What's new

DVDPedia and other Mac cataloging software (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Expensive compared to what? If you buy the DVDPedia/CDPedia/BookPedia bundle you pay (using your -20%) $45.20.

The equivalent bundle from ReaderWare costs $75. Delicious Monster costs $40 (and gives you far less functionality).

Ted

ErichH

Screenwriter
Interesting review, but after using DVD Profiler in VPC for years, the Mac attempts don't compare in any form. I certainly gave most of them a try.
Given that it will run it native when I switch to an intel Mac (G5 Dual for now) I don't have to hope for a port. I knew they'd never get around to it for X, but they have no excuse not to at this point. What's funny, is my only use for Windoze is DVD Profiler (as Before ;)

E

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Erich, did you actually try the current version of DVDPedia? I find it difficult to believe that DVDProfiler is still better -- how??

As for DVDProfiler for OS X, it was always clear it was never going to happen. It is written in Delphi (a.k.a. bastardized Pascal), which as a completely obsolete, Windows only development system. (I mean, lets face it, when was Mac OS software last being developed in Pascal -- 1989? OS 4?? I know the last time I wrote a professional piece of software in Pascal was the spring of 1986).

Ted

ErichH

Screenwriter
Ted
It's been over a year, so no not lately. For over 3 years I did try almost every app on the Mac side. Profiler's filters and backup online are it's strong points. Some of the Mac apps were able to show a good bit of info on 1 page, but nothing like Profiler. The data on it's server has much more info per film than any retailer, or imdb.
Believe me, I always had high hopes for the Mac side and have been shocked there was no one developing to compete. You'd think Apple would have something by now. With movies getting started in iTunes, the future could be bright. Apple would do it better than any ware guy - assuming they want to.
I'll give pedia another look, JIC ;)

E

Jace_A

Second Unit
I love DVDPedia. It easily bests DVD Profiler in my opinion, although I find the iSight application annoying (much easier just to punch in the barcode numbers).

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator

I purchased DVDpedia early this year. After using it for a couple of months they upgraded the software but you had to pay for it, because they deemed the update 'significant'. I refused. When I buy software I expect that future upgrades are included with the price, now matter how significant they are.

Who knows next year they might charge you for another update. Thumbs down for them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

any further thoughts on pedia or delicious.
or have any other cataloguing programs appeared.

i guess profiler is still windows only?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks