What's new

Galactica 1980 on DVD, maybe soon? (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I don't know if i can bring myself to buy this or not. Tuff decision as the return of starbuck episode was good but that was about it. I have said that before and ended up buying something though, so who knows. The completist in me might have final say!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, if all you want is the Starbuck episode, you could buy a used copy of the OOP Goodtimes VHS of the episode. I'd think you could get it fairly cheaply on eBay. True, it's VHS, but more economical than buying the whole set for just one episode...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Well, Adama and Boomer are from the "original" crew, and Captain Troy is Boxey all grown up.
And one of the two daggits seen in the first episode has got to be Muffit? ;)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The original crew was more than Adama and Boomer. The bottom line is that Galactica 80 was a fraud. This show had nothing to do with the original BG and was a cheap attempt to con BG fans.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I’m glad that this is finally arriving under an official release so that BG on DVD will finally be complete. I have no interest in the remake. I also like how the packaging states “The original Battlestar Galactica’s final season”.

This was obviously the sequel series to the original, so to say it had “nothing to do with the original” is ridiculous. The whole premise of the original series was for the Galactica to find earth. That the entire cast isn’t identical is irrelevant, especially due to Galactica 1980’s generational interconnectivity.

Some of the episodes were mildly entertaining. Then there were times when it was so bad that it unintentionally provided some occasional humor. The Return of Starbuck was definitely superior to The Young Lords from the original season in my opinion.

In The Night the Cylons Landed (2), there is a scene with two cylons in a radio station studio with Wolfman Jack. I am wondering if they cleared the music licensing issues for the songs which were played.

With five episodes per disc, unless the discs are double sided then I unfortunately can’t anticipate any extras.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
IMO One of the most humorous Sequences in The Night the Cylons Landed took place at some kind of Party. Someone puts food in a Microwave Oven and when its turned on the Cylon Warrior experiences a Power Surge that almost fries his circuits!:laugh:

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I will be buying this one. As bad as Galactica 1980 was it is still better than the new series.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I always thought that was one of the creative team's better ideas :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I always thought the main inspiration behind Galactica 80 (and the Cylon cameos in The Nude Bomb) was that Universal spent a whole lot of money on Battlestar in 1978-79 and the show failed, and they had all this stuff sitting around and they said "What the hell can we DO with all this?"

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

That was the Battle of Galactica attraction on the Universal Studio Tour that was featured in the Nude Bomb. They used to have a Cylon walk around to take pictures with tourists back then too. Which inspired a sight gag in the A-Team opening credits later on. ;)
The original series had decent ratings, it wasn't a "failure". However it was one of the most expensive shows ever at the time. (And Mork and Mindy was dirt cheap by comparison!) By the time ABC realized there was a fanbase, it was really far too late to bring it back with half the sets torn down, and the cast moving on to other projects.

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
These posts are very amusing. The Adama/Papa Smurf thing and the Santa is bringing me coal line...rolled me out of my chair. Some of the other posts were funny, too...Twisting the truth about the original crew finding Earth. Funny. Everyone is touting this new Battlestar Galactica as a failure and that it is a waste of time, but the ratings are there or it would not have lasted this long. It's actually not half bad. While the original will always be endearing to me, something has to be said about other points of view. In all fairness, Ron Moore's take on the characters and the stories are relevant to the times and the political and adventurous side of the series makes for smart, gritty drama. So Boomer and Starbuck are ladies now, and Apollo is named Lee. Worse things could happen. I mean c'mon...do you really want to see the original cast in those uniforms now? Remember Shatner in Star Trek VI? He looked like Santa in that red starfleet outfit minus the beard. What would the original actors be able to do that the young cast of the new show couldn't do. Even the acting in this one seems more solid and powerful. Casting Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos as leads...Lorne Greene was good, but Olmos has a stronger presence. And the idea of Col. Tigh being an alcoholic gives his character more to answer for than Terry Carter's take could. Carter's role of Tigh was more of a "Yes sir. No sir." approach whereas this new Tigh is more driven. More conflicted. And more hated by many aboard the ship. But he is also respected. Give Galactica 1980 it's due. And if we ever see the version with the old cast, then we can compare it to Ron Moore's version. I saw this on YouTube the other day. THIS IS FUNNY!

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Can the Star Wars Christmas Spectacular be far behind?

I'm still going to get this though...as the owner of a 'deadly missile' firing Viper AND Raider, I have to!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
You know,no matter how bad some of the episodes are, you know they'll end up selling 10,000+ of these Box sets!

Now THAT'S Scary! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's because this is Galactica's moment. If the DVDs had gone on sale in 2002 or 2003, they wouldn't have sold barely at all. But Galactica - because of Ron Moore's show - is a valuable brand again, and the studio wisely sees the potential in releasing all things Galactica now. In another 3 years, it wouldn't be as effective.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Lucas ought to have a sense of humor and make the Holiday special an easter egg on the next super-deluxe, ultimate-and-this-time-we-mean-it edition of the Star Wars trilogy.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Since Hasbro just came out with a Boba Fett figure based on the cartoon that was in the Holiday Special, anything is possible!

And to bring this back on topic, anyone notice the original series Cylon in the ads for the "Razor" BSG miniseries on ScFi's website?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hell yeah. That, and the shots of the '70s Cylon fighters in combat against the Colonials in the "Razor Flashback" previews (the first episode took place onboard Galactica itself).

Can't wait for these bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks