What's new

Everwood 9/22/03 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As much as I liked last week's episode, there was something that felt off. I was worried this indescribible something would taint the whole season. And then "Extra Ordinary" comes along and proves that the Everwood writers are at the top of their game. The way they showed the growth of both Doctors and their children and intermingled the plotlines was excellent. And the moment when Andy took Ephram out of the SAT prep class made me want to cheer. I'm also glad to see Bright getting a little character development, and that even when they put a character on the backburner, like they did with Amy, they can still further the ongoing arc.

Everwood does decent event episodes. But where it really shines is in the episodes in between. For most shows, these would be filler; for Everwood they are the lifeblood of the town. And the way they can hint at change like Dr. Brown regaining his confidence without hammering it into the audience is so refreshing. It's nice to see a show with the patience to resolve problems gradually over the course of several episodes (but also when to have resolution so as not to string the audience along indefinitely.) What a wonderful show. And thank God for the WB; on the main networks this show would have gone the way of 'The Education of Max Bickford' and other shows which dared to trust in the intellect of their audience.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: I've split this off from the season premiere. I just want to see if there's enough interest to do individual episode threads. We can combine the threads later if interest wanes.

My thoughts: It was good to see the characters get back to who they are, or who they want to be.

Amy's in a funk, but might accept therapy to get her ship righted.

Ephraim's getting the support he needs from Andy.

Andy's got his medical balls back.

Bright's got a tough row to hoe, scholastically speaking.

Harold's got his hands full with his kids.

What was kind of interesting was how many who have been rejected by Julliard don't see it as a minus, with years of perspective. Those who do get into the school share stories that there's a circulation problem in some floors of one of their buildings (due to having to keep the climate to preserve stratovarious violins). I wish I could remember where I saw the bad vibes about Julliard.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Solid episode. I too am very glad that they are developing Bright more, as well as giving Mrs. Abbott more to do. That's the great thing about this show, there are some great characters hanging around that still have lots of room left to develop them.

Dr. Abbott's explosion about Bright not being smart enough was just wonderful. It was a real mistake that parents make. I also love how Mrs. Abbott talked to Amy about them both being childish. another great humanizing moment.

I'm still waiting for Nina to crush the town's 'idol worship' of high school heroes with her bit of news about a former high school hero.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I even liked Delia's comment at the end (about not being a genius and getting to sleep in), but it might lead to some lack of self esteem, perhaps.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, someone reminded me where I heard the Julliard stories (of crushing the musical dreams and aspirations of applicants and attendees of the school): At Dragon Con last month, James Marsters talked about how not getting into the school was fortuitous. An audience member shared her story about how Juliard told her she'd never be good enough, and she quit music from that point in her life, and has regretted it terribly.

I wonder if more stories about schools like Julliard in the same vein will continue to crop up in stories about not letting someone or some institution get in your way to pursue your dreams on your terms.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I'm still waiting for Nina to crush the town's 'idol worship' of high school heroes with her bit of news about a former high school hero.
Could someone elaborate, I seem to have forgotten about this. Spoiler it if neccessary, thanks!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ryan:Nina discovered in one episode that her oft-travelling husband has been cheating with her. Finally, she confronts the person that her husband is cheating with and finds out that he's a guy. The reason her husband had been avoiding her over the years was because he was gay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks