What's new

DVD-A Issues? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The problem disc for my 563 was the DVD-A edition of "Tommy" by The Who. There may have been one other DVD-A as well but I just don't remember which one. All SACD and DTS discs I tried played as they should have.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
There was one other benefit that I received from the firmware update. My player lost its ability to start a movie where I left off. It just quit doing that after a couple months. After the firmware upgrade, that feature returned.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The reason the Pioneer couldn't play those "problem" discs is because those discs were created using a new version of a certain brand of dvd-a authoring software. But AFAIK, this specific Pioneer player (and I think certain branded versions of it) was the only hi-res player that had a problem with that. Though it wasn't totally their fault, IMO Pioneer didn't handle this issue very well i.e. they should have allowed customers to download the software update from their official website, burn it to CD-R and load the new software themselves, rather than jump through all those hoops (shipping the player to a repair center yada yada) to get their player updated.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Make sure you reset your preferences (speaker size,volume...ect).
You lose your settings when you upgrade...mine did.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Tommy was the very first hi-rez audio disc I bought -- I bought it the night I bought the player (which I was getting mainly to upgrade to a progressive-scan player). But it was the SACD and I never had any trouble with it. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Also have the 563A. First time I've heard of a DTS, Inc. DVD-A disc's high rez tracks not playing due to new authoring that necessitates upgraded player firmware. All the other titles I've heard of that brought this issue to light were UMG (Tommy) and mainly Warner (Seal IV, Greendale).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Not yet it doesn't, but not for lack of trying. ;) I would like to get Deadwing onto my iPod (then again, I don't think I attempted to simply rip it using iTunes).

I *think* the drive is a Toshiba -- it came from the factory in my Dell desktop about 3 years ago.

krowel

Auditioning
Real Name
tim
you need to connect via multi channel out on your dvd-a player & multi channel in on your av receiver if this does not work you need buy proper dvd-a player

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks