What's new

DVDs you regret purchasing (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I've got about 80 Criterions now and I tend to think about them as movies with great potential for repeat viewings - if I'll ever get around to it... I'm very pleased with them - most of them "blind buys" in the sense that I hadn't seen them before, but I read reviews and think at least twice before I order. Interestingly enough, most of the Criterion titles mentioned in this thread so far are not among the ones included in my collection...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I forgot to mention 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' - the animated one. For some reason, they made the Grinch yellow. I generally watch that at least once every Christmas season but I'd rather watch it on cable TV than on a DVD with the wrong colors.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There's a re-release of How the Grich Stole Christmas with corrected colors now.

To my list I shoudl add Braveheart and Princess Mononoke. Not that there's anything wrong with the movies, but I bought them from Ebay and Yahoo auctions, respectively and they were bootlegs. I couldn't get my money back either.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Anything that I have impulse bought out of the Wal-Mart $6 cheap bin!!!

The only thing I ever saw in that thing that I would keep forever is the Adam West 60s Batman movie, and I paid full price $15 when that came out originally.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Saving John Malkovich

Space: 1999. God I actually watched this as a kid.

Andromeda Series. Not because I disliked it, because the seasons started to suck so now I have an unfinished series because I won't pay for the rest.

Charlies Angels: Full Throttle

Men in Black II

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There's a re-release of How the Grich Stole Christmas with corrected colors now.
Does this version get rid of the mosquito noise as well, 'cause it's really distracting.
I only have one regret in my DVD collection, and that's the Seville pan-and-scan version of Run Lola Run; as soon as I get around to finding and buying the Columbia TriStar version, the Seville one's going to the pawn shop.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i'll have to agree with WillG, they come out so fast it's tough to get any reviewing in. but i like the fact that if i'm craving a movie, it'll be there.

eric

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Doctor Zhivago. And that's only because I haven't watched it yet - it's been laying on the shelf for six months. It's a bit too long time to keep a film on the shelf but not to watch it. I don't know if that's regretting but my philosophy is that I won't buy any dvd's which I'll never watch.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, regarding the original MGM DVD release of 2001: True, the letterboxed-only transfer is, at best, passable. But the disc has the virtue of containing that prerelease talk given by Arthur C. Clarke to NASA workers just weeks prior to the film's premier. It also contains the original theatrical trailer. Neither of those features is available on the newer disc — though I do love the showcase-run theatrical trailer it includes. My advice, therefore, is to hold onto that original release. Perhaps this will be a moot point if Warner ever finds it in itself to give this film the all-out SE it so richly deserves. JB

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Adaptation.

What a crappy film.:frowning: One of the worst one I've ever seen... First time I didn't finish a film and close the player half-way to the end...

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Crazy, Adaptation is my favorite movie EVER. I think it's brilliant. Right up there with 8 1/2 and The Third Man.

I bought Chinatown blind and I have to say that's one of the most overrated movies of all time. That and the Matrix.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Oh good, I don't think anyone else has mentioned "SPHERE" - what crap!

Let's see, what else...."GOLDMEMBER" -- enough, already.

"BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY" & "THE EXORCIST", just don't see the appeal...

"DESPERATE MEASURES" is about on par w/"SPHERE...

All in all, though, not too many. I've got a ton of DVDs, however, that I haven't seen -- so I'm sure the number will go up over time.

MH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah. They missed out on an opportunity to have a Kubrick commentary. It will be too bad if they miss out on a Clarke commentary for the film. He has to be getting up there.

....Then again, I just read that Clarke thinks there is vegetation and what looks like Banyan trees on Mars. He claims to have seen this stuff on pictures taken by the Mars Global surveyor. Maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to have him do a commentary for 2001: A Space Odyssey. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Buying sequels on the strength of the originals has made me regret purchasing

Charlies Angels Full Throttle
Terminator III
Blade II

And some artsy films I gave a chance to but shouldn't have include:

CQ
Adaptation

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Although they are some of my favorite movies, I regret getting the first editions of:

-The Sixth Sense
-Memento

These titles were subsequently double-dipped with DTS tracks, more extras, etc.

Movies I bought blindly, which I wish I could just return, are:

-The Hidden Fortress
-Where Eagles Dare

I just couldn't get into them.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. I wasn't too jazzed about the movie in theaters, thought it was woefully uninvolving, but was convinced that the Extended Version would rectify most of my problems. It didn't, I still find the film to be uninvolving. The extras may get kudos around these parts, but there is such a thing as excessive. Worst part was I used the free ticket to see 'The Two Towers" and didn't like it any better, even though people convinced me again that it was better. I found it less compelling than the first.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I've got about 6 of them that I just threw away the other day because I hated them being on my shelve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks