What's new

Fox Studio Classics and Film Noir 2005 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: the question of what sets apart Vertigo from Chinatown.

For myself, I associate Vertigo with Hitchcock due to his unique gifts as a filmmaker moreso than I do with any particular style of film ( Hitchcock as a genre ). While psychological elements may be associated with noir, Vertigo has such a unique tone that it stands apart from the more traditional films of the noir canon.

Chinatown is perhaps the strongest neo-noir ever made ( I am in the noir as movement camp ) but it is also a much closer fit to the traditional noir particularly in terms of its examination of corruption, and its world-weary, cynical protagonist.

Of the two films I personally prefer Chinatown; but I believe that Vertigo, due primarily to Hitchcock is a much more unique film and consequently that makes it stand apart from the excellent, but more genre oriented Chinatown.

- Walter.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I think that many of the boundaries that have been set to classify Film Noir, were created by the Authors of many essays and books, to give structure to their subject. Many times I have heard that Film Noir began with Citizen Kane, and ended with the release ofTouch of Evil. That gives a poetic frame to Film Noir, yet it leaves too many films out of the picture, like Westerns Pursued, Canyon Passage, or color Noirs like Leave her to Heaven, House of Bamboo, (it's in a way like a pan and scan version of a very wide picture). Even during the "classic" period of Film Noir, it changed quite a bit, compare The Maltese Falcon with Kiss Me, Deadly. Personally, I feel Film Noir has continued thru the years, ever changing Chinatown, Blood Simple, The Sopranos, etc., even though they may not look like "classic" Film Noir, the themes, and feel still continue.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it all depends on how one defines Film Noir. I think of it more as a visual style of filmmaking, one in which certain types of storylines seem to predominate. Yes, it would seem that they are mostly B&W films from 1950 plus or minus a few years, but what about a film like Body Heat? If that exact film had been made 30 years earlier and in B&W, I'll bet it would now be considered a noir classic. Of course it does owe a lot to Double Indemnity. It has probably the best musical score any noir film ever had. And it deservedly made an instant star out of Kathleen Turner, at least for a while.

Dave Bula

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
All,

Like George, I've been through some lengthy (but interesting) discussions as to what is noir. So my short summary of position is that noir is how you find it and feel it. I personally don't care whether it is b&w or color, whether the film was directed by a German in Hollywood or an American in Paris or the language of the film and I truly don't care about when it was made. I also respect those whose opinions significantly differ on this from mine.

Walter,

Well said! Excellent points all.

Where I was going was the similarities between Vertigo and Chinatown. Consider the storylines (with a bit of wordsmithing):

A former detective accepts a job involving a mysterious woman from a man that craves power and control. The detective falls for a woman he shouldn't be with setting up a disasterous result where he is involved in the death of two woman he cared deeply for. Both die when the former detective makes the mistake of arranging them to be back at the same location.

So which film is this? ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Barrie,
Once your article is ready on DigitalBits, please, post a link to it in this thread.

Crawdaddy

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I wish Fox would release Nicholas Ray's film Bigger Than Life (1956). And Lifeboat.

Wild River (1960) has been released in the UK, but not by Fox. However the DVD has very good picture quality, perhaps not as good sound. So it would seem that this is an official release, derived from Fox materials. The picture is correctly letterboxed 2.35:1, even though the packaging says it is 4:3!

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

As often as that film is mentioned,(it is probably one of the most requested titles from Fox). I really hope that Fox releases it. I was hoping that the Criterion Collection would release it, as part of the deal they have with Fox, but apparently not. This would make an excellent Studio Classic. I am pleased they are finally releasing What a Way to Go on DVD in January, it was never released on VHS (that I know of at least). So, considering that, there may be hope of seeing Bigger Than Life on DVD.

P.S. Lifeboat should be coming in '05, according to Barrie Maxwell.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
So, when are the next wave of "STUDIO CLASSICS" due ??
January or February ?? Any dates ??

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
No one has mentioned one film I would love from Fox, I don't think it even had a theatrical release and is very unknown, but it starred Rex Smith and was called Headin' for Broadway. Never even released on video cassette. This was the story of small town people heading for Broadway, and was actually quite good I thought. My VHS copy from cable in the early 80's is so bad, I hope some day Fox at least leases it to cable again.

Also from Fox I really wish they would go back to the stems for Hello Dolly,especially with the soundtrack.. and at the same time release a decent soundtrack like was done for Oklahoma and King and I, containing the incidental music. The scoring of Dolly is really wonderful, but the soundtrack cd on Phillips is horrible, even though it says from the original masters, I think it's the album master because it's the same as the old soundtrack lp which is different from the film. I can't understand why they would not do a special edition of this film, after all Streisand, Matthau, Gene Kelly, Michael Crawford, and the sheer high style of it I think deserves better than what was issued. The same really could be said for Doctor Dolittle, not a great transfer.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
How many good Western (like "The Ox-Bow Incident" or "My Darling Clementine") are still hidden somewhere in Fox's Vaults ?

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
As Robert requested, here is the link to my latest Classic Coming Attractions column at The Digital Bits where these Studio Classics and Film Noir releases are mentioned.

Barrie

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I wonder if "HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE" will have out takes
with JOAN CRAWFORD ? Didn't they film some secenes with JOAN. I think she was on the set for a month ???

WISH LIST for O5 STUDIO CLASSICS
"THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT"
"VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"
"WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER"
"MOVE OVER DARLING"
"ISLAND IN THE SUN"
"LIFEBOAT"

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
to Barrie Maxwell -
you mention fox will release Pinky in January and in early February - leave Her to Heven, Letter to Three Wives, and Return to Peyton pLace,
None of these have been announced, not even Pinky due n January. Instead - friaday, we get annuncements offox doing Satan Never Sleeps, Francis of asisi, Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Agony and the Ecstasy. Also announced,but not mentioned here is thunderhead, Son of Flicka.
Are the firswt four titles, mentioned by you still on or off?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Has Fox officially announced these titles or are they just up for preorder on one etailer's site?

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Any chance of getting the Innocents in any of the 2005 batches? I remember reading that Peter Staddon was unfamiliar with the film when it was requested :frowning: (don't remember when that was). Doesn't bode well but I hope he did some research since then. ;)

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
The news on the titles I reported first came to me from my local Fox representative in Toronto and was confirmed to me by her after a further conversation with Fox Home Video in Los Angeles. I've heard of no change in this news so far.

Barrie

david ck

Auditioning
I did not hold out any hope for "Return to Peyton Place." What a surprise! It has always been one of those guilty pleasures. I am thrilled..(Mary Astor deserved an award for that film!..some award..she was supurlative)I thought I was in a small minority wanting RTPP. The Fox dvd of "Peyton Place" was really beautifully done. A flawless presentation..(all the Studio Classics have been beautiful presentations..but it is particularly exciting for some of the Cinemascope presentations.."Journey to the Center of the Earth" "Love is a many..etc") . Still waiting for
1. "TWO FOR THE ROAD" (Have it on Tivo for about a year, just can't erase it..love that film. )
2. "THE BEST OF EVERYTHING"
4 "THE STRIPPER" I know, it's probably not going to happen..but what an under rated film..Joanne Woodward was terrific but I don't think it did well when it was released in the 60's. I don't think the film ever found an audience because of the way it was marketed ..the title etc. But what a great film from a great actress who really surprisingly didn't do alot of films. A very poingant film. Really a surprisingly good movie. I just discovered this Forum again and am hooked..I am an addicted reader of Barrie's column at the Digital Bits site. Here it is 3 am in the morning and I have to work tomorrow...Oh well..

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Fox have announced the first wave of noirs, and it's not what we were expecting:

Details from DVD Times:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three classic film noir titles on 15th March 2005. Priced at $14.98 SRP each are...

Call Northside 777 - In 1932, a cop is killed and Frank Wiecek sentenced to life. Eleven years later, a newspaper ad by Frank's mother leads Chicago reporter P.J. O'Neal to look into the case. When he begins to investigate he meets increased resistance from authorities unwilling to be proved wrong.
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo
English and French Mono
English and Spanish subtitles
Audio commentary by James Ursini and Alain Silver
Trailer
Fox Movietone News Clips: Motion Picture Stars Attend the Premiere of "Call Northside 777"
Film Noir Wave 1 Trailers

House of Bamboo - In Tokyo a ruthless gang holds up U.S. ammunition trains. Ex-serviceman Eddie Spannier arrives from the States apparently at the invitation of one such unfortunate. But, Eddie isn't quite what he seems.
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, French and Spanish Mono
Trailer
Spanish Trailer
Fox Movietone News Clips: Behind the scenes footage, Landing In Japan

Panic in the Streets - One night in the New Orleans slums, vicious hoodlum Blackie and his friends kill an illegal immigrant who won too much in a card game. When Dr. Clint Reed confirms the dead man had pneumonic plague he must find and inoculate the killers and their associates. Can a doctor turn detective? He has 48 hours to try ...
1.37:1 Full Frame
English Mono and Stereo
Trailer

Rejoice, rejoice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks