What's new

Fox Studio Classics and Film Noir 2005 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wow, another great lineup of titles to go along with Criterion's February releases and the Warner Bros. classic releases. Terrific news. I can't believe that House of Bamboo is being released.

Early 2005 is shaping up as a great time for classic film collectors.

- Walter.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Great news indeed Walter..!!! I would have bet that House of Bamboo would have been a Criterion release in light of this years Pickup on South Street - Fuller success. Great news either way.

I have to admit, I'm puzzled with respect to the titles they initially announced...

Thanks for sharing John.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Excellent, excellent, excellent! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Between these, and Criterion's February 2005 releases of NIGHT & THE CITY and THIEVES' HIGHWAY, we'll finally be up to our collective armpits in top-drawer Fox noir! And say, isn't Anchor Bay releasing KISS OF DEATH (1947) soon as well?

All will be mine!

Kudos, Fox (and Criterion, Anchor Bay)!

Here's hoping that these all sell very well, and that subsequently, Wave 2 might contain ROAD HOUSE (1948), CRY OF THE CITY (1948) and FOURTEEN HOURS (1951).

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
2005 is bound to keep me delightfully broke! Great news about House of Bamboo!! My Samuel Fuller Collection will be picking up speed.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Peter... do you have any other information relating to the KoD release...? I can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks.

Herb.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Some nice titles to be sure, but it's still disappointing that "Laura" is not among the releases. Hopefully Fox will clue us in what the status of both "Laura" and "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" is. I had both of those penciled in as sure purchases.

Quote:
"Congrats to Peter"

I'll second that. Although Fox may not release as many classic titles as some of us would like them to, what they do release is always first rate and well done. Additionally, from all accounts Mr. Staddon is very giving of his time to HTF both via online chats and member field trips. I sincerely wish him continued success and offer congratulations for a job well done.

Steve

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Given this is a film pre 1956, shouldn't it be 2.55:1? IMDB clearly lists that this film was released with 4 track magnetic stereo audio, and if that is the case I would prefer to see this film letterboxed to 2.55:1. Do Fox usually letterbox 2.55:1 CinemaScope films to 2.35:1?

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

I was browsing through my Fox Classics collection (all of them!) yesterday and I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Movie classics with extra features (16x9 when applicable, commentaries, documentaries, alternate cuts,...) for $14.95 !
Not that common except @ 20th FOX !

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Fox does deserve more credit for releasing classic titles with extras for a consistently low price. WB may release more spectacular special editions and box sets, but for single disc releases, I actually prefer Fox for greater value for the dollar.

Fox would get extra credit, however, if they used the original poster art for their covers more often.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Anyone know the status of
PINKY
HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE
RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE/
WHAT A WAY TO GO
AGONY AND ECSTASY
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
Are they still coming Jan /Feb?

Charles H

Screenwriter
The trailer for LAURA is one of the trailers included on the Film Noir dvds. So is STREET WITH NO NAME (HOUSE OF BAMBOO is a remake of STREET transposed to Japan).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Pinky, What a Way To Go and The Agony & The Ecstasy are not part of the Studio Classics range and they're still on their way (at least my pre-orders are still 'live')

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know who owns the rights to 1958's "CRY TERROR" (starring Rod Steiger, Angie Dickinson, James Mason, Inger Stevens, and Jack Klugman)? Great cast, and a great edge-of-seat thriller.

Lionsgate/Fox put out a VHS version in 1989. This B&W suspenser (with lots of outdoor footage) would look grand on DVD.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

The film was an MGM production, so current rights would belong to Warner. A good film that I'd like to own on DVD as well.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

MONDO DIGITAL's "Upcoming Release List" features it (in the "Future Undated" section, you have to scroll down quite a bit), and claims it's the 1947 original. This seems odd; one would think that Fox would hold on to the 1947 version, and perhaps loan out the 1995 remake. None of the other Fox-licensed titles that Anchor Bay is purportedly planning on releasing (i.e. DEATH HUNT, RACE WITH THE DEVIL, WARNING SIGN, MISCHIEF, etc) are close to being of that vintage, so maybe the info is in error.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Thanks to a poster (Hitch Fan) at the DVD Forums, even if Anchor Bay doesn't come through, it looks like the '47 Kiss Of Death is going to be released in '05 in R2. See here.

Also looks as though Siodmak's, Cry Of The City will be released at the same time. They'll also be releasing Night And The City as well, but I suspect the majority of us will seek out the Criterion version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks