What's new

Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Good news indeed. I can't think why The Big Heat is in there though - it's already been released and looks fine. Lang's other Glenn Ford/Gloria Grahame picture Human Desire is still MIA and it would have been nice to see it included.

The only thing I can think of is the William Friedkin's 1975 Lang Interview that appears on Disc 2 of Criterion's M. It covers a good amount of history from Lang's perspective. Lang is a fascinating character - a full-fledged bio would be a great watch.

- And thanks for the info on the new VCI double feature - it's been on my "to buy list" and I was wondering if I should sell off my Image Amazing Mr. X. ... here's hoping for a DVD Beaver comparison! I believe the only other Reign Of Terror available is the Alpha Black Book, which is unwatchable.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
You made my day. Must buy for me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
With Warner starting to slow down it's regular DVD releases, Columbia is really starting to become my favorite studio for catalog titles...can't wait for this set!!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Remember that none of this has been confirmed yet. So I'm kind of hoping someone got their wires crossed and that Human Desire - the other Ford/Grahame picture - might still be the one coming.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I've noticed there's been a R4 release of Lang's Scarlet Street, which looks like it's been licensed from Universal.
I was wondering if any of the members from down under could comment on the PQ - like is it comparable, better or worse than the Kino R1?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
From ClassicFlix:

VCI has announced a June 30th release date for British Cinema - Crime and Noir. It will contain: Blackout (1950), Bond of Fear (1956), Home To Danger (1951), Meet Mr. Callaghan (1954), No Trace (1950) and Recoil (1953).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Looks like all the money I used to spend on Warner Boxed sets will be flowing into Sony/Columbia instead.

My oh my, how things have changed.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I have an awful copy of THE CRIMSON KIMONO so I'd love to get a quality release. That said, the film is a pure detective story versus a film noir.

Arletty

Auditioning
I'm very new here, and I have not had a chance to read all the replies in this thread. Has anyone mentioned the French origins of Film Noir and some of the French greats in this genre. A few days ago I watched Le Corbeau, and I'm wondering if it could be regarded as a sort of Film Noir. I enjoyed the film immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks