What's new

Foreign/Art/Independent Film DVD Preorder List II (1 Viewer)

According to Buena Vista's website (video.go.com), Wong Kar-Wai's 'Chungking Express' will be released to DVD on 05/28/2002. The current information is a bit vague (color, and closed captions!), but it is definitely there.
Chungking Express-DVD
Bittersweet news actually, considering the shoddy treatment Disney & company tend to give to their foreign catalog titles. I am glad that this is finally getting an official release though (and owners of the miserable OOP Ocean Shores Hong Kong disc can finally dispose of it).

Stephen R

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if the R2 of Eureka is going to have English subtitles?
Dammit, I sure hope so. Never got the opportunity to see it during its theatrical release. :frowning:

Michael S Estes

Auditioning
According to CDJapan the answer is yes:

Running Time: 217 mins.

DVD Video

Color

Layers: Single/2 sides

Aspect Ratio(s): 16:9LB Cinemascope

Regional Encoding: 2

Subtitles: English French

NTSC Format

Audio Track :

Japanese /DTS /5.1ch

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Updated the list today.

Kiarostami's Close-up is not being sold exclusively through Facets as had been previously thought; many other sellers have it up for preorder at a better price than Facets is asking for it.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Donald,

I was hoping this to be true, but I don't see it for sale on any Canadian e-tailor websites... which ones are selling it aside from Facets ? ( I don't see it on Amazon ? )

Thanks,

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Correction:
Lagaan is [16x9] (2.35:1) and DD5.1 and has subtitles for 7 languages. Transfer is one of the best of an Indian movie, and about average for Columbia. 1 deleted scene, and the usual minor text extras found in Tristar foreign films. DVD transfer reviews at http://zulm.net .
Additions:
New Releases
Heart of Glass (Herzog, Ger) [16x9]
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (Herzog, Ger) [16x9]
Lessons of Darkness/Fata Morgana (Herzog, Ger) [16x9]
3/12
Asoka (Sivan, India) [R1 - USA] [16 x 9]
Question:
2/19
Confessions of Robert Crumb (UK) Home Vision
Is this the same as the USA film "Crumb" ?

Ali B

Second Unit
Thanks for the update on Close-UP. I've just ordered that and Breaking the Waves from Digital Eyes ;)
ali

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Added a few more titles today and tidied up the "in the works" section. Included in that section are three more Fassbinder films from Fantoma.

Ali B

Second Unit
A few Artifical Eye updates here:
Mirror & Stalker are currently off the schedule according to the Link Removed, with neither appearing in a recent AE advert in Sight & Sound.
For those too scared of the Fox Lorber release of The Circle, AE are releasing a (presumably anamorphic) version on 25th March 2002.
ali

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Aberdeen,(Hans Petter Moland),
a film I really wanted to see but missed at out on in the theaters is coming out on 4/23 from First Run Features.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I just recived my copy of Andrei Rublev (Artificial Eye) and:
-it's anamorphic
-the film is spread over 2 RSDL discs
-it's the 186 minute version
-it's region free
-it's not framed at 2.35:1 (closer to 2.2:1)
-it has some little but annoying mistakes (the special features are spread chaotically over the discs, and language and subtitle choices are 'forgotten' when you watch an interview or featurette)
So a good, but certainly not a perfect release.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Ted, I've just checked the DVD cover and the discs themselves, and it doesn't say. Most, if not all, European releases are PAL though, so this probably is too.
How stupid of me !!!
I can confirm that it indeed is a PAL release, as the actual running time of the Dvd is about 4% (=PAL speedup) shorter than the running time mentioned on the back cover and by the IMDB.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Actually, this doesn't proove anything, because the American Russico edition is NTSC and still suffers from the PAL speedup because it came from a PAL master.

You have no way of telling from you equipment? My DVD player's "Display" feature tells me if the disk is PAL or NTSC.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks