What's new

For Classic film enthusiasts, this is the BEST...BLU-RAY...SEASON...EVER! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We were lamenting the decrease in catalog titles on Blu-ray less than a year ago. Now, in just the 4th quarter of 2010, we get:

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935)
METROPOLIS RESTORED

ALIEN BOX SET

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

THE COLOR PURPLE

VAMPIRE CIRCUS

TWINS OF EVIL

HANDS OF THE RIPPER

THE WICKER MAN (uk)

BACK TO THE FUTURE SET

MODERN TIMES

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

FIVE EASY PIECES

KING KONG (1933)

THE EXORCIST

MALTESE FALCON

TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

SOUND OF MUSIC

FANTASIA

PSYCHO

APOCALYPSE NOW

THX-1138

PATHS OF GLORY

SEVEN SAMURAI

SHERLOCK JR. & THREE AGES

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

THE MAGICIAN

CHARADE

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)

SEVEN

PIRANHA

HUMANOIDS OF THE DEEP

THE PLAYER

FORBIDDEN PLANET

CRONOS

VIDEODROME

MAD MAX

KARATE KID

APOCALYPSE NOW

MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (uk)

...and many more!

I guess we can get off our whiny little pedestals and thank the studios for stepping up to the plate. I, for one, am overwhlemed. I am actually half-maxing out a brand new credit card to keep up with these releases!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I see you're a big fan of Night of the Hunter - you listed it twice :). Yes, things are looking mighty bright for catalog titles. And if you include all of the schlocky B-movies that are also making appearances then there will be joy for an even broader segment of the film-loving population.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And let's not forget three other musicals not mentioned above: White Christmas, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I omit Moulin Rouge! only because it's too recent to be considered a classic).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Looking forward to "To Kill a Mockingbird" "Animal house" and "A Beautiful Mind" from Universal next year. Disney has 4 titles coming also:

Bambi

Alice in Wonderland

Dumbo

The Lion King

Hoping Sony, Fox and Paramount start announce more classics soon

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Ah, but how to get them all in one trip...? Here in Canada neither Best Buy or Future Shop carry "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", while having "The Maltese Falcon", and Amazon.ca was out of stock on street date. I hope they carry 'Metropolis', but don't expect them to carry "Seven Samurai" - they're not really very hip on foreign titles, let alone Criterion.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Only VAMPIRE CIRCUS is getting released in 2010, TWINS and HANDS is January, then February (or something like that). WICKER MAN doesn't appear to be happening in the UK anymore this year. Where have you seen info about HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM getting released on blu-ray?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by SD_Brian

all in the 4th quarter, think they could spread this out over the year a little better, is the only complaint i have, great list of releases, by the by, for got to mention classic TV on blu as well

Ruldoph or the Christmas Classic Collection

Peanuts Holiday Collection

Space:1999 Series One

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You are absolutely correct. HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM is being re-issued as one-half of a double feature on DVD only. I will edit that title out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks