1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_S, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

Adam_S
    For work study this year I got on at USC's cinema-library. This is a fantastic place to be working, we got over 12,000 VHS, 2500 laserdisc, and 1400 DVD (including all of the DVD criterion collection through March 03, and I do mean ALL). However, one thing I've discovered working there is that the librarians don't know what they have in their laserdisc materials. I had a conversation with one of the head librarians today about the need to preserve much of the laserdisc collection because of the materials available on laser that will never find their way to DVD. He asked me to see if I could compile as comprehensive a listing as is possible of 'rare' materials that are currently exclusive to laserdisc.

So I naturally turn to the one place that probably has more people with vast knowledge about Laserdisc than anywhere else on the planet, HTF. I know there are many old collectors here that have been with lasers since the early eighties, maybe as far back as the seventies. Your information would be vastly appreciated, and there is the future possibility that a laserdisc archive of sorts will be established at the cinema-library.

I know about this laser disc thread in the software archives, but that listing is quite old, plus there are probably many criterion materials that are not listed on there. Certainly there are probably many more laserdiscs than that list shows

I'm looking for 'exclusive' special features (will probably be mainly criterion), extensions of special features (like the Jaws documentary debacle), titles only available on Laserdisc (like Robinson Crusoe on Mars), titles only available in OAR on laserdisc, cuts only available on laserdics, and audio only available on laserdisc.

Thanks very much in advance, any information contribution will be greatly appreciated and shared with many others.

Adam

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

Adam_S
    I'll be using this thread to track the titles acknowledged so far:

Most of the initial listings will be from the software archive linked above Listings updated through post 21 of this thread and post 2 of archived thread:

Confirmed with exclusive to laserdisc material (including OAR only on Laserdisc)
    1. 12 Monkeys - complete commentary (Keith Paynter)
    2. The African Queen Boxset - not on DVD and packed with supplementary material
    3. Alice in Wonderland - Exclusive Archive Collection Boxset - special features
    4. American Graffiti - Original opening shot of film kept intact on THX widescreen laserdisc, no CGI sunset.
      Original theatrical trailer in original widescreen aspect ratio. (Thanks to Bill Williams)
    5. Armageddon - DTS - DTS not available on R1 DVD
    6. Bad Day at Black Rock - Criterion - not on DVD
    7. Bambi 55th Anniversary Edition - not on DVD, special features
    8. Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress Version - Original/different edit from DVD; trailer (Thanks to Bill Williams) CORRECT OAR of 1.66:1 only on LD (Jo_C)
    9. Beauty and the Beast (disney) - CORRECT OAR of 1.66:1 only on LD (Jo_C)
    10. Blade Runner - Criterion CAV - Theatrical cut, special features
    11. Boogie Nights - Criterion - John Holmes Documentary
    12. The Boys From Brazil (Pioneer SE) - LD exclusive Jerry Goldsmith Isolated score
    13. Cat's Don't Dance - OAR only on LD - (Patrick McCart)
    14. Cinderella - Exclusive Archive edition - not on DVD and tons of supplementary material
    15. Citizen Kane - Criterion CAV - exclusive features can anyone elaborate?
    16. Clean and Sober - OAR only on LD (JayE)
    17. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Criterion - only OAR theatrical version (one small alteration) (Thanks to Bill Williams)
    18. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 1998 Special Edition - different edit of the film, supplemental features (thanks to Bill Williams)
    19. Dances with Wolves: extended cut - artwork and a book about the movie
    20. Desk Set - only available on ld (Thanks to George Kaplan)
    21. Dr. No - Criterion - audio commentary and vintage 1960s TV spots advertising Bond Bread and other toys (thanks to Bill Williams)
    22. Dr. Strangelove... Criterion - Duck and Cover short, 'My Teenage Fallout Queen' (Keith Paynter) -- first pressing had early screenplay draft (Damin J Toell)
    23. E.T. Signature Collector's Edition (1996?) - complete documentary includes: interviews with Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore, deleted scenes with Harrison Ford; complete isolated film score (Keith Paynter)
    24. Fearless - OAR only on LD (JayE)
    25. Frighteners SE - A very long (six hours!?) docu
    26. From Russia With Love - Criterion - exclusive audio commentary (thanks to Bill Williams)
    27. The Game - Criterion - Alternate Ending
    28. Gator - OAR only on LD (JayE)
    29. Gettysburg Boxset - extended edition, civil war bullet (Jo_C)
    30. The Godfather Trilogy Boxset - not on DVD; three movies re-edited in chronological order and includes numerous previously-deleted scenes; also has a supplementary LD about the making of the movies, and includes fascinating original screen tests of various actors who did not get the part
    31. Golden Age Of Looney Tunes Vol 1-5 - Many uncensored shorts unlikely to be released in politically correct era, such as Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips (Keith Paynter
    32. Goldfinger - Criterion - exclusive commentary and vintage TV advertising for Bond bread (thanks to Bill Williams)
    33. A Goofy Movie - OAR only on ld (Thanks to George Kaplan)
    34. Great Santini, The - OAR only on LD (Jay E)
    35. Grumpy Old Men - OAR only on ld (thanks to George Kaplan)
    36. Grumpy Old Men - OAR only on ld (thanks to George Kaplan)
    37. Hunchback of Notre Dame Boxset - Deleted Scenes, musical numbers and other supplemental material (thanks to RafaelB)
    38. In the Good Old Summertime - only available on ld (Thanks to George Kaplan)
    39. Independence Day - DTS - DTS not available on r1 DVD, can view the alternate ending without commentary (thanks to Bill Williams)
    40. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - longer cut and proper titles only available on ld (thanks to George Kaplan)
    41. Jaws - Signature Collector's Edition - original mono and complete documentary
    42. Jungle Book 30th Anniversary Edition - special features and artwork
    43. King Kong Criterion CAV - commentaries and other special features?
    44. Lifeboat - only available on ld (Thanks to George Kaplan)
    45. The Long, Long Trailer - only available on ld (thanks to George Kaplan)
    46. Mary Poppins (Image THX CLV edition) - isolated score
    47. My Fair Lady - Documentary and stills (thanks to RafaelB)
    48. The Nightmare Before Christmas Boxset - Henry Selick shorts, full documentary (thanks to RafaelB)
    49. Napolean - extensive stills gallery (Patrick McCart)
    50. Pink Floyd - The Wall (1997 Image/MGM edition) - LD exclusive Alan Parker commentary (Keith Paynter)
    51. Pinnochio Boxset - barebones DVD OOP, extra features and artwork
    52. Pocahatas Boxset - supplemental material
    53. Raging Bull - Criterion CAV - Commentary Anything else?
    54. Ransom - Director's cut only on LD - (David Pagura)
    55. Robinson Crusoe on Mars - Criterion - not on any other HV format
    56. The Silver Streak - OAR only on LD (Jeff_HR)
    57. Sling Blade - Criterion - Billy Bob Thorton Commentary
    58. Song of the South - Japanese LD only HV official release
    59. Star Wars Trilogy: The Definitive Collection - commentaries, special features, original theatrical versions
    60. Star Wars Trilogy: THX remastered individual titles - original theatrical versions
    61. Superman: The Movie - Original theatrical cut with original audio tracks I presume this is OAR as well? (thanks to Bill Williams)
    62. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace - extended edition on Japanese laser with different aspect ratio: 2:1. (thanks to Bill Williams)
    63. Taxi Driver Criterion - LD exclusive Scorsese commentary
    64. Titanic - DTS - No DTS on DVD
    65. T-2 Special Edition - Guns&Roses video; select the script option. Pressing Play on the remote will allow you to access the entire script at warp speed, along with an accelerated image of the fiery playground and T-800 endoskeleton accompanied by Brad Fiedel's music, all from the main title sequence. (thanks to Bill Williams)
    66. The War of the Roses - Script available on laser disc
    1. Titles needing confirmation of unique material on the laserdisc
    2. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Does the recent 2 disc set cover all the laser materials?
    3. The Al Jolson Collection - Jazz Singer not on DVD, can anyone else specify what makes this unique?
    4. Aladdin - not on DVD, and supplemental material?
    5. Amadeus: Special Edition Boxset - Mozart CD and book possibly different supplemental materials, can anyone confirm?
    6. The Day the Earth Stood Still - Autographed Collector's Edition - Does the Studio classics release make this obsolete?
    7. Halloween - Criterion - Exclusive commentary? anyone confirm?
    8. Ghostbusters - Anyone confirm unique deleted scenes?
    9. The James Dean Collection - East of Eden not on DVD, documentary may not be on DVD, confirm anyone?
    10. The Lion King Boxset - upcoming Platinum release may or may not incorporate all material
    11. The Magnificent Ambersons - Criterion CAV - not on DVD any significant extras?
    12. Mary Poppins - Exclusive Archive Collection I don't believe either release has covered all supplemental material from this laser, anyone confirm?
    13. Microcosmos - not on DVD, but available in other HV formats, any special features set this apart?
    14. Peter Pan - did supplementary material make it to DVD?
    15. Se7en - Criterion - exclusive supplemental material?
    16. Sleeping Beauty Boxset - Does anyone know if the new 2 disc DVD covers all the laser material?
    17. Showboat - Criterion RafaelB listed this, but I can't find it on IMDB to see if it has a VHS release...
    18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Does the platinum DVD cover all the laser material?
    19. Star Wars Trilogy 1997 Speical editions - not on DVD Any special features unique to laser?
    20. Swiss Family Robinson - Did the two disc version incorporate all the laserdisc material?
    21. Tombstone: Director's Cut - I believe this cut is different from the Vista series cut
    22. Tron - Exlusive Archive Collection -Does anyone know if the two disc release covered all laserdisc supplemental material?
    23. Wyatt Earp: Special Expanded Edition - regular or extended edition are not on DVD is either not available on other HV formats, and are there any special features?
    1. Titles available on Laser and other HV formats but not DVD
      For now I'll just link to JayE's post and will add others below this.
    2. Schindler's List - Limited Edition - not on DVD

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - longer cut and proper titles only available on ld

The Long, Long Trailer - only available on ld

In the Good Old Summertime - only available on ld

Lifeboat - only available on ld

Desk Set - only available on ld

A Goofy Movie - OAR only on ld

Grumpy Old Men - OAR only on ld

Grumpier Old Men - OAR only on ld

4. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Well-Known Member

Dave Simkiss
    One you may have missed is Ghostbusters. According to IMDB a few of the deleted scenes from the Criterion CAV didn’t make it to the Columbia DVD. I don’t actually have the LD, so can anyone confirm?

• The ``green slimer'' ghost is discovered by two newlyweds at the Hotel Sedgewick. Also cut was a Ghostbuster inspection of the room.

(the newlyweds discovering slimer is on the DVD, but I don’t remember seeing a Ghostbuster inspection of the room)

• A policeman tries to ticket the Ectomobile, but the car won't let him.

• Ray and Winston inspect Fort Detmerring, where Ray dresses in an old General's coat and falls asleep. When he awakes, he sees a female ghost above his bed. This part of the sequence was kept and used in the montage in the middle of the film.

5. RafaelB

RafaelB Well-Known Member

RE: Disney's Hunchback Laser Boxset

I can confirm that the current DVD doesn't have all the supplements, esp. deleted scenes/musical numbers

RE: Nightmare Before Xmas Laser Boxset

Again, the DVD, although pretty comprehensive and with DTS, doesn't have the full documentary and the Henry Selick short films.

Some other Laser Boxsets with unreleased stuff:

My Fair Lady- documentary and loads of stills not on current DVD

King Kong: Criterion CAV set- still not available

Showboat (1936): Criterion- not available

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

Rafael

6. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Well-Known Member

Some other laserdisc-exclusive features that I have in my own collection that aren't on DVD:

1. Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress Version - The edit is different from the version that appears on the DVD. In addition, there is also a trailer to the film that's not on the DVD.

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Criterion Collection - The original theatrical cut of Spielberg's film is preserved, with the exception of a brief insert shot from the Special Edition, on the bulk of the each disc. SE scenes are after the theatrical cut, followed by trims that didn't make either the original or SE. Two trims, of the audience's applause to Lacombe's speech, and of Roy, Jillian, and another fellow fighting the Army officers and escaping out of the helicopter, are on the laserdisc and not on the DVD. In addition, the supplements that appear on the final side are not on the DVD.

3. Superman: The Movie - Original theatrical cut with original audio tracks, not included on the DVD. Original aspect ratio.

4. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace - 93-minute extended version released on Japanese laserdisc by Tohokushinshu Home Video from a Cannon Films print of the film. It has a slightly different main title sequence with the Cannon logo and the credits "The Cannon Group Presents / A Golan-Globus Production", followed by the rest of the film as is. The two scenes of the tornado and of Superman saving Red Square are maintained in this print and not on the U.S./Canadian print on the WB DVD. Aspect ratio of the film is different from the WB DVD, I would estimate 2:1.

5. Terminator 2 Pioneer laserdisc - In addition to the Guns 'n' Roses music video, select the script option. Pressing Play on the remote will allow you to access the entire script at warp speed, along with an accelerated image of the fiery playground and T-800 endoskeleton accompanied by Brad Fiedel's music, all from the main title sequence.

6. Dr. No Criterion Collection - Exclusive audio commentary through the film, different from the DVD. Vintage 1960's TV spots advertising Bond bread and other 007-related toys, not on the DVD.

7. From Russia With Love Criterion Collection - Exclusive audio commentary through the film, different from what is on the DVD.

8. Goldfinger Criterion Collection - Exclusive audio commentary through the film, different from what appears on the DVD. Vintage 1960's TV spots advertising Bond bread, not on the DVD.

9. Independence Day SE - No theatrical cut present on the laserdisc, only the SE cut. Audio option in the deleted original ending allows you to choose viewing the scene with or without Roland Emmerich's audio commentary, whereas on the DVD you can only view the scene with the audio commentary present.

10. The War of the Roses - The entire script is present and viewable on the laserdisc. Danny DeVito's introduction to the deleted scenes specifically mentions the bonus features for the laserdisc buff.

11. American Graffiti - Original opening shot of film kept intact on THX widescreen laserdisc, no CGI sunset.
    Original theatrical trailer in original widescreen aspect ratio. My copy of the SE has the trailer in fullscreen format (why did they screw with that?).

Those are the ones I can think of at this early time in the morning. I'm sure there are probably a few others that will come to me later on.

7. Jay E

Jay E Well-Known Member

Titles released OAR on Laser but not on DVD:

Fearless
    The Great Santini
    Clean & Sober
    Gator
    White Lightning

Here's just a small list of titles available on Laser but not yet on DVD (region 1):

7-Ups, The
    7 Women
    10 Rillington Place
    11 Harrowhouse
    27th Day, The
    49th Parallel, The
    84 Charlie Mopic
    Abbott & Costello Meet Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man
    Abbott & Costello Meet the Killer Boris Karloff
    Accidental Tourist, The
    Across the Pacific
    After Hours
    African Queen, The
    After the Thin Man
    Agatha
    Agony & the Ecstasy, The
    Alexander the Great
    Alias Jesse James
    Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
    All Over Me
    Alleghany Uprising
    Americanization of Emily, The
    Angels With Dirty Faces
    Anna
    Anna Christie
    Anna Karenina
    Anne of the Thousand Days
    Another Thin Man
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Asphalt Jungle, The
    At the Circus
    Atlantis, The Lost Continent
    Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
    Baby, The Rain Must Fall
    Bachelor & the Bobby Soxer, The
    Back to Bataan
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    Ballad of Cable Hogue
    Band of Angels
    Bandwagon, The
    Battle of the Bulge
    Battleground
    Beast of Hollow Mountain
    Beast With Five Fingers
    Beau Geste
    Bedazzled
    Bedlam
    Bellboy, The
    Berlin Express
    Best Man, The
    Beyond Rangoon
    Big Steal, The
    Black Cat, The (Ulmer)
    Black Room, The
    Blackboard Jungle, The
    Blonde Crazy
    Blonde Venus
    Blood & Wine
    Blood on the Moon
    Blow Up
    Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
    Bobby Deerfield
    Body Snatcher, The
    Boom Town
    Borrower, The
    Boy With Green Hair
    Boys in the Band
    Brewster McCloud
    Brides of Dracula
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
    Bringing Up Baby
    Broken Lance
    Brother Orchid
    Bullets or Ballots
    Bullfighter & the Lady, The
    Buona Sera, Mrs Campbell
    Burn!
    Burn, Witch, Burn
    Butcher Boy, The
    Calling Northside 777
    Camille
    Captain Blood
    Career Girls
    Cat People (Lewton)
    Cemetery Man
    Charley Varrick
    Chase, The (1966)
    Child is Waiting, A
    Children of the Damned
    Christmas in July
    Clash By Night
    Climax, The
    Clock, The
    Cobweb, The
    Cold Turkey
    Colossus: The Forbin Project
    Come Back Little Sheba
    Command Decision
    Coogan's Bluff
    Counterfeit Traitor
    Court Martial of Billy Mitchell, The
    Creature Walks Among Us, The
    Creeping Flesh, The
    Criss Cross
    Crossfire
    Crossing Delancey
    Crucible, The
    Curse of the Cat People
    Curse of the Faceless Man
    Curse of the Werewolf
    Daddy Long Legs (1955)
    Dangerous
    David & Bathsheba
    David Copperfield
    Day at The Races, A
    Day of the Triffids
    Days of Wine & Roses
    Dead, The (1987)
    Dead End
    Deadly Friend
    Deadly Mantis, The
    Deep in My Heart
    Delicate Delinquent, The
    Design for Living
    Desire Under the Elms
    Detective, The
    Devil Doll, The
    Dial M For Murder
    Diary of Anne Frank, The
    Dinner at Eight
    Doctor Cyclops
    Doctor X
    $ (Dollars)
    Down to Earth (1947)
    Drum, The
    Drums Along the Mohawk
    East of Eden
    Egg & I, The
    El Cid
    Electra Glide in Blue
    Enforcer, The (1951)
    Errand Boy, The
    Evil of Frankenstein
    Executive Suite
    Eyewitness (1981)
    Facts of Life
    Fallen Idol, The
    Fancy Pants
    Fanny
    Far From the Madding Crowd
    Fearless Vampire Killers, The
    Fedora
    F.I.S.T.
    Fistful of Dyanamite, A
    Five Came Back
    Five Fingers
    Flesh & the Devil (Garbo)
    Follow the Fleet
    Fool for Love
    Force of Evil
    Foreign Correspondent
    Fountainhead, The
    Four Feathers, The (1939)
    Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, The
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
    Freaks
    Freebie & the Bean
    From Beyond the Grave
    Front, The
    Fugitive, The (John Ford)
    Fury (Fritz Lang)
    Gabriel Over the White House
    Gaslight
    Gay Divorcee, The
    Georgy Girl
    Ghost Ship
    Giant Behemoth, The
    Glass Key, The
    Go West
    Good Earth, The
    Goodbye Mr Chips (1939)
    Gorgan, The
    Grand Hotel
    Grand Prix
    Grapes of Wrath, The
    Great Lie, The
    Great McGinty, The
    Great Moment, The
    Greed
    Green Mansions
    Greetings
    Gumball Rally, The
    Gunfighter, The
    Gunga Din
    Hail the Conquering Hero
    Hangin With the Homeboys
    Harper
    Hawaii
    Heaven Can Wait (1943)
    Heiress, The
    Hide in Plain Sight
    High Anxiety
    Hill, The
    Hit the Ice
    Hoffa
    Holiday
    Home From the Hill
    Honky Tonk
    Hour of the Gun
    House of Dark Shadows
    House of Dracula
    How I Won the War
    How to Steal a Million
    Humoresque
    Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
    I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
    I Confess
    I Could Go on Singing
    I Died a Thousand Times
    I Love You Alice B Toklas
    I Married a Monster From Outer Space
    I Never Sang for my Father
    I Remember Mama
    I Walked With a Zombie
    Ice Follies of 1939
    Ice Palace
    Ice Station Zebra
    I'll Cry Tommorrow
    Illustrated Man, The
    In This Our Life
    Incident, The
    Incredible Shrinking Man, The
    Informer, The
    Innocents, The
    Invisible Boy, The
    Invisible Man Returns, The
    Invisible Man's Revenge, The
    Invisible Ray, The
    Ironweed
    Island of Lost Souls
    Islands in the Streams
    Isle of the Dead
    It Lives Again
    It Should Happen to You
    It's Alive
    It's Always Fair Weather
    Jane Eyre
    Jazz Singer, The (1927)
    Jesse James
    Johnny Angel
    Johnny Guitar
    Journey Into Fear
    Judgment at Nuremburg
    Julia
    Julius Caeser
    Kafka
    Kansas City
    Keys of the Kingdom
    King Kong
    King of the Hill
    Kiss of Death (1995)
    Krays, The
    Ladies Man, The
    Lady in Cement
    Lady Killer
    Land of the Pharohs
    Land Unknown, The
    Last Exit to Brooklyn
    Last Voyage, The
    Late Show, The
    League of Gentleman, The
    Leech Woman, The
    Leopard Man, The
    Les Miserables (1936)
    Let Him Have It
    Letter, The
    Letter From An Unkown Woman
    Letter to Three Wives, A
    Life is Sweet
    Life of Emile Zola, The
    List of Adrian Messenger, The
    Little Caeser
    Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane, The
    Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
    Lonely Are the Brave
    Long Day's Journey Into Night
    Long, Long Trailer, The
    Long Voyage Home, The
    Lorenzo's Oil
    Lost Patrol, The
    Loved One, The
    Lust for Life
    Lusty Men, The
    Mad Love
    Madame Sousatzka
    Magnetic Monster, The
    Magnificent Ambersons, The
    Major Dundee
    Man of No Importance, A
    Man Who Could Work Miracles, The
    Mannequin (1937)
    Manny & Lo
    Mary of Scotland
    Mask, The (1961)
    Mark of the Vampire
    Mask of Fu Manchu
    Meet Me in St Louis
    Meeting Venus
    Men, The
    Men Don't Leave
    Merril's Marauders
    Mickey One
    Mighty Joe Young
    Milagro Beanfield War, The
    Miracle of Morgan's Creek
    Missouri Breaks, The
    Mr & Mrs Smith
    Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House
    Mr Lucky
    Mr Skeffington
    Modern Romance
    Mogambo
    Mole People, The
    Molly Maguires, The
    Monolith Monsters, The
    More the Merrier, The
    Moulin Rouge
    Monster on the Campus
    Morocco
    Mrs Parker & the Vicious Circle
    Murder Ahoy
    Murder at the Gallop
    Murder Most Foul
    Murder My Sweet
    Murder She Said
    Murders in the Rue Morgue
    Music of Chance, The
    Mutiny on the Bounty - both versions
    My Darling Clementine
    My Own Private Idaho
    Naked
    Naked Jungle, The
    Naked Prey, The
    Narrow Margin, The (1952)
    Naughty Nineties, The
    Neanderthal Man, The
    Never So Few
    New York, New York
    Newsfront
    Night at the Opera, A
    Night of the Iguana
    Night Moves
    Night of Dark Shadows
    Nightcomers, The
    Nightmare (1963)
    Ninotchka
    Nocturne
    Northwest Passage
    Nun's Story, The
    O Lucky Man
    Old Maid, The
    On Dangerous Ground
    One Million B.C.
    One Million Years B.C.
    One Trick Pony
    Operation Crossbow
    Out of the Past
    Palm Beach Story, The
    Panic in Needle Park
    Panic in the Streets
    Panic in Year Zero
    Paranoic
    Party Girl (1958)
    Passage to Marseille
    Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
    Patsy, The
    Pawnbroker, The
    Penn & Teller Get Killed
    Performance
    Permanent Record
    Petrified Forest, The
    Phantom of the Opera (1962)
    Picture of Dorian Grey
    Pitfall
    Point Blank
    Possessed (1947)
    Postman Always Rings Twice, The
    Power, The (1968)
    President's Analyst, The
    Prick Up Your Ears
    Prisoner of Second Avenue, The
    Prodigal, The (1955)
    Public Enemy
    Quatermass Xperiment, The
    Queen Christina
    Quiet Earth, The
    Quo Vadis
    Racket, The
    Ragtime
    Rainbow, The
    Rainmaker, The (1956)
    Raintree Country
    Rancho Notorious
    Raven, The (Karloff/Lugosi)
    Razor's Edge, The
    Red Dust
    Red Planet Mars
    Red Tent, The
    Reincarnation of Peter Proud, The
    Retuen of Frank James
    Revenge of the Creature
    Ride em Cowboy
    Ride the High Country
    Rise & Fall of Legs Diamond, The
    Rita, Sue & Bob Too
    Ritz, The
    Roaring Twenties, The
    Rose Tattoo, The
    Ruggles of Red Gap, The
    Ryan's Daughter
    Sammy & Rosie Get Laid
    Sadie McKee
    San Francisco
    Scarecrow
    Scared Stiff
    Sea Chase, The
    Sea Hawk, The
    Secrets & Lies
    September Affair
    Set-Up, The
    Seventh Veil, The
    Seventh Victim
    Shadow of the Thin Man
    Shall We Dance
    Shock to the System, A
    Singing Nun, The
    Snapper, The
    Some Came Running
    Somebody Up There Likes Me
    Son of Kong
    Song of the Thin Man
    Songwriter
    Smile
    Smithereens
    Snake Pit, The
    Sometimes a Great Notion
    Spanking the Monkey
    Spy Who Came in From the Cold, The
    Stage Door
    Stage Fright
    Stanley & Iris
    Star!
    Starting Over
    Stay Hungry
    Stolen Life, A
    Story of Louis Pasteur, The
    Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, The
    Strange Door, The
    Stranger on the Third Floor
    Study in Terror, A
    Sugarland Express, The
    Summer & Smoke
    Summer Place, A
    Sunshine Boys, The
    Suspicion
    Sweet Bird of Youth
    Swing Time
    Sylvia Scarlett
    Tale of Two Cities, A
    Tall Story
    Tarantula
    Tarzan & His Mate
    Tarzan Escapes
    Tarzan Finds a Son
    Tarzan's New York Adventure
    Tarzan's Secret Treasure
    Tea & Sympathy
    Teahouse of the August Moon
    Tell Them Willie Boy is Here
    That Sinking Feeling
    That's Entertainment
    That's Entertainment II
    That's Entertainment III
    There Was a Crooked Man
    They Live by Night
    They Won't Believe Me
    Thieves Like Us
    This Could Be the Night
    This Gun for Hire
    Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies
    Those Magnificent Men in Their Fllying Machines
    Thousand Clowns, A
    Three Little Words
    THX 1138
    Time of Their Lives, The
    To Be or Not To Be
    Tom, Dick & Harry
    Tomorrow is Forever
    Tony Rome
    Top Hat
    Topaze
    Torch Song
    Trapeze
    Travels With My Aunt
    Tree Grows in Brooklyn, A
    True Confessions
    Tunes of Glory
    Tunnel of Love
    Turning Point, The
    Twilight's Last Gleaming
    Twin Town
    Two for the Road
    Two for the Seesaw
    Two Rode Together
    Two Weeks in Another Town
    Unfaithfuly Yours (Sturges)
    Unholy, The
    Uninvited, The
    Valley of the Dolls
    Vanishing Point
    Village of the Damned
    Vincent & Theo
    Viva Zapata
    Wagonmaster
    Walking Dead, The
    Waterloo Bridge
    What's New Pussycat
    When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth
    When Ladies Meet
    White Heat
    Wild at Heart
    Wild in the Streets
    Wild Rovers
    Wish You Were Here
    Woman in the Window
    Woman' Face, A
    Words & Music (1948)
    World of Suzie Wong, The
    World, the Flesh & the Devil, The
    Wrong Box, The
    Wrong is Right
    Wrong Man, The
    Yakuza, The
    Young Man With a Horn
    Young Mr Lincoln
    Young Poisoner's Handbook, The
    Young Savages, The
    Young Stranger, The
    You're a Big Boy Now
    Zabriskie Point

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Well-Known Member

I saw a listing on Ebay for "Steppenwolf."

jdg

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

"Until the End of the World" (Wim Wenders) the four hour cut was only ever distributed by NHK/Sony in Japan, and included the film "Dream Island" .. neither has been released on DVD (at all)

10. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Well-Known Member

Ransom on LD is the Director's Cut.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Well-Known Member

WS "Silver Streak". [​IMG]

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Well-Known Member

There are no laserdisc supplements - only a copy of the paperback novel and a soundtrack CD

Now here's a few that I can think of off-hand (since they are still in my collection)

The Flintstones - The First Fourteen Episodes - not on DVD
    Dr. Strangelove (Criterion CAV) - includes the infamous 'Duck And Cover' short plus 'My Teenage Fallout Queen'
    12 Monkeys - complete commentary (cut off on DVD)
    E.T. (1996 Box Set) - 1996 making-of documentary includes interviews with Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore; alternate-audio John Williams original score; Gold soundtrack CD
    Golden Age Of Looney Tunes Vol 1-5 - so many of the historic shorts are unlikely to be issued on DVD , especially Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips from Vol. 1
    Pink Floyd - The Wall (1997 Image/MGM edition) - commentary by Alan Parker not on DVD
    The Boys From Brazil (Pioneer SE) - Jerry Goldsmith isolated score
    Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow - unavailable on DVD
    Hearts Of Darkness - m/o Apocalypse Now, unavailable on DVD
    Mary Poppins (Image THX CLV edition) includes isolated score
    Talking Heads - Storytelling Giant - not on DVD
    Metropolis (1984 Moroeder edition) - not on DVD, now more unlikely than ever

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Well-Known Member

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell

15. earl_roberts

earl_roberts Well-Known Member

Taxi Driver CC Laser has a Scorsese commentary track which isn't on the Columbia DVD

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    The VHS special edition has the LD workprint version and a trailer. The earlier edition which was letterboxed only at 2:1 had the documentary. (For It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World)

Also worth noting... the laserdisc of Abel Gance's Napoleon has a lengthy stills gallery at the end of the film.... and it has slightly different shots in terms of framing. Some shots during the 3-panel ending are a lot bigger (since some parts are only middle panel) rather than letterboxed all the way through on the tape.

Cats Don't Dance is widescreen while the DVD is not. I made $30 thanks to Warner Family. [​IMG]

17. Reagan

Reagan Well-Known Member

Reagan

18. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

19. Jo_C

Jo_C Well-Known Member

Some slight corrections and additions I'd like to make.

First, on Bill Williams' statement on "Close Encounters"...the Criterion version has the original cut as the primary version, but in addition to the brief UFO shadow shot lifted from the "Special Edition", it is minus another 25 seconds of trims seen in the original 1977 version that Spielberg wanted out of the film's context. As I've explained elsewhere on the net, this includes a bit of Roy driving the truck in the tunnel; a brief shot of the neighborhood after Roy Neary's wife has left him (while "Days Of Our Lives" is playing on TV in the background); and Roy, Jillian, and a reporter running in Devil's Tower vicinity (after Lacombe's line "it is an event of socialogical"). The sequence where Lacombe is getting applause is from the SE and can be programmed to play the SE (albeit a different SE edit, as I also explained elsewhere) with the applause in its proper context.

And Patrick McCart, the first letterboxed VHS release of the "restored" workprint to "...Mad World" had a ratio of 1.77:1, not 2:1. All early TNT and TCM broadcasts of this were presented as such. It was only after the VHS was reissued years later that the full 2.55:1 Super Panavision/Cinerama ratio was presented (a new video master apparently was originated from the LD release).

Other corrections: the "work-in-progress" and original theatrical versions of "Beauty And The Beast" on LD were in the VistaVision negative ratio of 1.66:1.

The now out-of-print "E.T." DVD contains the documentary "E.T.--A Look Back", which is really a condensed half-hour version of the feature-length LD documentary "The Making Of E.T." (found on the Signature Collection LD edition).

The LD of "Gettysburg" contains the longest cut released thus far, about a half-hour longer than the theatrical cut currently represented on DVD. This cut was supervised by the director himself.

And "Fantasia"'s LD box set (one probably not mentioned on your original list) contains the 50th Anniversary re-release, which technically is the general release version minus the interstitial extensions recently restored in the "roadshow version re-creation" now on DVD, but it does contain Deems Taylor's original narration tracks instead of Corey Burton's redubs now seen on DVD. It also has the TV "making-of" documentary hosted ty Michael Tucker ("L.A. Law").

I guess that's about it from me for now.

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Gas Pump Girls, from Vestron. An important movie because it was filmed in Sacramento. I've shot some recent video of the location as it is today for any eventual DVD release though!
    And of course, Smoking: How To Stop.