What's new

Godfather Copolla Restoration versus the Blu-ray Set (1 Viewer)

LovetheMovies

Auditioning
Real Name
gabe
Hey Everybody,
I have the Copolla restoration set and i want to know is the blu-ray set the same is it actually blu ray the the set i have the cover art and the disc seem to be identical i know its pretty cheap right now but i just want to know if i am getting blu ray discs not just discs i currently own since the copolla restoration compared to the original dvd set is still largely better
is the blu version even better than the copolla restoration set i really want to know if it's worth to get again
any input will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Gabe!
All the Godfather releases on blu-ray are the Coppola restoration. If you have one set, you don't need another, unless you are upgrading DVD to blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I suggest you get somehow the old DVD set. At least in that one, whites aren't all burned, and the colors of parts 1 & 2 not tweaked for them to look like part 3 does.

LovetheMovies

Auditioning
Real Name
gabe
thanks
well i am not sure what i have but i know mine is dvd version box art is the same as the blu ray version and would like to know how much better is the blu ray set paramount really confused when i bought this set and when blu ray starting getting popular i am really not sure i have dvd versions of the movies just mine says copolla restoration i am looking into upgrading but i am just confused now

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Here's the HTF review of the blu-ray for your perusal...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/276674/htf-blu-ray-review-the-godfather-the-coppola-restoration-highly-recommended

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I know the original DVDs looks like trash, but the whites aren't burned, and the colors aren't off (like in that scene where Pacino kills the buy in the restaurant, where the blu color is gone except for the last shot in the front of the restaurant where the original blu color is still there). I'm sorry to say, but if they dialed down the contrast, and kept the colors, this would have been amazing. As of now, it's not the original films (for the first two).

I know the DVDs are crappy looking thought and that generaly the Blu looks better, I just don't think they are there where the original films were.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only reason to get the old set is to have the original burnt-in subs for Godfather and Godfather Part II. Otherwise the prints are terrible, the transfers are worse, the sound mixes poor (they're the remixes done for the laserdiscs before the stereo music tapes turned up), and its a generally unpleasant watch all-around.

EDIT: Oh and Godfather Part II inexplicably keeps the old Gulf+Western logo era Paramount logo at the end of the old DVD.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
HDvision said:
I know the original DVDs looks like trash, but the whites aren't burned, and the colors aren't off (like in that scene where Pacino kills the buy in the restaurant, where the blu color is gone except for the last shot in the front of the restaurant where the original blu color is still there). I'm sorry to say, but if they dialed down the contrast, and kept the colors, this would have been amazing. As of now, it's not the original films (for the first two). 
I know the DVDs are crappy looking thought and that generaly the Blu looks better, I just don't think they are there where the original films were.
The "Coppola Restoration" versions of THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II were color timed to match approved archival I.B. Technicolor prints. They were not "tweaked to look like Part 3". When I saw a projected version of the restored THE GODFATHER with Gordon Willis in attendance a couple years ago, Willis said during the post-screening discussion that the look of the final result was "dead on". The Blu-rays look exactly how the films are supposed to look. The so-called "burned whites" are discussed in the restoration documentary.
Vincent

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Well that's my feeling. Yeah, I know, I also know there might be a world of difference between a color timed master that is pristine looking, and the actual encoded master.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Blu-rays were vetted and approved through every step, and match the data files.

Everything here is correct and approved.

RAH

LovetheMovies

Auditioning
Real Name
gabe
well whatever works just want to be sure and don't wanna waste time purchasing something that may not meet my expectations

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by LovetheMovies /t/325746/godfather-copolla-restoration-versus-the-blu-ray-set#post_4009374
well whatever works just want to be sure and don't wanna waste time purchasing something that may not meet my expectations

Totally dependent upon expectations and past history of the film.

What some may consider incorrect or revisionist, is in this case, perfect.

RAH

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Blu-rays are amazing and faithfully represent the way the movies are supposed to look. Any statements (or opinions for that matter) that differ from this absolute truth are completely and categorically false. :cool:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have rarely seen blu-rays of classic films look better than the Godfather blu-rays.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
This set, for me, is this best Blu-ray Disc I own.
I know there are a couple of unfathomably long threads on LoA, but to me this is at least as good a restoration, and a better film (parts 1 & 2, that is).
Steve W

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It's perfect except for the missing 10 second musical chord between the end credits of G part II and the restoration credits. Which is only a problem for those watch to the very end, and who love the film and the music as originally presented in 1974.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks