won't be out for almost nine months, I wouldn't expect an official word anytime too soon...
I can't remember when the announcements came out for the previous two waves, but I seem to recall they were quite a few months in advance.

Perspiration in anticipation! :D

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
After a little investigation it looks like the last batch was announced sometime in July 2002. So, if that holds, we have about 4 months until the official announcement.

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
I only hope they will eventually rerelease these in a non-limited edition form, or at least produce more this time. Collectors are going to hoard these even more than series 2, and I now am forced to pay $70-80+ if I want MMILC.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I only hope they will eventually rerelease these in a non-limited edition form, or at least produce more this time.
Why? part of the attraction is they are limited, there was a lot of discussion available on HTF on these at the time of both waves. including the fact that the runs were limited to the amount they were numbered for. It boggles my mind that despite the fact that every release is individually numbered people are still asking if they are limited, or out of print, or why they are unavailable. There hasn't been any problem yet buying any of these releases when they come out--in fact a lot of people complained about wave one that there were TOO MANY of each title available, that the first wave was never going to be really collectible because they were so widely available. It wasn't even until september or october of last year that there were many reports on HTF that MMILC was becoming increasingly difficult to find (though still aquirable for reasonable prices).

Adam

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
About the availability of the "Treasures" there is one thing to say:

GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN!

That's what I did.

However, if I hadn't already got the Silly Symphonies and MM in Living Color sets I probably wouldn't find $70-80 an unreasonable price to pay. The sets are great and the contents have historical value.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "It wasn't even until september or october of last year that there were many reports on HTF that MMILC was becoming increasingly difficult to find (though still aquirable for reasonable prices)."

---

I think that's what happening to the Complete Goofy from the 2nd wave right now. I'll be ready when wave 3 is available for preorder.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's nice to own a limited collectable, and speculating on price and everything, but I think it's more important that these be made available to the public. In that regard, they should always be in print. 2 years down the road, some kid gets his first DVD player, he loves Mickey mouse cartoons, and he has to pay $100 for the previlage, just so some collectors can drool over the value of their collection. They should rerelease them as normal editions after a few years. And lets face it, this is Disney, wait long enough and they WELL be rereleased, just like everything else they make (and I know all about Song of the South not being available.

This is what happened with comics, beanie babies and baseball cards, collectors start speculating, view their collections like lottery tickets that are going to pay off, then the bottom drops and they whine about how they got burned. I don't think the bottom will drop on DVDs, movies are a much more popular form of entertainment, but the bottom line is, some kid who loves these films is SOL because a bunch of collectors stocked up on a bunch of the titles just because out of hopes of flipping them for a profit.

I bought these tresures because of content. The fact that they come in a fancy tin is a nice bonus, but is not the reason I bought them, and could never imagine selling them, irregardless of price, seeing as they are so hard to find. I sell them in a second if I could by a normal packed version, seeing as my tresures are out of the tins more often than they are in.

Sorry for the rant.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Russell G,

Excellent rant. I totally agree with your rant. I want to own the Disney Treasures but I refuse to pay the current prices that sellers are charging for them.

Basically, when a DVD is released in limited qualities, greedy people buy up a lot of copies so that they can sell them for a good amount of money. This happens all the time. For example, when the Playstation 2 first came out, many people brought several Playstation 2's because there was a shortage then these people sold the PS2's on EBAY & in the newspapers for a lot of money (I saw people selling PS2's) for almost $1000 at that time.

Disney should make the Disney Treasures avaliable to the public. For the current prices that the Disney Treasures are going for, I could buy a several used DVD's from Amazon.com or EBAY for the same price.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
It seems to me that the Complete Goofy is already hard to get from stores but there are lots of copies offered on ebay. Most of them seem to be going for about $25 right now. I think it's strange that so many bother to buy these sets and then offer them on ebay for a "profit" like that.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I'd have to agree here. I think they should release each Treasures set, sans tin and lithograph, for roughly the same price, perhaps 6 months after the initial release. This way, the "insane collector" can get his tin set of Living Color for $100+ Canadian, and the "Disney fan" such as myself can still get it for a rational price. I cannot see how any member of the Disney family could be even remotely pleased at how this has turned out.. Collectors hoarding copies of "Treasures" released to the public, much as Russell said. This is what has destroyed the comics and cards market for kids.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I need to comment on this.

While, I don't like the idea of hording copies and selling them for profit, I don't really see a problem with it. This is America and it's a seller's market. If you don't want to pay then don't. It's the same thing with concert & sporting event tickets.

Here is the critical difference. These DVDs did not disappear overnight (like tickets). It took close to 6 months before any of these DVDs became hard to find. If you haven't got your copy by then - it's your fault and not the Ebayer that's trying to make a profit. These tins were clearly labeled (Limited Edition with a number), so there is not excuse for putting off the purchase, other than money and then once again that it is your fault and not the Ebayer's.

Rant off!!

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
I can't see why everyone is having trouble finding the disney treasures, the place where i buy my dvds still have a lot of them on the shelves.

And also online stores like www.cnl.com still have some in stock and ready to ship!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I cannot see how any member of the Disney family could be even remotely pleased at how this has turned out..
I suspect the opposite.

They are releasing politically incorrect (at least in their own mind) videos. Some of which might not be totally appropriate for the youngster (in their own mind). Now it's a collector's DVD that a lot of kids will never see because it's tough to get. I bet they wanted it to turn out this way, if they didn't, they wouldn't have done it this way.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
In the quantities issued, none of these tins is even remotely rare, and is in reality very common. Just because you can't find it in a store doesn't change that, unless all the bought copies were destroyed. [See my previous post in this thread.]

I frequent local DVD stores, and whenever some of these tins are put out, they are all gone the next day (except the Behind the Scenes one). All of them, unless they have even a teeny tiny dent. I don't expect they're being bought by viewers, not when dozens disappear overnight. The way I see it, the longer the series continues, the more people who will possibly want the earlier releases. Buy them when they're new so you don't get caught. But there's obviously lots of them out there still, so look around. Every week more appear on the shelves around here.

Re Goofy, IMO it's easily the best one yet...

Re CNL, IMO they charge "eBay prices", no bargains there...I've never seen these tins cost more than Cdn$26 in the stores here, mostly less, and I'm talking like even yesterday. FWIW, I'd wait for the next series to come out, and hightail it to your local Wal-Mart on the release day, you will probably be able to pick up at least the "current" series if you missed some, like you could with the original series when the current series was released.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the rare nature of the Treasures - I don't know about in store, but online, it is almost impossible to find them. Living in NZ, I have no choice to go instore and need to go online, and it is so frustrating to find them. I have the Mickey Mouse in B&W on special order from Tower Records, (they seem to be the only people even suggesting they could get a copy of that one), and the Goofy set seems to be unavaiable anywhere (but I already have that). Amazon only have Behind the Scenes and Disneyland USA available. I cannot find Davy Crockett anywhere.

The second wave semes to have sold MUCH faster than the first wave. I'm thinking this is definitely a must pre-order series in the future.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, I was just meaning in Wal-Mart land...you can be sure they will always get some of whatever they want, especially Disney... I guess outside of NA is tougher.

Anything non-disposable issued in quantities of 150k and 125k and less than 2 years old is not rare by any definition of the word...except in eBay parlance. Maybe hard to find at a reasonable price, but that's a different matter.

Let us pretend that ALL the people who bought the first set were collectors. So they want the second set too. That would mean 25k of them will be disappointed. The second set is "rarer":) than the first set, so I can see people snapping a bunch up. It seems apparent to me the second set was issued in a smaller quantity because the first set didn't sell that well, at the time. Let's face it, Disney never spurns $$$, they create an immediate demand and sell all they can, then back to the vaults for a while, then out it comes again. This is what they do, and in fact it was Walt Disney's philosophy and contribution to marketing technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks