What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (2 Viewers)

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Here's my take on Dog's problems. The replacement discs needed to come from CBS/P as accomplished. If there was a problem of a missing disc in the original package, he should have returned the set to his point of purchase for a replacement. I've sent two sets of different titles back to Amazon, through the years, and they couldn't have treated me better. Check with your vendor, Dog, and they will probably work with you, even if it's been some time since you purchased the set. Get rid of that S2V2 set. It's unwatchable.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ah - now I see where I read Doug's initial post and got the wrong idea. His FULL set had the wrong discs - there was nothing wrong with the replacement set.

To use an overused phrase that I dislike, "My bad!"

...And absolutely, return the set to the original vendor to see what they're willing to do for you. Many will do the honorable thing.

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
And the music is a legitimate reason for a return of the half season two set. They should give you your money back there also.

SoonerCaniac

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic over the *years*; it has been an invaluable resource that I've come back to numerous times. I finally jumped in and purchased the Most Wanted Edition (MWE) from an Amazon Marketplace seller I've successfully relied upon in the past. I've also called for my replacement discs following the directions you all have provided within this topic. They did not arrive this month like promised, so I need to follow-up.

Anyway, I hit another snag that I need someone's help with. One of the discs (Season 4, Volume 1, Disc 4) in the set was badly damaged/scratched and would not play properly. The seller agreed to send me a replacement disc, which they did, but they sent me a legitimate, factory fresh replacement from the stand-alone Season 4, Volume 1 set, with the gray (not black) DVD label, NOT the MWE set.

My question is: Are there any music cue/content/editing/etc. differences between the stand-alone Season 4, Volume 1, Disc 4 and the MWE equivalent or are the discs essentially identical? Of course I'd rather have the disc from the MWE set, but if the content is identical between the stand-alone set and the MWE set, I'll survive. Otherwise, I'll have to insist the seller send me the MWE Disc 4 or return the whole set, which I was trying to avoid in the first place since all of the other discs were in pristine condition.

Any assistance/verification you could provide would be extremely helpful!

Thank you for your time,
SC (Josh)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Josh,

Functionally - and with regard to music - the discs are pretty much identical. I believe we were all in agreement that the Season Four discs were pretty much night-of-broadcast with regard to music, so in the case of this particular disc, S4V1D4, there shouldn't be an issue. The grey-faced disc should play the same as the black-faced disc.

That said, if you look at these discs in Windows Explorer, you'll see the file dates for the grey disc as being 8/27/10, while the black discs have file dates of 8/27/12. So I guess they're not 100% identical, but possibly close enough for viewing pleasure.

I understand your concern. I think I'd want uniformity in the discs in my set - and even that's impossible with the replacement discs having the "running Kimble" figure on it. But at least the color (black) matches.

Harry

SoonerCaniac

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
Hi Harry,

Thank you very much for your response; it puts my mind at ease. While it's not ideal, presuming the music and editing are identical (i.e., what really matters), I guess I can live with the gray surface on a single disc. The only issue will be when it comes to reselling the set in advance of the Blu-Ray release. ;) :D Even if that were to occur, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for most folks. It is amazing how much of a hassle securing a complete set has been for so many of us!

I called Deluxe last night and was told my replacement discs would go out tomorrow. We'll see. Onto the most important part...watching The Fugitive!

Thanks again!
Josh

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I should note that if it had been the first disc of Season Four, Voulme 1, there'd be that slight problem with the dialog replacement in "Sharp Edge Of Chivalry." That was corrected on the new black discs, but defective on the grey discs.

Harry

SoonerCaniac

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
Harry-N said:
And, for the record, I guess you noticed that the "Special Features" disc at the end of the set is also grey and not black.

Harry
Good point, I had forgotten about that! It's all good!
Harry-N said:
I should note that if it had been the first disc of Season Four, Voulme 1, there'd be that slight problem with the dialog replacement in "Sharp Edge Of Chivalry." That was corrected on the new black discs, but defective on the grey discs.

Harry
I very much appreciate the detailed info! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Fortunately, my S4/V1/D1 is mint so it *should* play just fine. Just D4 was the problem.

It'll take me several weeks to get to the Season 4 episodes, so I didn't want to wait until I got to them to discover a problem. Time to get started!

Once again Harry, thank you!
Josh :)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I can't remember, was there a problem with the clear cases that the seasons came in? I'm tryiing to remember. Help me out here.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
disctrip said:
I can't remember, was there a problem with the clear cases that the seasons came in? I'm tryiing to remember. Help me out here.
There are stories of those clear cases emanating some kind of chemical that affixes itself to the playing side of the discs. Sure enough, while researching for this last question, I noticed a splotchy haze on my old grey S4V1D4 disc. It was however easily cleaned off.

Harry

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not exactly on topic, but I have been watching Downton Abbey of late, and the actor who plays Bates (Brendan Coyle) had a very familiar quality about him. Then I realized, he reminds me so much of David Janssen. Anyone watch the show and agree?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Sam Favate said:
Not exactly on topic, but I have been watching Downton Abbey of late, and the actor who plays Bates (Brendan Coyle) had a very familiar quality about him. Then I realized, he reminds me so much of David Janssen. Anyone watch the show and agree?
I'd not thought of it until you just mentioned it, but yes, he has a similar way of conveying much with just his expressions, much like David Janssen. Good show - one of today's best.

Harry

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Well, I finally received my 5 replacement discs after several months of waiting and it turns out they sent me two sets.

So if anyone is looking for the 5 replacement discs for their Most Wanted set (and don't want to go through the hassle of ordering them), PM and I'll send you my set.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Rewatching Somebody To Remember tonight, I caught something I had not noticed before.When Sophie finds the magazine with Kimble's picture, the byline for the story says "by Irving Sindler". I thought that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it until I saw the closing credits. He was the Property Master on the show. I guess he was having a little fun on the job.John

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I haven't bought the set yet. Have they started selling corrected sets or will you always have to do the exchange?

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Apparently they started shipping corrected sets to suppliers back in October - at least that what Paramount and fugitivedeluxe were saying at the time. I would think it would be safe to order from Amazon at this time.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
JMas said:
Rewatching Somebody To Remember tonight, I caught something I had not noticed before.When Sophie finds the magazine with Kimble's picture, the byline for the story says "by Irving Sindler". I thought that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it until I saw the closing credits. He was the Property Master on the show. I guess he was having a little fun on the job.John
Thanks for sharing, John. Fun. Gotta love the first two seasons. Rewatched Nemesis last week; always a favorite of mine. When Kimble mails football cards to Phil, Jr. in the epilogue, did you all notice the top card is Johnny Unitas? That means Kimble went out of his way to add that card to the collection before mailing. Even with Kimble's extraordinary generosity, that was above and beyond.

Fritzl Dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
I believe suppliers are selling corrected sets. This is Chuck, by the way. My handle was "Fritzl Dog"(some of you were referring to me as "Doug"). I decided to re-purchase the entire set after my initial one last April proved to have the 5 bad discs. Those were issued promptly to me subsequent to my contacting CBS/Paramount's customer service center. A second problem surfaced when I discovered duplicate discs(part of Season 3, I believe). The authorized window for Amazon returns had already passed, according to their reply . . . so I was SOL. I thought, "What the hell", and got a great Black Friday deal on AMZ . . . $99. The new set has a bright YELLOW sticker printed with the bar code/SKU# placed over the original white UPC. The numbers are identical. I can recall other instances like this. I believe it was DreamWorks that issued a corrected transfer of "Saving Private Ryan" with a yellow imprinted bar code in lieu of the standard white one. Anyway, I'm happy to report that, upon playing some of the 5 titles that were initially bad, everyone appears to be A-OK. Now, a New Year's wish is a Blu-ray edition.
Happy Holidays everyone!
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.