What's new

Finally!!! Biloxi Blues on DVD, 1-20-04 and more Universal catalog DVDs. (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Looks like Universal is starting re-release product previously lisenced out to Image, Goodtimes and Anchor Bay.

I wonder if the commentaries from the Anchor Bay discs will be ported over. (e.g. Melvin & Howard)

William Miller

Second Unit

The Abbott & Costello movies are being released in chronological order. Therefore, Buck Privates Come Home should be in Volume 2 when that is released.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I would have loved to get An American Tail, if only to see if it could still make me cry after all these years. I suspect the only thing to make my eyes water on this release will be the rotten composition of each shot.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Maybe I missed this information, but will the ABBOTT & COSTELLO titles be released separately at any time? I already have BUCK PRIVATES, IN THE NAVY, BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
First, a failed chance to correct a wrong wth The Land Before Time...
Now, American Tail has been reduced to a chopped up version...
CURSE YOU UNIVERSAL!!! GET IT THROUGH THE THICK HEADS: NO OAR = NO SALE!!!! BE GONE DEMONS! GO BACK FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL FROM WHENST YOU CAME! FOUL THIS EARTH NO MORE!
What's so bizarre about this is that both Land Before Time and An American Tail are getting 5.1 and DTS tracks... what Soccer Mom listens to those? Another thing that's equally as annoying is the fact that Don Bluth has stated many times he would GLADLY do an audio commentary for his films if asked.

As someone who loves animated films (see sig), I so hate Universal right now.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely be getting Biloxi Blues and Mad Dog and Glory, provided they're in OAR. I wish it didn't have to be such a crap-shoot on catalogue titles as far as AR goes.

Bruce

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Brandon.

I was going by what James had copied and pasted in the original post so I didn't know if there was any specs available for BB. So, it appears as though I get to scratch another long-awaited title off my list.

Bruce

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Great! The OOP Goodtimes disc is incorrectly framed at 1.78:1, but surprisingly is 16x9 enhanced.
I had borrowed it from a friend and was so pissed that I no longer had my laserdiscs. I never bought the GT of either Trespass or Judgement Night.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The Abbott & Costello movies are being released in chronological order. Therefore, Buck Privates Come Home should be in Volume 2 when that is released.
Ah, excellent. I didn't recognize that the releases were chronological. Many thanks. :emoji_thumbsup: This might shape up as one of the great classic values on disc, given Universal's excellent double and triple feature releases to date.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Airport Terminal Pack:emoji_thumbsup:

Lets hope all the Airport movies are in anamorphic widescreen. According to the Universal Home Video website, all four movies are on 2 discs?!...Not sure if I like that idea. It also probably indicates that there won't be any supplements to speak of.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Goodtimes put out a P&S of Airport, and so far as I knew this was their only edition of the film ... until I cam across a review on-line of a new, little-advertised (so far as I could find) re-release. I can't check the box at the moment, but I believe the only terribly special thing about it ... was that it was 'Scope and 16x9 formatted! I ran out to Best Buy, checked the bargain bin (where I was led to believe it could be found), and found copies of both the new re-release and the original P&S release. Checking the box, the re-release was indeed widescreen 16x9, so I bought it right up ... for a bargain of about $7.95, as I recall.

I'll of course repurchase the entire Airport Collection from Universal for 16x9 transfers on the others* (I have GT's 4x3 formatted letterboxed editions of Airport '75 and Airport '77). I'm glad to see Universal offering entire film series' "in a box," as it were, for reasonable prices -- it continues the laudable work they've done in double (and even triple) feature presentations on disc to date. :emoji_thumbsup:

* Yesterday's DVDFile update states that all will be 16x9 formatted ("anamorphic"). I hope this proves accurate.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One of the releases that is not shown is the "The Little Rascals" movie from the 1990's.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Did anyone pick up Biloxi Blues this past Tuesday?

I want to pick it up but want to know from those of you who bought it how the video dept. is and also the sound?

This is a little classic. I just love it.

Later!
Troy

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
It's on order, Troy! I'll be sure to post impressions here when I get it. No B&M stores had it. :frowning:

I just love Christopher Walken's character! :D

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Got Biloxi over the weekend. Looks great to my eyes on my 57" setup. For $10 this flick is a no brainer IMO.

PS the Borders in my area did have it on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks