What's new

*****dvd Player Will Not Turn On****** (2 Viewers)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I came home from work today and was about to start watching some more of my DS9 DVDs but my DVD player will not turn on. Yes it is plugged in and I do have power. When I press the power button on the DVD remote the player begins to start up but with in a few seconds it shuts off. This all happens before any logo from the player appears on the screen. The player is a Sony DVP-S9000ES. It worked fine last night and I don't see any evidence of the power going out while I was at work. All the clocks still have the right time on them. This is strange and I've only had the player since Oct '02. Has anyone experienced a problem similar too this? I'm I screwed? This maybe the last straw for Sony, there stuff just doesn't last long enough.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Why not unplug it for a while...say overnight, then plug it back in. Good chance that it may reset itself back to normal.

Good luck

Alf

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thanks for the advice. I left it unplugged all night but it had no effect. It is still under warranty so I took it to an authorized Sony Service Center today. I've just heard nightmare stories about people dealing with Sony Costumer Service about warranty issues. Hopefully everything will be okay.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
It'll take a couple of weeks or months but I'm sure they'll take of you. The warranty on the 9000ES is 5 years right?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've dealt with the Sony Service Center in St. Louis twice for warranty repairs and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They gave me no hassle about anything and in both cases my equipment was repaired and back in my living room in less than a week.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I had the same thing happen to my 23 month old Panny RP91 about a week ago. I'd left it unplugged for about 8 days while on vacation, came home and hooked up the system, and everything powered up but the DVD player. I finally got it to power up long enough to put a DVD in, but then it died again trapping the DVD.

I tried repeated HW resets by plugging/unplugging the power on 3 minute intervals, but no joy. It would power up long enough to display, "Welcome to DVD World," then would shut down. It would only power back up after unplugging the power for a few minutes, then plugging the power back up.

I took it in for service under warranty (one of the rare times I have ever bought an extended warranty) and the shop has ordered a component. I have no idea what they've found yet and hope to get the player back sometime this week.

I posted here inquiring if anyone else had seen this, but got no responses.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks