What's new

Fall Back! DST: October 29th, 2006 (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For those who participate, remember to turn the clocks back an hour Saturday night (or Sunday morning, however you look at it)!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Back to Standard Time. It will be nice to have it a little lighter in the morning, but it sucks getting so dark, so early.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

Nice! Happy B-Day and tuck a dollar for me.

I hate the time change. I end up driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
damn I have to work sunday AM. I wonder if my cell phone will fall back for me or if I need to do it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the days of manual time adjustements are over on cell phones. All of the newer ones will get the adjusted time from wherever your 'hub' is located.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
How the hell do my kids do it? Background: I work from home, night shift. My kids are 2 and 4. Normally they're up by 6.30-6.45a. Even tho it's technically 5.50a their little bodies are thinking 6.50a yet there is not a single indication over the baby monitor that either of them are stirring.

This happens every time. They always wake up with the clocks.

It's a mixed blessing, tho. I'm afraid to start anything because any second now the 2yr old might wake....

-paul
this better not jinx it!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Don't know, my dogs do the same thing.

They're standing by the door an hour later than usual waiting for the GF to come home, but right on time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I hate this crap! It always amazes me how many clocks I have to adjust. :rolleyes:- Geez, EVERYTHING has a clock in it now-a-day!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I thought it was cool! Today was my very first "fall back" event. I just moved out to the west coast from Saskatchewan...one of the only places in North America that never changes its time.

Like Mark said...I was surprised just how many clocks I had! I have several that auto-adjusted, but I still had to manually change six of them!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Scott, just when you think you've turned back all the clocks, sometime in the neat future, you'll run across one that you missed :D

Here's my list:

Bedroom:
1) TV
2) Alarm Clock
3) Projection night stand clock

Spare Room:
4) Old alarm clock
5) Clock on the wall
6) Novelty drum clock on book shelf
7) TV

Kitchen:
8) Wall Clock
9) DVD player
10) TV
11) Stove
12) Microwave

Living Room:
13) TV
14) Cable Box (Self adjusts)
15) ReplayTV (Self Adjusts)
16) Answering Machine
17) Wall Clock
18) Automatic timer for lamp
19) Caller-ID novelty globe thingy (Self Adjusts)

Garage:
20) Wall Clock (Self Adjusts)
21) Car

Laundry Room:
22) Wall Clock

Misc:
23) Cell Phone (Self Adjusts)
24) Desktop Computer (Self Adjusts)
25) Laptop (Self Adjusts)

So that's 17 out of 25 that I had to manually adjust. I'm sure I'll come across another one or two that I've forgotten about. Actually, I had forgotten about the auto timer until it was 5pm and dark in my living room. I was like DAMN! I thought I got all of them!!!! :)

p.s. I added some links for fun.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My 2 VCRS have self-correcting clocks, and so do my 3 ReplayTVs (via channel guide downloads). Don't need anymore clocks than that.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm glad we don't have to worry about daylight saving time, but still have to factor that into time-difference calculations, especially when figuring out when the football game (soccer to you lot) in England is on.

Patrick, no iPod to adjust? Or wristwatch? Or is the discussion only about household clocks?

Let's see, if I had to adjust clocks for DST, there'd be the wall clock and microwave in the kitchen, HDD recorder in living room, VCR and alarm clock in bedroom, two airconditioning remote controls. I think that's it -- and the clock in the car dashboard.

As an aside, one gadget I saw in the Apple store (a radio clock that you could also plug an iPod in) had a switch at the back that would compensate for DST by simply toggling back and forth, making for easy switching. Do many clocks or gadgets incorporate this (IMHO) clever feature?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
DST blows chunks! I hate it! IT should be banned and set the way of the buggy whip.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't need any more either (besides a clock in every room), but besides wall clocks, some things just come that way. My microwave has one, my DVD player has one, etc. All these new 'gadgets' seem to have some sort of clock inside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks