What's new

Fox/MGM to release 50 BD Titles by year's end? (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes you are right Robert, and hopefully Fox will come to earth soon, so they will set similair prices comapre to warner or paramoint, sony...etc.....

Marek

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Is this all that Fox is releasing? What happened to BEHIND ENEMY LINES, FANTASTIC FOUR and LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Those titles as well as Ice Age 2, Speed, Kiss of The Dragon, Kingdom Of Heaven: Director's Cut, The Transporter and The Omen (2006) are coming on 11/14.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Hey Ron, my intent wasn't to "take you to task" about the information. I just wanted to get a discussion going here. Because if there is no mis-understanding involved, 50 titles by the end of the year (while tough to see from where we're sitting) is MONSTER news as far as I'm concerned. I didn't see any discussion here, so I started a thread.

I think those of us who've been here as long as myself know you well enough to know that there's obviously no purposeful misdirection on your part. I'm glad you are seeking clarification because, again, this is huge news if you heard them right.

Additionally, let me take this opportunity to publicly denounce the way you were treated in one of the threads over there. That place has a lot of immature, combative people over there. We're glad HTF still remains the best place to "safely" and rationally discuss these exciting new formats. I know it was your excitement of this news you heard that makes you want to tell us ASAP, and you are a true enthusiast of this hobby. It shows in your posts.

Best regards,
Dan

PS: Please post confirmation or clarification once you get it. We're waiting!!! I cannot wait to spend my money if this pans out and many awesome (and greatly mastered) titles hit BD. I don't care how much they cost (sorry Crawdaddy :) ).

DanR

Supporting Actor
So Ron, when you say Blu-Ray studios, I take that to mean Sony (and their subsidiaries), Fox, Disney, and Lions Gate. In other words, the exclusive studios, because Warner and Paramount obviously are going to release the same titles in both formats.

Above you mentioned you've also heard some Disney titles that haven't been announced yet. But what I wanted to ask you is whether you've heard (or think) Disney has any intention of releasing on HD DVD anytime soon. Some people are holding onto this hope, but it sounds like Sony, Fox, and Disney are about to unleash a major launch of quality titles to boost/bolster Blu-Ray. In Disney's case, this doesn't seem like tha actions of a studio who is about to go neutral.

Any thoughts/rumors/knowledge you can share?

Regards,
Dan

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dan,

Appreciate the reply.

I'm still waiting to hear from Fox on that number. Nobody
has gotten back to me yet.

I really don't know Disney's long-term plans. There was talk a
few months back in a published article that Disney was considering
HD-DVD. I would purely speculate not in the immediate future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Universal isn't doing anything different than the rest of the studios in pricing titles not considered catalog titles at the $39.98 MSRP and this applies to both formats. Each title that has been released theatrically over the last 12 months or so is priced at that price point. My beef with both, Fox and Disney is the MSRP of their catatog titles like "Speed" and "Enemy of the State. This is not to say that I like the studios pricing of new titles, but I can see the logic in doing so when studios are still trying to recover production costs and increase the profit margin of recent releases while catalog titles have long ago been taken off the books except for any costs associated with home video like restoration and cleanup work on film elements.

Crawdaddy

MarekM

Supporting Actor

thanx for explanation about pricing of titles in tha last 12 months period.

Marek

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The trouble is Fox and Disney have always priced their stuff higher than most other studios. If the other studios had said their MSRP for catalog titles were going to be $39.99 then Disney and Fox would probably have gone to $45 or $50!

At the very least Fox is putting out (I guess it's still on) 24 bit lossless tracks on all of their titles. Warner Brothers and all the other studios in both camps are very hit 'n' miss when it comes to audio.

Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's not entirely correct about Fox pricing their stuff higher. For a long time their dvd catalog pricing was among the lowest. I have over 350 Fox titles in my dvd collection and most of those catalog releases had a 14.98 MSRP.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=00316

'X-Men: The Last Stand' on Blu-ray Disc Soon?
October 02, 2006

====================================
A new listing has shown up on Fox's upcoming Blu-ray slate and it is none other than X3. At this point we don't know if this means an imminent release before the year is out or an appearance sometime in the first half of 2007. We're certainly keeping our fingers crossed for the former. Whether you love or hate Brett Ratner's sped-up interpretation of Brian Singer's X-Men universe, the ear and eye candy are quintessential home theater demo material created to shine in 1080p video and DTS-HD Master Audio.
====================================

X3 with DTS-HD Master audio ? :) that would be dream come true :)

this can be a big gun :)

Marek

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
It'd be a "bigger gun" if it were being released tomorrow day and date with its SD counterpart. I'm actually kind of shocked that it's not coming out until next year. I figured it'd be on BD before Christmas. Guess I'll be buying the SD disc tomorrow and the eventual Blu-Ray release. I guess I've stumbled on to Fox's release strategy here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks