What's new

Foreign/Art/Independent Film DVD Preorder List II (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Spent some time on Play.com and found some things for the list:

2/12/02 all R2

The Dam Busters

Les Diaboliques - Clouzot

Rag Time - Foreman

4/29/02

New York Stories - Allen/Scorsese

6/3/02

Hard Day's Night - Richard Lester

Also if this isn't already known, Rocco and His Brothers is listed as a 2-disc set with a 60m documentary on Visconti.

Ali B

Second Unit
Some very exciting (well, for me anyway) updates on 2 anticipated discs:

Special edition said:

These look to be pretty straight ports from the French discs (but with English subs of course) so they should be good quality ;)

ali

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I couldn't locate the previous thread to see if this was mentioned, but a disc of Robert Altman's Vincent & Theo was issued in Spain about two months ago by Vella Vision. I feel compelled to warn anyone interested in the title that this is easily the worst-looking dvd I own - it's below standard vhs "quality." The print is flat-out terrible, washed out and overly blue in appearance besides being filthy. After the opening credits the film is 4:3.
Even though the other R2 release of this title, by Carlton from the UK, is letterboxed but not anamorphic, it is far superior to the newer Spanish release.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Vacas just released from Vanguard is OAR? From what I can tell they don't mention the AR anywhere and I'm too afraid it might be Pan & Scan to chance getting it.
Ted

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Stray Dog on DVD???

must get all-region player...

must get all-region player...

why can't some region 1 companies get some kurosawa flicks out... I don't care about bare-bone (as long as the transfer is nice and pristine).

p.s. anyone have an update on Dodeskaden from Criterion?

Ali B

Second Unit
more cut n paste stuff about R2 French discs from MK2:
will feature a remastered transfer as well as archival footage of Arletty, Louis Jouvet and Alexandre Trauner, the art director.
Although the situation regarding the English subtitles is not yet clear, we can expect their usual top-notch transfers along with decent extras. You can also check out their website here
I would have thought that we would see a some if not all of these from Artificial Eye in the UK, which will obviously definetely have English subs.
ali

Andrew_K

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that Michael Hanneke "La Pianiste" will have much better transfer than "Code Inconnu". I got Artificial Eye "Code Inconnu", which is licensed MK2 transfer with enforced English subtitles, and the transfer is very disappointing, completely out of focus.

There is also "Music Teacher" ("La Maitre de Musique")

great movie directed in 1988 by Gerard Corbiau ("Farinelli")

coming on DVD on March 6-th in France. The DVD will have English and Dutch subtitles and a lot of extras.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
On dvdgo.com I found a trio of Julio Medem films being released Feb. 27th by Universal/R2 Spain:
Cows
Tierra
The Red Squirrel
Nonanamorphic 1.85:1 DD5.1 Sp, Fr and English, Sp, Fr subs

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Tierra & Vacas are already available in non-anamorphic R1 releases. Is there any reason that we should want the R2 versions?
Ted

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Do people have to list those region 2 releases. It makes me so damn envious!!
This is my quote.
Well, thanks to this thread, I just bought an all region PAL/NTSC player. I couldn't take it any longer!!! That Fanny & Alexander listing put me over the edge (I have a feeling that the region 1 release will be the 3 hour version).
I just ordered the following:
Fanny & Alexander
Secrets & Lies
Life is Sweet
Career Girls
Man Bites Dog
La Dolce Vita
Beautiful Thing
Punk in London
Ninth Configuration
Christiane F
My Beautiful Laundrette
I was wondering is anyone here has purchased the Beau Travail R2UK DVD and if it is OAR and worth buying.
Anyway, thanks for increasing my DVD budget!:)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the club, Jay. :)
The Beau Travail DVD has an excellent anamorphic transfer. It's put out by Artificial Eye, a very reliable company that consistently does fine transfers of their own and licenses fine transfers from France.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Beau Travail DVD has an excellent anamorphic transfer. It's put out by Artificial Eye, a very reliable company that consistently does fine transfers of their own and licenses fine transfers from France.
Thanks a lot Donald! I'm adding it to my "must buy" list.

Ali B

Second Unit
More Artificial Eye goodness:

Eureka (22nd April)

La Ville Est Tranquille (aka The Town Is Quiet) (22nd April)

Both are presumably OAR and OSL.

ali

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Bad news from Play.com:
"Please note: Due to unforseen circumstances, this title has been withdrawn from release. The single disc version of this film will still be available from 15 April 2002".
smiley_angry_fire.gif

Ali B

Second Unit
A few more R2 UK discs:

, which sill feature the following extras:

[*]Interview with director Jean Luc Godard[*]Jean Luc Godard Biography[*]Theatrical trailer Optimum Releasing Trailer showreel[*]Theatrical trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks