What's new

Flash Forward - season 1 (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly enough, this week's episode is written by Robert J. Sawyer, whose book the series was based on.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode last night. A few things I suspected would happen, but some things that seem to be moving the story forward

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I couldn't believe she actually went along with kissing Lloyd, when she knows that's just moving things closer to the Flash Forward, which she has always said she would not allow to happen.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's that simple. The trouble, even in real life, with saying you won't let something happen is that it's always based on your current convictions of who you are, how you see the world, and what you value. But we all grow and change, and situations around us change. You can doggedly hold on to your past prediction in the face of changes, or accept that your proclamation was based on what you knew at the time.

We all have various definitions of what it means to be a dishonest person. I certainly hate to say anything that may not be true without qualifiers like, "If I remember correctly.." or, "Based on what I know/see today..." But I had to realize at an early age I can't hold people to the same standard or I'd go through life disappointed. Instead, it's much easier for me to make a small internal adjustment and realize that at best, people say what they believe to be true at any given point in time, and it may or may not turn out to be so. And if it isn't so, maybe that's OK too.

In this show, we're watching the train wreck in slow motion. The show did a good job of making us want the couple to stay together while showing us that (in the flashforward) they don't. I have the same emotional reaction to the events playing out ("How could she do that when she knows...") but then I think about it and it makes sense. The couple was having problems even before the flashforward. Even knowing the likely fate of his marriage, Mark refuses to let go of his crusade and make a change that might save it. He refused his wife's offer to just pick up and leave together. Then there's that haunting flashforward. She knows how she felt. There wasn't that constant friction like there is with Mark. She was at peace and happy with Lloyd. She's a doctor, and he's a brilliant scientist that she relates to in a way she and Mark can't. And Lloyd really, really wants her. To some degree, she's Mark's old shoe. Should her commitment to her marriage be enough to overcome all that? Those of us who are married certainly hope so. But there is at least some basis for her succumbing.

That said, I've always found it pretty amazing that things could progress so quickly that a flashforward would show Olivia and Lloyd apparently in bed together at Mark's house, and Lloyd lounging around like he owns the place. Eventually, maybe, but if seems awfully quick. No matter how much your daughter is comfortable with Lloyd's son, is this really the direction you go?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

That said, I've always found it pretty amazing that things could progress so quickly that a flashforward would show Olivia and Lloyd apparently in bed together at Mark's house, and Lloyd lounging around like he owns the place. Eventually, maybe, but if seems awfully quick. No matter how much your daughter is comfortable with Lloyd's son, is this really the direction you go?
And now there is only a week or less until April 29. It still seems a big jump.

On the other hand it looks like Bryce might be heading away from meeting Keiko. Nicole was about to tell him about Keiko. I think she will still tell him, but the meeting with Keiko might have a different context for Bryce now.

3 episodes left in the series.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I finally tapped out of this show this very week.

Got about 10 minutes into this past week's episode

and thought to myself, "this is just the same ol' pointless

investigative mumbo jumbo week after week."

Been watching this show since day one and despite

the fact I never really enjoyed it, I stuck with it hoping

for a payoff. It never came.

I don't mean to threadcrap. I sincerely hope all of you

continue enjoying this show, but I don't see it being
renewed for another season -- of if it has, I haven't

heard about it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hope this is given a chance like Heroes, even though that still didn't end particularly well.

Was truly hoping this and V would make it back for second seasons, but after the big hiatus, FlashForward seems to be going nowhere. V on the other hand has been improving and is certainly being written as if a second season is expected.

Started out pretty well, but they've really botched it since returning after the break.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I know what you're saying but I figure if I've stuck with it through about 20 episodes, I might as well stick it out for the last 3 episodes.

This week's episode is probably at least part of or leading to April 29 where we see which flash forwards actually take place. After all of this, I can't imagine anyone dropping it now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad in some ways. I thought the show was starting to get going. It probably would have done better without the extended stretching out of the story lines. I mean if they had cut to the chase like they are doing now sooner. I wonder if someone at ABC had given a dictate to the producers of FF and V to give them the kind of extended mystery that Lost has been able to do while keeping it interesting. And these two shows haven't been able to do that. Plus the leading characters may not have been as engaging to the audience. Mark is always so serious and sullen, there's no joy in his life. Of course his character and world is a bad place.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just for clarification, the cancellation of FF is *not* official, but rather a rumour at EW that has been denied by ABC as of May 14th. This isn't to say the rumour isn't true, and that the show won't be cancelled, but as of the 15th, it is still technically "unknown."

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

It was and is canceled. Unofficially and officially.

Until it's from an ABC press release, it's not official, hence why I said Michael Ausiello's EW report was unofficial. True, but unofficial :)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
ABC won't comment until their upfront presentations, but there can't be any doubt in anyone's mind about FlashForward's fate. The ratings have been pitiful since its return - in some weeks it came in 6th in the timeslot. On the one hand, I am happy that there will be some resolution with these two final episode, but I would have liked to have seen more seasons of the show. I wish it had been able to attract better ratings. Sometime this summer I plan to buy the original book and read that.

This week's episode was April 28 and most things are nicely in place with a lot of uncertainty of how things will work out in the final two episodes. I was surprised that it was Mark pretending to be Gabe in the van. He did that very well. I wonder what blowback will hit Janis by having her information turn into a trap. What instructions did Hellinger leave behind?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - its official, official now.

And Ron, I too, will miss the wonderful emotiveness of Mr. Fiennes. ;)

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
On the positive side, this will free up Joseph Fiennes to do the Metamucil or Activia commercials so well suited to his countenance...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks