What's new

Friend's Internet Worked Yesterday, Dead Now. Help! (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My buddy has a computer with Win98 1st edition hooked up to a cable modem via a router. It was in need of maintenance, so I installed spyware removing programs, reduced the number of items on startup using a selective startup, scandisc, disk cleanup, windows 98 updates from their site, and defrag.

This morning, the IE returns a cannot display error. It's plugged in correctly. I've tried a million things thru the Internet options menu.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
guys dont even bother with this one....cuz i understand it could be anything. I just spent two hours on the phone with various tech support including someone with broken english. no good

Asher

Auditioning
I had a similar problem with my xp set up. I went into the command line and released then renewed my ip address. Go to google and search ipconfig. In xp you type ipconfig/release then type ipconfig/renew. It's probable different for your operating system but this might help you.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
In Win98, the command is "winipcfg", and it loads an app to release and renew, rather than being commandline.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys, I tried that and no good

pinging the router and even a direct modem-to-computer connection returns 4 replies, but still no internet. I know the computer is getting a signal, but the guy I spoke with tried it all and said the Ethernet card might be dead. There are three lights on the router per port and all should be lit if working correctly...the last light '100' doesn't light up for this one.

This leads me to believe that the computer is not getting any bandwidth due to a faulty card or cable. Does this sound accurate to anyone?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
No, 100 will probably not be lit unless you have a 100 Mbit interface active at BOTH ends of the connections.
10 should be lit for a cable modem and the the 'link' light should be lit when the cable is plugged in.
Network cards rarely break. It is very likely a config problem.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Try unpluggin the modem and routers power cords for a minute plug them back in. It could just be a quirk in the router or it lost its IP address from the DCHP server.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Try unpluggin the modem and routers power cords for a minute plug them back in. It could just be a quirk in the router or it lost its IP address from the DCHP server.
Agreed. Although I would just unplug the modem first for a minute and see if that gets you back online.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
i'm going to call road runner and have them refresh the connection with the faulty computer hooked directly to the modem

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
resetting modem and renewing the IP did not work...next test is a faulty cable and network card

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I've decided to resort to reinstalling Win 98 simply because everytime I make a change to the settings, it says "scanning Windows 98 CD-ROM" but there is no disc in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks