What's new

Directors Films Of The American Renaissance '67-'75 Tournament (2 Viewers)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Parallax View & Don't Look Back advance.

I've seen and like both, particulary Don't Look Back, but hadn't seen the competition.

I'll hit you with a double today since I'm about to leave for a business trip and won't be back until Tuesday night.

The Beguiled
vs.
Klute

MASH
vs.
Hearts And Minds

The Boys In The Band
vs.
The Conversation

Play Misty For Me
vs.
Shaft

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Klute
abstain - no Hearts and Minds...but I don't particularly like MASH
The Boys In The Band
Shaft
- not particularly wild about either film

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Klute, MASH, The Conversation advance

I'll leave Shaft vs. Play Misty For Me open. It is tied 3-3 and I can't decide who to vote for. I really like both.

:angry: On Hearts And Minds losing. I think its one of the 2 or 3 best films in this tournament. I don't find MASH anywhere near that level.

Bonnie & Clyde
vs.
Cool Hand Luke

The Swimmer
vs.
Night Of The Living Dead

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Cool Hand Luke

I haven't seen The Swimmer, though I wish I had just so I could have voted against NOTLD. :)

I haven't seen Hearts & Minds, but not only is MASH a great movie, it's the epitome of what you're after in this tournament, so you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with George here. Hearts and Minds, regardless of its merits as a film, is a documentary that really is not particularly innovative and did nothing much to change the state of American filmmaking.

M*A*S*H, regardless of its merits, was one of a handful of Altman films that really did help establish the independent filmmaking of the 70s and, while not groundbreaking, certainly told a story in a way that was very different than established Hollywood methods. That it was a hit, gave Altman enough power and credibility to make films like McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Nashville, both very fresh and innovative (and both I think better than M*A*S*H.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks