What's new

Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
A lot of people will say no since the strict definition of Film Noir is, among other characteristics, a film made in the USA. I, however, would look on Le Corbeau as being noir - after all it was remade as The Thirteenth Letter, and that's certainly noir.

Speaking of The Thirteenth Letter, it's a real pity Fox never got around to releasing that in their noir line. Has anybody heard if that series is now dead in the water or if more releases may be on the cards?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming the Sony set, with The Sniper, The Big Heat, Five Against the House, The Lineup, Murder by Contract, is now available for Pre-Order HERE at Amazon - although there are no listings of the films yet.
Cheers,

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
There's actually three Sony noir sets listed. If you type in sony noir it brings up the one linked to above and two others - vols 1 and 2, without release dates and priced at $53.99 each.

EDIT: That Critic's Choice set is listed as a 4 piece one - could it actually be the Sam Fuller box?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah, now that makes sense. Blimey, TWO noir sets on top of the Fuller set?
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I am very excited with all these specukaton about Sony noir collection. And taking in consideration the Columbia Vaults, there are enough titles for, at least, 6 or 7 box sets. I just hope the first editions sell well and Sony gets encouraged to get deeper in its vaults. I'll get them all.
By the way, where is the very antecipated Capra/Stanwyck box set?

And, in addition to the titles already mentioned above, here are some suggestions for future releases:

Knock on any door - Humphrey Bogart
Johnny O'Clock - Dick Powell, Evelyn Keyes
The Undercover man - Glen Ford, Nina Foch
Johnny Allegro - George Raft, Nina Foch
Man in the Dark - Edmond O'Brien, Audrey Totter
Customs Agents - William Eythe
Shockproof - Cornel Wilde
Assignment: Paris - Dana Andrews
The Shadow on the window - Philip Carey
The Burglar - Dan Durya, Jayne Mansfield
City of Fear - Vince Edwards
Walk East on Beacon! - George Murphy

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Let me add my voice for Customs Agents and Walk East on Beacon. The latter played on TCM not too long ago and it is a splendid film.

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
DeepDiscount is listing these Sony/Columbia sets as future releases, including a Rita Hayworth set, but only two film noir sets.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
It seems that MoviesUnlimited does know the titles of Sony's Noir Collection Vol.2
The Film Noir Collection, Vol. 2 by on DVD starring Aldo Ray, Fred MacMurray, Richard Conte, Vince Edwards, Brian Keith, Dianne Foster, John Archer, Phil Carey, Anne Bancroft, Kathryn Grant, Kim Novak, Steven Ritch at Movies Unlimited

First, "Pushover" (1954) stars Fred MacMurray as a detective who gets mixed up with the hot-to-trot girlfriend (Kim Novak) of a suspected bank robber, leading to a world of deception and double-crosses. Phil Carey, Dorothy Malone, E.G. Marshall co-star. A man falsely accused of robbery and murder goes on the run, persuading the woman he loves and an insurance investigator to help find the real culprits and clear his name, in "Nightfall" (1957). Aldo Ray, Brian Keith, Anne Bancroft star. "The Brothers Rico" (1957) finds a former Mafia accountant pulled back into the dangerous world of organized crime when he learns that the Mob and the cops are looking for his brother. With Richard Conte, Dianne Foster. And, an escaped convict comes into possession of a deadly radioactive substance, in "City of Fear" (1959). Can the authorities track him down before it either kills him or destroys all of Los Angeles? With Vince Edwards, Lyle Talbot, John Archer. Also includes "In a Lonely Place."
So, they are listing:

Pushover (1954)
Nightfall (1957)
The Brothers Rico (1957)
City of Fear (1959)
In a Lonely Place (1950)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
That's pretty odd again. First a double dip on The Big Heat which they could have avoided by using Human Desire, and now a reissue of In A Lonely Place when Knock On Any Door is available. :confused:

Having said that, the other titles are more than welcome.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Hopefully The Big Heat and especially In A Lonely Place will get new transfers to make their reissues worthwhile? I mean they are great films, if they go back to them and make the transfers even better than including them would be justifiable. But if they are the same discs, then I would've preferred something new.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Maybe they are saving the other titles for upcoming volumes, that will only happen if those first sell well. So, instead of complaining (and don't get me wrong, I think you have all the right to complain about) let's be supportive and get those editions, so we can guarantee they will release Human Desire and Knock on any door (as well as others noirs) soon.

By the way the Rita Hayworth Collection contains Tonight and Every Night, Salome, Miss Saddie Thompson and (here comes the double dips) Gilda and Cover Girl. Though I agree those last 2 titles are the most representative of Ms. Hayworth work, I think this would be a great opportunity to release her earlier work "The Lady in Question".
Anyway, I will get the set, since it contains 3 great movies still unreleased.
Keep them coming Sony!
Now, I can't wait for the Stanwyck/Capra collection, Peter Lorre, Grace Moore and anything else rearding classic movies that Columbia wants to deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks