What's new

Good news about Walt Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The reason (or theory - I can't remember where I saw it, so I can't vouch for its authoritativeness) for the absence of a "play all" feature on the cartoon sets is that it was deliberately done to discourage parents from using the discs in "babysitter mode." That is, starting the things and leaving the room with the tots glued to the set as it played through. Since some of the cartoons have what is today deemed "problematic" content in terms of violence and ethnic humor, the select-one-at-a-time process forces the viewer to watch (unless it's specifically skipped) the historical context disclaimers by Leonard Maltin which preface some titles. Agree with it or not, that's apparently how they decided to deal with the potential "problem."

From my personal point of view, if this was a factor that encouraged the inclusion of complete, unedited versions of the cartoons, or even their inclusion at all, it's a small price to pay. Also, although I love cartoons, I find that watching them in long, uninterrupted batches tends to lessen their impact. Except for Saturday matinee marathons for the kiddies, they weren't intended to be viewed like that. Note the difference in timing and content between an 8-minute cartoon short and a full-length feature, for example.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think I read somewhere that Prince and the Pauper and Mickey's Christmas Carol (which is 20 this year) will both be included in the WDT release. Here's hoping for Runaway Brain, as well....funny bit of info on Prince and the Pauper: there was a 10-minute intermission bit of animation tying Pauper and its following feature film Rescuers Down Under together....wish that was released, as well.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't think that link actually confirms the 2003 Treasures, it's just reporting rumours. Notice no Sleeping Beauty release is on the list, though 'Pirates of the Pirates of the Carribbean' is (based on the average 4-6 month window on DVD releases I assume).

And whats with Aladdin being down for "Mid" 2004 - does this mean 2 Platinum releases in 2004? I'd take that news with a pinch of salt.

However it's pretty clear what this years sets will be from all the hints given by Maltin in interviews and other such matters.

I hoping as the Mickey cartoons are more recent - especially MCC, PatP and RB that there will be a greater range of supplements on the second Colour Mickey volumne (Commentaries, fuller design galleries, animation tests etc)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I hope that if any of the newer shorts are widescreen then they'd be anamorphic. Which they probably will be, as Disney did with the Roger Rabbit shorts.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How about fully uncensored/restored versions of Melody Time, Make Mine Music, The Three Amigos & Saludos Amigos (put those two south of the border titles together like the laserdisc boxed set with tons of extras) besides the fully restored Song of the South?

Roy Disney supposedly was quite unhappy with the editing that took place with the original DVDs and wanted the scenes reinstated.

This would be a golden opportunity.

Dan

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "I'd expect we well see a bunch of Pluto in the MMILC set 2, so as to fill it out."

---

Well, who knows? But the MM set is rumored to include the 1939-1953 MM shorts and the featurettes Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) and The Prince and the Pauper (1990) and the short Runaway Brain (1995). With some extras that will be pretty much enough for one set. I hardly see why Pluto shorts would be included here since there are about as many of them as there are Goofy shorts - which were released as a Complete Goofy set. So I'd expect a Complete Pluto eventually.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question for you Disney cinema buffs:

Were any of the classic theatrical shorts from the 1950's-on shot in anamorphic CinemaScope (2.35:1 or 2.55:1) or Panavision or Techniscope 70 (or other spherical widescreen ratio), and if so will they be presented in OAR in these tins?

I know Runaway Brain and the more current shorts were probably in 1.66:1 or 1.85:1, but I'm talking more like the Mickey's, Pluto's, Donald's, Goofy's, etc. shorts.

I understand that a lot of Warner Brothers and MGM theatrical shorts from the 50's thru 60's were in widescreen and then cropped/panned & scanned for TV and video release, which is a crying shame.

Dan

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
There was discussion of lack of a "play all" function on the last wave of Treasures, and I, for one, didn't care either way. It's fine by me to have to spend an extra second to click on to watch the next short, but I also realize these sets aren't really geared towards children. So it saddens me to read this: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=274218 Note the extensive unsupervised watching of these cartoons by children. I don't let anyone touch my Treasures, so it's very shocking to read.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
"Toot, Whistle Plunk and Boom" was shot in Cinemascope and is presented in OAR (and stereo) as a supplement on one of the "Fantasia" discs - "Fantasia 2000," I think. The Donald Duck short "Grand Canyonscope" was also shot in - you guessed it - Cinemascope. Don't think that's ever been on video in OAR, though. Oh yeah, another Donald short, "Working for Peanuts" was in 'scope, and re-released theatrically to accompany "The Black Cauldron."

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh yeah, another Donald short, "Working for Peanuts" was in 'scope
Leonard Maltin's "Of Mice & Magic" lists the following shorts as being made in Cinemascope:

"Toot, Whistle, Plunk & Boom" (1953)- already available in widescren as an extra on Fantasia
"Grand Canyonscope" Donald Duck (1954)
"Bearly Asleep" Donald Duck (1955)
"Beezy Bear" Donald Duck (1955)
"Chips Ahoy" Donald Duck (1956)
"Hooked Bear" Humprey Bear (1956)
"How to Have an Accident at Home" Donald Duck (1956)
"In the Bag" Humprey Bear (1956)

"Working for Peanuts" was not in Cinemascope but it was originally shown in 3-D

Patrick Picking

Auditioning
Here is what Leonard Maltin told me would be the next releases in the Treasures set:

"We're doing a Tomorrowland disc with all those great early Disney in Space shows of the 1950s, a Donald Duck set, another MM, of course, and at last, the Wartime cartoons."

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Even though some shorts have appeared on other DVDs previously, they will still be included on a Treasures set, correct?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I understand that a lot of Warner Brothers and MGM theatrical shorts from the 50's thru 60's were in widescreen and then cropped/panned & scanned for TV and video release, which is a crying shame.
The post-1954 Warner Bros. cartoons were composed for 1.66:1 matting. However, the 1954-1956 shorts may be off and on composed. Since the cartoons were backlogged so much at the time, a 1954 release may have been started in 1953, and so on. The 1990s cartoons were composed for 1.85:1 likely.

The people working on the DVD edition know this, and will likely make sure framing is correct. It would be neat to finally see What's Opera Doc? in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I personally can't wait for the official announcemnet. Shouldn't it be soon now? I really wanna know what will be on the Wartime set.

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
We're doing a Tomorrowland disc with all those great early Disney in Space shows of the 1950s
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Aaron Thomas
Also, plenty of :drool: if that happens sooner than later...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks