What's new

DVD Enthusiasts v DVD Snobs (1 Viewer)

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Same here! I had never heard of EE, or ringing, etc. until I started reading this board. Being a snob made me a smarter shopper.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm a junkie as well. I have 1400 discs ranging from Superman IV to Gosford Park to The Toxic Avenger part III to Citizen Kane.

Pete T C

Second Unit
So what is someone who likes best quality audio/video and doesn't care about extras (unless its a documentary or based-on-fact movie)? :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

If someone is being picky about e.g. the safety of child car seats, then yes, they're doing everyone a favour. If someone is picky because a DVD is released in the wrong aspect ratio or the picture quality is appalling, again, they're doing us a favour. But bitching about something that is perfectly okay but lacks what a small group of diehard fans think is 'essential' (a view not held by the majority of people including film buffs and the director, but heck, what do they know?) is just plain dumb.

Getting back on thread, I think I'm a DVD Slob. I buy something because I want to see the movie. Given the choice of different regions or manufacturers, I'll always go for the best quality sound and picture, but in general I don't give a r's a about whether there are extras. The only time I'll upgrade is if there is a huge increase in picture quality (e.g. the Loz of Arabia Superbit), sound, etc. However, I cling to the naive belief that DVDs are there for watching the programmes/movies on them.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

1. I was not speaking to you. For someone who supposedly finds my attitude unbearable, you sure like to go out of your way to antagonize me.

2. Read the original post. Those three items are listed in the definition of a DVD snob.

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I guess I'm devinitely a DVD Junkie. With over 600 titles, I show no signs of slowing. I have everything from "Eraserhead" to "Tromeo and Juliet" I buy horror movies reguardless of how bad they are (is there really such a thing, when it comes to horror? I think not!). I rarely replace discs, though like with the Goodfellas SE I did because the old one is a flipper.

I, too, have hordes of commentary tracks that I've never listened to. I have, however, listened to more than one, but most likely less than 20 over my whole collection. I could care less if a dvd has a commentary track usually, and I'm kinda on the fence about extras such as documentaries. It is nice that they are there, but I don't watch much of them.

What really chaps my hide are studios that sit on footage that they could include but choose not to, like the "Friday the 13th" box set.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

This is me, all the way. I don't pick up so many titles, but I'm definitely obsessive about a film getting as many extras as possible along with it on a DVD--and the FIRST time, too, Universal! I don't want to see any more first or second iterations of releases like "American Pie," "Patch Adams" and "The Mummy"--among other notorious crimes of DVD marketing--wasting space in landfills for the next millennium.

If I were a DVD producer, I'd certainly want to fill my disc with as many interesting extras as I could scrounge up without compromising image or sound quality. I'm not a snob--most edge enhancement doesn't bother me, for instance--but I just want to get the most value for my DVD-buying buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks