What's new

Funny Girl (Blu-ray) available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I just had an email from amazon saying that this will ship 4/30/2013.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Not sure I can wait 60 days, but I guess I will have too. Same here about wanting to hear that Overture.

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Sony's Blu-ray site hasn't been updated since Fall 2012 ... think they'll put out a press release about this? I'd love to know the bonus material (if any) they are including.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am certain a press release will be forthcoming. Sony has been very good with their announcements.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Several months ago Funny Girl was announced as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival scheduled for April in Los Angeles. It was announced that Funny Girl would be a remastered effort, so I knew a Blu-ray would be forthcoming. I just did not expect it so soon following the TCM event.

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Yep, that's why I'm really confused by this. The press reports I read said the "Restored in 4K from the original camera negative by Sony Pictures Colorworks in celebration of its 45th anniversary" FUNNY GIRL would premiere at the Hollywood TCM Festival on April 25th. A Hollywood Reporter story said that the restored print would then enjoy a limited run in theaters. I'm happy to have FUNNY GIRL as early as April .... I'm just surprised! And on pins and needles for the list of bonus materials. "Hello, gorgeous!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Funny Girl and Hello, Dolly! in the same month. Looks like I'll be doing a Streisand-a-thon for my birthday.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Really excited for this release, just hope Funny Lady BLU won't be far behind. For those who haven't purchased it yet WB released wonderful BLUs for What's Up Doc? And A Star Is Born great transfers. I can only hope for more Babs classics on BLU. I'm a new fan and really respect her for her work ethic and perfectionism etc in her music and films. So many give her bad remarks but I find her a most interesting human being. I don't know much of her music etc but she intrigues me.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
My head went right to "On A Clear Day" over "Funny Lady." I thought that'd round out the soignee Streisand image we had pre- "Stoney End." It's an underrated film, IMO and one of the best comedic roles she ever did. "My name is Melinda!...Melinda Winifred Wayne Tentrees. And I am appalled... and stunned... at this OUTRAGEOUS inquisition...":D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark Mayes
My head went right to "On A Clear Day" over "Funny Lady." I thought that'd round out the soignee Streisand image we had pre- "Stoney End." It's an underrated film, IMO and one of the best comedic roles she ever did.
"My name is Melinda!...Melinda Winifred Wayne Tentrees. And I am appalled... and stunned... at this OUTRAGEOUS inquisition..."
She is simply wonderful in the film even if too much of the Broadway score was either abandoned or taken from other characters and given to her (admittedly she was in the best voice of her life for this movie, even better than she was for Hello, Dolly!).
The real problem with the film is her co-star Yves Montand. Though he was a cabaret artist, he doesn't do his songs justice, and he isn't a very charismatic leading man for her (Robert Goulet would have been the perfect leading man for this role and having just won a Tony Award might have parlayed that into a lasting film career).

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Huge Streisand fan here ... I have heard FUNNY LADY and THE WAY WE WERE will go to Twilight Time, by the way. I have wanted a remaster of ON A CLEAR DAY for years. Although I was grateful for the DVD release (was that in 2003?), I thought the colors looked muddy. I really wish Paramount would give CLEAR DAY a scrubbing. I know it's not in the same class as FUNNY GIRL and DOLLY, but it *is* Minnelli's last musical, and Streisand is a lot of fun in it. Plus there's all the gorgeous costumes and sets. I'm crossing my fingers that the FUNNY GIRL Blu-ray will include at least the complete "Swan" number. I would love hi-def versions of the featurettes "This is Streisand" and "Barbra in Movieland" (both on the original DVD). There is also "The Look of Funny Girl" (not included on the old DVD) narrated by Arlene Francis, which is Barbra posing in all her costumes. I have seen some makeup and costume tests, which would be interesting to include. There are also cut songs -- filmed but cut: "Who Taught Her Everything She Knows" (with Kay Medford, Lee Allen), Omar's "Pink Velvet Jail" ... as well as cut scenes (like the garden scene with Omar and Barbra) ..... And is it too much to wish for a retrospective documentary (that could incorporate a lot of these cut things)? I'm VERY EXCITED for Funny Girl!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, if Twilight Time got BYE BYE BIRDIE and STEEL MAGNOLIAS, it makes sense Columbia/Sony would offer it FUNNY LADY and THE WAY WE WERE.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
It bothers me abut the extras that we are not HEARING ABUT FOR THESE FEATURES. sony does have the garden scene and the coplete Swan Lake Number. Fox was working on at least an hour long documnetray on the making of Hello Dollyfor the sd, but it was not included. I know many people who were interviewed for that Doc. It's been saide that Streisand herself has all of the cut scenes from On a clear Day. Some really internesting numbers there.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am afraid based on the $19.99 list price that this will be a movie only or movie with the shorts that were on the DVD release. A shame if The Way We Were goes to Twilight Time. That movie really needs its original ending. They dd not break up because he had an affair with his college girlfriend. They broke up because her friend from college, Frankie, named her as a communist to the House UnAmerican Activities Committee. Hubbell would get blacklisted in Hollywood unless she testified that she was an innocent dupe. She couldn't because she knew it wasn't true and it was against her principles. She suggested that if they were no longer married then he could get work and that is why they divorced. A much truer ending based on what happened earlier in the film. It was said by the director that preview audiences did not like that ending so it was cut to what we got. Twilight Time should be reserved for films like "The Owl and the Pussycat" and "For Pete's Sake" Perhaps Twilight Time is not interested in them. These films seem to have disappeared as they don't show up on TV much anymore.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Garysb said:
I am afraid based on the $19.99 list price that this will be a movie only or movie with the shorts that were on the DVD release. A shame if The Way We Were goes to Twilight Time. That movie really needs its original ending. They dd not break up because he had an affair with his college girlfriend. They broke up because her friend from college, Frankie, named her as a communist to the House UnAmerican Activities Committee. Hubbell would get blacklisted in Hollywood unless she testified that she was an innocent dupe. She couldn't because she knew it wasn't true and it was against her principles. She suggested that if they were no longer married then he could get work and that is why they divorced. A much truer ending based on what happened earlier in the film. It was said by the director that preview audiences did not like that ending so it was cut to what we got. Twilight Time should be reserved for films like "The Owl and the Pussycat" and "For Pete's Sake" Perhaps Twilight Time is not interested in them. These films seem to have disappeared as they don't show up on TV much anymore.
Many of the Sony titles from Twilight have extras and in the case of Lost Horizon they used the transfer with the restored footage. I am never disappointed when a title is announced coming from Twilight Time. Most of the time that is the only way we would ever be able to obtain it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Twilight Time or Olive films or any 3rd party that releases studio films with the exception of Criterion can only release what the original studio has available. They do not produce new content. Criterion is the only 3rd party that produced or obtained substantial extras. It is a shame that many of the extra produced by Criterion for laser disk for classic films such as Here Comes Mr Jordan , Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, and many others never made it to DVD or blu ray. The late Ron Haver's commentaries and interviews, for example, would be great to have. I don't have a problem paying a premium price for Criterion and usually wait for the 50% off sales at Barnes and Noble. I do have a problem paying the price that Twilight Time charges with no chance of a sale. I am surprised that Columbia doesn't think The Way We Were could sell more than 3000 copies. I guess I will settle for the DVD and HD showings on HDNET or wherever it shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks