What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Directors Films Of The American Renaissance '67-'75 Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
George, Lew, you are both right. MASH was the proper pick based on the direction and theme of this tournament.

Shaft advances, still not sure who I'd have voted for. I was really torn.

Night Of The Living Dead advances 3-2 over The Swimmer

Bonnie & Clyde and Cool Hand Luke are tied 5-5. Sorry CHL fans and totally hot CHL car-washing girl, I'm breaking the tie for Bonnie & Clyde

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Midnight Cowboy
vs.
They Shoot Horses Don't They?

A Woman Under The Influence
vs.
The Long Goodbye

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Both these choices are, in the end, pretty easy—even though I really like all four films.

Midnight Cowboy-I’m not sure that The Shoot Horses Don’t They is not the better film, but ‘Cowboy’, is still the only serious film to have challenged the ‘X’ rating.

A Woman Under The Influence—Cassavetes always made edgy films—this one he got right and with two great performances. A true film of the 70s—for better or worse. It is hard to vote against Altman in an American Renaissance tournament, but, I think that there is a clear edge in this match.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Midnight Cowboy - agree with Lew's reasoning.
abstain

Bonnie & Clyde over Cool Hand Luke :frowning:
Night of the Living Dead over The Swimmer :frowning: :frowning:

- Walter.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Are you implying that there are films that Cassavetes "got wrong" Lew? ;) I haven't seen 'em. He's my favorite filmmaker of this period in American film; Woman and Minnie & Moskowitz are amazing films. I'll be extremely disappointed if Woman goes down here, but I know this is a pretty tough field.

Walter, I just don't see Cool Hand Luke as anything special, though I realize that its a popular film and many here are fans. There's Newman's performance, but I don't find the movie that entertaining and it certainly isn't moving or stimulating in other ways. I don't dislike it or think its a bad movie, just doesn't hold much appeal.

As for Night of the Living Dead, I consider it one of the great American horror films, but I didn't include it on my initial list because I was unsure if I wanted horror or other genre films in this tournament. I finally decided that if others nominamted them I'd allow it. I may end up regretting that decision, but I think certain horror films like Night of the Living Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre do fit the theme. Thinking on it now, perhaps I should have added The Last House On The Left rather than Hearts and Minds.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Not exactly Brook, :D but I would suggest that some of his films were too advanced for the general public at the time (and even today).

But even for those who don’t care for the theme of ‘Woman’, have to be impressed with the quality, acting, etc. of this film

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
A Woman Under The Influence

Husbands (which I nominated and no one seconded :angry: ) is another really strong Cassavetes film from this period, and my 2nd favorite after Influence
Well worth the VHS rental until Columbia releases the DVD!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

One that I’ve not seen Bill. And I guess just another to place on my very long list. Thanks for the recommendation.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
That certainly fits me to a T on this one. Unforunately I have to abstain this round. I think I may have seen The Long Goodbye, but I can't be 100% certain.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Brook - While I recognize the influence of Bonnie & Clyde and don't really have a problem with it advancing, Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorite films of the 1960s.

For myself, there is much more to the film than just Newman's charismatic Lucas 'Cool Hand' Jackson. The film offered its own contributions to pop culture such as Strother Martin's famous 'failure to communicate'. As a cubicle worker bee :) I can relate to getting my mind right and What's your dirt doin' in my ditch? Perhaps the film's strongest component is Conrad Hall's cinematography, which IMHO, does a terrific job of conveying a palpable sense of the film's setting, in terms of time and location. Anyway, on with the tournament.

- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Double-abstain

Been too long since I've seen TSHDT? and I haven't see AWUTI. Yeah, I know... :b

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I haven't seen Husbands either. As I've mentioned before, other than occassionally taping things off movie channels I'm pretty much beholden to DVD in my viewing. And even things on DVD that I REALLY want to see can take me awhile to get to because, like you, I try and see a wide variety of movies and keep up with current releases.

Walter, understood.

I was sweating this one a bit, but you all came through. ;)

Midnight Cowboy advances 5-1
A Woman Under The Influence advances 3-1

Two Lane Blacktop
vs.
Point Blank

Easy Rider
vs.
Electra Glide In Blue

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The two films I am voting *against* in this round probably are closer fits to the criteria for this tournament, but I prefer...

Point Blank - Tough choice!
Electra Glide In Blue

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks